Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-05-2008, 19:35   #46
PepperDog
Asset

Aoresteen,

This particular company is issuing us a Beretta 92 F'd up and an M-4 for "personal defense".

I haven't heard of the CVS and I'm calling my recruiter first thing in the morning about it. The folks going to Iraq are doing CRC at Benning but we're doing something else in Virginia and truth be told we haven't gotten a lot of detail about what it is beyond some form of basic schooling.

I've already got a load of junk that the family's shipping off once I get settled but the bedding's a great idea.

Knowing how much I can bring helps me plan a little more because the organization factor, while not horrible, could be better with this company.

Snow spikes is something I had only given a fleeting thought to, any particular brands/types favored over another?
PepperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 13:36   #47
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperDog View Post
Aoresteen,

Snow spikes is something I had only given a fleeting thought to, any particular brands/types favored over another?

Just something that will last and is easy to take off.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:12   #48
PepperDog
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
Just something that will last and is easy to take off.
Cool, I'll do a little research and pick up somethin'.

I truly appreciate all the advice and pointers from you folks. Honestly, I feel a little more prepared already.

A heart felt thanks fellas...
Old 03-07-2008, 20:12   #49
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperDog View Post
Cool, I'll do a little research and pick up somethin'.

I truly appreciate all the advice and pointers from you folks. Honestly, I feel a little more prepared already.

A heart felt thanks fellas...
Frankly, I really doubt that anyone is going to send you anywhere you will need crampons.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 14:10   #50
Cold Steel
Asset

I had the same thoughts in regards to spikes. A good pair of boots with tread should do the job fine. If you are assigned an M-9 you may want to look into a thigh holster, a cord (lanyard) that attachs your pistol to your body, a nice sling for your rifle (I like the Momba), cap covers for the muzzle of your rifle, and some quality magazines for your pistol. Issued or knock offs M-9 pistol mags have a high tendancy to jam your weapon. Not really a lesson you want to learn on a two way range!
it plucks the tiger’s eyes out with its claws.
To stop the stone the shepherd might throw down
to crush its head, the viper bites, and lives.’” --from Saadi’s Gulistan
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 14:18   #51
jwt5
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Steel View Post
I had the same thoughts in regards to spikes. A good pair of boots with tread should do the job fine. If you are assigned an M-9 you may want to look into a thigh holster, a cord (lanyard) that attachs your pistol to your body, a nice sling for your rifle (I like the Momba), cap covers for the muzzle of your rifle, and some quality magazines for your pistol. Issued or knock offs M-9 pistol mags have a high tendancy to jam your weapon. Not really a lesson you want to learn on a two way range!
I would only recommend the muzzle cap if you plan on living on a FOB like Camp Liberty in Iraq and never plan to go outside of the wire. Just my .02.
Old 03-08-2008, 15:53   #52
PepperDog
Asset

More good stuff. Got a thigh rig (I've worn an Uncle Mikes triple retention for years) and I've got a nice one point sling already that I'm really comfortable with but my agency took my lanyard when I resigned, bastards. Not my uniforms or my spare pistol and rifle mags, my lanyard.

I did pick up some of those cheap, shoot off, muzzle caps but I dont know much about the M9. I'm a glock and 1911 guy. I've spent quite a bit of time shooting one lately, not sure which mags perform better than others but I'm doing my homework. I've got some useful down time this coming month. Just runnin', shootin' shoppin' and spendin' time with the family...
Old 03-08-2008, 19:01   #53
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Steel View Post
Actually you'll need them if you do a lot of convoys on roads in the mountains during the winter. Otherwise you'll end up falling on your ass due to the black ice. You can't afford to slip and fall while in contact. The key word is mountains. If he's not going to drive in high altitude than he probably wont need them.

Besides what do I know. I only spent 8 months there in 02/03.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 19:36   #54
Razor
Quiet Professional

To the guys that have the experience, would something like Yak Trax be a better alternative for PepperDog than actual crampons?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 20:18   #55
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

A little mission analysis might be in order.

For all I have read, he might be running security at the DFAC.

pepperdog, how much time you really going to be spending humping in the mountains?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:27   #56
PepperDog
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
A little mission analysis might be in order.

For all I have read, he might be running security at the DFAC.

pepperdog, how much time you really going to be spending humping in the mountains?

TR

TR, good question. I'll be advising and mentoring the local police. So to be honest, I don't really know. I'll either be in the school house or on the road. They can't get anymore mission specific with me until the folks in country find out what I'm qualified to do.

Some folks find themselves on the road, some at the range, some at the airport, some at an outpost somewhere. Nothing terribly exiciting but it beats hell outta writing speeding tickets...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:14   #57
ccrn
Guerrilla

I think a muzzle cap is a good idea whether outside the wire or not. I spent almost everyday "outside the wire" and we used them on our M4s and SAWs. I can tell you from expience that if doodoo hits the fan theyll blow right off so not to worry. On the240s, M2s and Mk19s we had the tailors make us muzzle caps of cloth and elastic.

It might be expensive to buy new magazines for your M9 but an alternative we used was Wolf springs. They can be purchased fairly cheap online.

A product I thought look promising is Microspikes. They slip on and off like Yaktrax only thy have actual spikes rather than just springs that I found to not have the best traction (but wont dull or catch when walking on metal or hardball).

Consider a pillow cover as bedbugs can be a problem on some of the RON areas or FOBS. When we were on the road a lot of us carried our own pillow in a ruck as well as a woobie or twin bed fitted sheet.

A good pair of winter boots is a must (gortex lined)-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 18:16   #58
PepperDog
Asset

CCRN,

Thanx for the advice, Been talking to some prior mission folks and they agree with the micro spikes. I already picked up some mags and all the other good stuff. Gettin' ready to ship shortly and my bags are already over-packed...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18   #59
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn View Post
On the240s, M2s and Mk19s we had the tailors make us muzzle caps of cloth and elastic.
Heh, sounds like a paintball barrel cover.
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40   #60
linedoc
Asset

I've used the microspikes out in Grafenwhor during a Feb. gunnery. I was curious how they worked so I picked up a pair. They worked well but I only used them a few times to 1)see if they worked, and 2) to pull off some shenanigans that required running on ice.

The muzzle covers...not so much IMO. No piece of plastic or cloth is going to take the place of my muzzle awareness or weapon cleaning discipline. We don't use em.