Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 05-15-2005, 21:37   #31
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Fair enough then.

I was referring though to the Battle of Britain, which was decidedly not under control.

There's a movie coming out about it soon with Tom Cruise as one of the...Eagles I think they were called? Apparantly he alone takes out the Luftwaffe, which ties in nicely with the US Navy obtaining Enigma and the US Army taking Normandy all by themselves
Now that The Reaper has owned you...What was the Nazi purpose for the Battle of Britain? What were they after?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 21:50   #32
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Normandy Invasion Casualty Figures (Total, killed wounded, missing)

Germany 320,000
U.S. 135,000
UK 65,000
Canada 18,000
France 12,200

The American deaths at Omaha alone were 2,400, while the toll for the other four beaches combined were about 2,530. Was there a joke in that?

Did the Brits need the U.S. to win the Battle of Britain? The RAF lists it as the Battle fought over Britain between the 10th July and 31st October 1940. We (the U.S.) were not at war then, IIRC.

Do not confuse Hollywood with America.

TR

I'm not confusing the two- I was poking fun at the Hollywood style of alternative history, hence the smilie.

NDD: They were after the annhilation of the RAF in order to get air superiority so they could launch Sea Lion.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 21:50   #33
Manstein
Auxiliary

Quote:
Prior to that, we were in pretty deep on the Allies' side, but were not combatants until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, declared war, and dragged the Germans in with them as Axis members.
That is precisely where the Japanese screwed their German Allies. In 20/20 hindsight, the Japs should of attacked the Soviets around Manchuria and other areas. Unfortunately for them, in 1938 they had a run in with the Soviets at Nomonhan, and realised just how ill equipped they were for fighting the Soviet armoured juggernaut.

Subsequently, the Soviets shifted millions of troops from their own eastern front with Japan, to their western front against the Germans (When the Germans were knocking on Moscow's door). This massive transportation of troops was done via railway and by 400,000 Studebaker trucks (donated by the USA). As you mentioned TR, the US's material donations had a huge impact on the outcome of the War.

Quote:
It does make you wonder what would have happened to the remaining major allies, the Brits and Soviets, had the Japanese waited a year or two and the Nazis had been able to focus their efforts.
I personally feel the war would of had the same outcome, just more drawn out and more deaths. The Soviets knew the Japanese did not want to attack them, since the Japs were slammed at Nomonhan in 38'.

If Hitler let his Generals run most of the campaigns, instead of himself insisting on controlling the battlefield himself, then the Allies would of been in deep kimchi IMO.

Quote:
Did the Brits need the U.S. to win the Battle of Britain?
Most definately. Churchhill was pactically begging for as many ships and supplies we could give him. I believe the U.S. gave him outright 50 WW1 Destroyers. I do credit the Brits with holding on during their "blitz", after that debacle at Dunkirk.
Old 05-15-2005, 21:52   #34
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm not confusing the two- I was poking fun at the Hollywood style of alternative history, hence the smilie.

NDD: They were after the annhilation of the RAF in order to get air superiority so they could launch Sea Lion.
Did they launch Sea Lion?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-15-2005, 21:52   #35
Manstein
Auxiliary

Quote:
About halfway through the Battle of Britain, I believe the focus of the campaign went from "destroy the RAF" to "psychologically damage the Brits morale" by bombing London and other places. Herman Goerring was a Chief proponent of that policy, which only angered the British more.
Old 05-15-2005, 22:05   #36
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Did they launch Sea Lion?
No, thankfully.

We won that one.

Old 05-15-2005, 22:07   #37
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manstein
About halfway through the Battle of Britain, I believe the focus of the campaign went from "destroy the RAF" to "psychologically damage the Brits morale" by bombing London and other places. Herman Goerring was a Chief proponent of that policy, which only angered the British more.
Yeah, and they probably would have won if not for Fat Boy's sillyness.

Old 05-15-2005, 22:08   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No, thankfully.

We won that one.
So what's the problem?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-15-2005, 22:14   #39
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

There is no problem.

Old 05-15-2005, 22:42   #40
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LOL
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33   #41
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Hey, TW, I have been on those Korean hills for training in the winter many years after you were there, and it would definitely be difficult. Thank you for your service there in the "Police Action".

I was referring to the mushroom cloud option, in the event of horde attacks.

TR
I think General Mac Arthur had some thoughts about using Nukes in China, to stop the flow of Chinese "Volunteers" over the the border into North Korea. President Truman sort of took care of that issue.

I some times wonder what would have happened if the General was allowed to have his way and win the Korean war. Would we have had to fight in Vietnam? Would the cold war eneded sooner?

Or would we had to fight WW III?

I liked Gen. MacArthur, even with all his little faults. A great man and fine tactician.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:35   #42
Martin

The illusion of 'Managing' China, by the Washington Post.
Old 05-20-2005, 21:44   #43
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004
Wouldn't it be sensible to think of the Chinese somewhat as a threat, not at the moment, but as a future threat?
EVERYBODY is a potential threat in the future...
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-20-2005, 22:09   #44
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
EVERYBODY is a potential threat in the future...
true...but i still think it's time you switched to decaf...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 22:12   #45
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I never touch the stuff...
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?