Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 06-25-2004, 11:11   #46
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I should add that I generally agree with the premise that our defense spending should be focused on current and reasonably foreseeable threats rather than historical ones. I'm not so sure that the F/A-22 is really needed or worth the price, but I do believe that technological superiority on the battlefield can be decisive in certain conflicts.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12   #47
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
If our only objective is to defend U.S. soil, then I agree that the chances of war with China are remote. There are, however, other matters that could lead to conflict with China over the next 10-15 years. Taiwan is one.
So basically, the only way the Chinese are a threat is if we CHOOSE to go to war with them?

This country could, if it wanted to, burn any point on the planet to bedrock in less than an hour.

The U.S. can put weapons laden aircraft over any point on the globe in less than 24 hours.

We can put a CVBG off the coast of almost any nation in the world in under 48 hours.

We can put a brigade on the ground of any country on the planet in less than 48 hours, and a division there in a week.

Unless we choose to engage the Chinese in a contiguous country, they are virtually powerless to interfere militarily.

That could change, but not overnight, and even then, I doubt it.

What would happen to the Chinese economy if we embargoed all Chinese products from the U.S. market?

Just some observations.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:19   #48
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
So basically, the only way the Chinese are a threat is if we CHOOSE to go to war with them?

This country could, if it wanted to, burn any point on the planet to bedrock in less than an hour.

The U.S. can put weapons laden aircraft over any point on the globe in less than 24 hours.

We can put a CVBG off the coast of almost any nation in the world in under 48 hours.

We can put a brigade on the ground of any country on the planet in less than 48 hours, and a division there in a week.

Unless we choose to engage the Chinese in a contiguous country, they are virtually powerless to interfere militarily.

That could change, but not overnight, and even then, I doubt it.

What would happen to the Chinese economy if we embargoed all Chinese products from the U.S. market?

Just some observations.

TR
Thanks, TR. Do others agree that China is not a potential threat to our national security? (TR, if I am mischaracterizing your view, I am sure you will not hesitate to correct me.)
Old 06-25-2004, 11:27   #49
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks, TR. Do others agree that China is not a potential threat to our national security? (TR, if I am mischaracterizing your view, I am sure you will not hesitate to correct me.)
Didn't say that China is not a potential threat to our national security.

I said that they lack the force projection capability to confront us on equal footing anywhere other than in a land war in an adjacent country, and do not represent a credible threat to US Air Supremacy anywhere else.

We could fight them at a significant disadvantage in Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, etc., IF WE CHOOSE to engage them then and there.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:36   #50
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Didn't say that China is not a potential threat to our national security.

I said that they lack the force projection capability to confront us on equal footing anywhere other than in a land war in an adjacent country, and do not represent a credible threat to US Air Supremacy anywhere else.

We could fight them at a significant disadvantage in Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, etc., IF WE CHOOSE to engage them then and there.

TR
Sorry about my imprecision. Boy, I'm betraying my own kind! LOL

With its growing manufacturing capacity, it seems to me (although I have not really looked into this recently in any detail) that the Chinese could build force projection capability pretty quickly. Like within 5 years if they wanted to.

Still curious about the views of others, especially those with Asia experience. Greenhat?
Old 06-25-2004, 17:30   #51
brownapple

The Chinese aren't interested in projecting force by military means outside of their own immediate and historic area. They simply don't see the need, culturally it's an alien concept to them.

It is possible that we might end up in a conflict with China... Spratleys, Taiwan... but it is unlikely.

1. China doesn't want to have a conflict. The Chinese are very much people who understand the value of commerce. They will not reduce that if at all possible.

2. China will do its projections via economic means, just as the US has for the last 60 years. And they will do that very well... and not in conflict with US economic projection, but in harmony (filling the spaces the US doesn't).
Old 06-25-2004, 17:36   #52
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

http://www.f22-raptor.com/govrel.html

Let's say you can save $20 billion by canceling the Raptor. How would you spend the money? (Or would you cut taxes? )
Old 06-25-2004, 17:40   #53
brownapple

Quote:
http://www.f22-raptor.com/govrel.html

Let's say you can save $20 billion by canceling the Raptor. How would you spend the money? (Or would you cut taxes? )
Beans and bullets for the troops, Concurrent Receipt for vets...
Old 06-25-2004, 17:56   #54
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenhat
Concurrent Receipt for vets...
You are bringing back memories with that one!
Old 06-25-2004, 20:35   #55
brownapple

Quote:
You are bringing back memories with that one!
Just putting veterans on the same footing as every other government employee.