Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 09-08-2015, 08:55   #16
Box
Quiet Professional

I wonder how PFC Snuffy applies for, and gets his overtime pay when he is required to work beyond a 40 hour week?

...these same social engineering shit bags want to keep giving the baby factories increasingly easy access to taxpayer funded medical care while service members are increasingly being asked to foot co-pays and other ankle biter fees.

...and has anyone tried to get care at Clarke Clinic lately?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03   #17
Sdiver
Area Commander

I forget, but did we (AD military members) get time and a half when working holidays, such as Labor Day, Thanksgiving, MLK day, etc. ? I do remember standing in a tower while stationed in West Germany, freezing my ass off, on Christmas Day.

I forget, but were we able to adjust our shifts/duties around school schedules, kids schedules (scholastic, sports, extra curricular, etc.) on a regular basis ?

I forget, did we get overtime (time and a half) after working 40 hours a week?

I don't remember being able to do/get any of the above.
I was on AD a long time ago, maybe times have changed.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46   #18
69harley
Guerrilla

I agree with everything being said here. In all fainess though, nobody is mentioning all the free time off. Yea, I know. Here are some examples; three and four day weekends that begin at 1500, comp days for 24 hour duty (CQ, SDNCO, etc), time off in the middle of the day for various appointments on base, time off in the middle of the day to renew liscence plates, etc. Leaving work at 1500 on most days in garrison (Not for the staff guys), going to the gym in the middle of the day, etc.

I get it. In my twenty year career I have deployed many times, written several wills, been cold, hot, hungry, dehydrated, exhausted, etc. Have been separated from my family for extended periods. I get it.

IMHO, while my pay and compensation was never enough to get rich on, I think I made out ok, or at least better than I expected when I came joined.

I think this government mandated $15 an hour is wrong and should be set by the market not the government, but I also think most soldiers have it pretty good.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 14:46   #19
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I suspect that your average franchise holder says, "I have 12 jobs at $8 an hour, and no jobs at $15 per hour. Now where is that robot burger flipper brochure?"

TR
Did you write Iacocca's proposal to the UAW for him back in the 80's?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 15:50   #20
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
In all fainess though, nobody is mentioning all the free time off.

During my time in uniform I have been "fucked over" way more times than I have enjoyed this thing known as "all the free time off"
...up to and including LOSING leave time because I didn't get a chance to use it during the year.

My "extra" free time has always been delivered to me printed on the back of a WonkaBar golden ticket, delivered by a bigfoot riding a unicorn.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 16:53   #21
PSM
Area Commander

“Unfortunately, the real minimum wage is always zero, regardless of the laws, and that is the wage that many workers receive in the wake of the creation or escalation of a government-mandated minimum wage, because they lose their jobs or fail to find jobs when they enter the labor force. Making it illegal to pay less than a given amount does not make a worker’s productivity worth that amount—and, if it is not, that worker is unlikely to be employed.”

― Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 16:57   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

So, we have run almost all of the manufacturing jobs out of this country, and now we are going to kill off most of the service industry jobs as well.

What will the real unemployment rate be after this plan is implemented?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 18:19   #23
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
All part of the plan to turn us I to a third world country second to all. Money equals power so if you get the whole country depandat on the govt you stay in power. Stalin would be proud.
Precisely. Increase the number of the unweaned. How will the teat cope? The power of the (printing) press; they will need to do a currency redesign for all the extra 0's necessary on the bills.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 23:19   #24
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

For some time oil field jobs which paid well more than $15/hr couldn't find workers.
Had to regularly pass piss tests for the jobs...
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote