Old 02-17-2004, 13:56   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

8th Group

1963-72, personnel were transferred to 3/7.

It couldn't have been a very big outfit. Wonder what the story was?

Just constant reorg because of Vietnam?

What was 7th Group doing?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:59   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

The 8th SFGA was what I would call a normal sized group. While I was there (70-71) it consisted of three C-Teams (Co. A,Band C), HHC and Signal Company plus some SIGINT, MI, PsyOps and CA augmentation. Keep in mind that the Companies were what are now considered Batallions.

We supported the OAS as "observers" in Honduras and El Salvador, conducted the Jungle Operations Training Center (JOTC) as well as many MTTs to various countries in Central and South America. Personnel from the 8th also had an active role in the capture of Che Guevarra. As with the 7th SFGA now, the 8th was very active in Latin America doing many things which may never become public.

As Vietnam began to wind down, SF started downsizing. The 7th SFGA assumed the operations of the 8th. During the war IMHO the 7th was mostly a holding company for SF returning from RVN and waiting redeployment.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the G2!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07   #4
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

8th Gp

The 8th SF Group colors transfered to the 2nd Ranger Bat. Ft Lewis WA.
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22   #5
GaretTrooper
Asset

I was in the 8th SFGA(SAF) from Apr 69-May 71. Is anyone else out there from that time frame?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:37   #6
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I was in co A - A-1 SCUBA and lived a Coco Solo in the abanndoned seplane hanfer we took over.

misery is optional.

Old 02-10-2008, 22:37   #7
GaretTrooper
Asset

I remember the hanger. The HALO team had one side and the SCUBA team had the other. Who was the A Company commander when you were there? LtC Korcheck was my commander while I was stationed with the 8th
Old 04-03-2008, 14:38   #8
SFpanama
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
1963-72, personnel were transferred to 3/7.

It couldn't have been a very big outfit. Wonder what the story was?

Just constant reorg because of Vietnam?

What was 7th Group doing?
I too was with the 8th SFG. For historical accuracy, I'd like to add to my friend Terry's response. The The 8th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Special Action Force, had only 2 line companies. Those were Special Forces Company's A & B. Also included within the 8th SFG were Headquarters Company, Company E (Signal), 9th Psychological Operations Battalion, 401st Security Agency Detachment, 146th Engineer Detachment, 610th Military Intelligence Detachment, 255th Medical Detachment, and 550th Military Police Detachment. Of course, there was Group Headquarters as well. The 8th was the US Army's only full Special Action Force.

One of the reasons for the deactivation of the 8th SFG in 1972 was the draw down during the waning years of the Vietnam build up. The other reason was, SF was going to Battalion. rather than Company strength. It made sense that the 8th became the 3rd Battalion of the 7th SFG, because it was an element of the 7th that began the set up of the 8th SFG in August of 1962. Commanded by Major Melvin J. Sowards, Company D, 7th SFG was the main body of SF to move to the Canal Zone. They would later be followed by the augmentation detachments. With the arrival of these detachments, the basic organization of the Special Action Force was completed and having been promoted, Lieutenant Colonel Sawyer assumed command.

Lt. Col. Sawyer remained in command through the rest of 1962. It was the legendary Lieutenant Colonel Arthur D. (Bull) Simons that took command in January of 1963 and Lt. Col. Sawyer became the XO. On April 12, 1963, under the command of Lt. Col. Simons, the SAF elements of the 7th SFG were officially redesignated, as authorized by the Department of the Army and the 8th SFG was activated.

Throughout it's 9 year history, the 8th SFG sent Mobile Training Teams and Technical Assistant Teams throughout Central and South America. The 8th SFG also ran a number of schools. These included a basic Airborne and Jumpmaster course, Recondo School, NCO School, SCUBA and PARA-SCUBA Schools. They also conducted Jungle Expert Traning at the Jungle operations Training Center and had a serious hand at The School of the Americas.
Old 04-03-2008, 15:35   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaretTrooper View Post
I remember the hanger. The HALO team had one side and the SCUBA team had the other. Who was the A Company commander when you were there? LtC Korcheck was my commander while I was stationed with the 8th
LTC Korcek was my Co Cdr. Do you remember Sarge - my swim buddy" I believe he belonged to Avm. Det at one time.
http://tadahling.com/sitebuildercont.../re-enlist.jpg

http://tadahling.com/sitebuildercont...ures/sarge.jpg

misery is optional.

Old 04-03-2008, 16:03   #10
SFpanama
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30 View Post
LTC Korcek was my Co Cdr. Do you remember Sarge - my swim buddy" I believe he belonged to Avm. Det at one time.
http://tadahling.com/sitebuildercont.../re-enlist.jpg

http://tadahling.com/sitebuildercont...ures/sarge.jpg
Yeah Terry I remember the dog. I remember LTC Korcec as well. When I was with Co. B, LTC James Farrington was my Co Cdr. When Col. Dexter Left the 8th, LTC Korcek took temporary command of the Group before Col. Pinkerton came in. When I was reassigned to Co. A, LTC Thomas Owen was the Co Cdr. Good to see you here buddy. Though I didn't know you well, I knew you. I was good pals with the likes of Glenn Oehms, Tony Gilgen, Ken Kimer, etc. I know you know these names.

Last edited by SFpanama; 04-03-2008 at 16:58.
SFpanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:32   #11
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

8th SFGA

Salute

I arrived at 8th in August 69 same day as the "ROCK", Ltc K. assigned to A Co. B-2..Then out to Recondo committee at Camp Rock. Stayed till 1973, after conversion of the 8th to 3/7th.

Remember the mosquito bitten horse at the lake? lol....

Axe
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 23:45   #12
kevinlcpc
Asset

8th SFG

I was with the 8th SFG from May 1971 thru Decemeber 1972, 550th MP Det. Any others there then? LTC Lucas was the CO.
kevinlcpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlcpc View Post
I was with the 8th SFG from May 1971 thru Decemeber 1972, 550th MP Det. Any others there then? LTC Lucas was the CO.
Kevin:

You might want to reread the rules and stickies.

This is not where your first post should be.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14   #14
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

USASOC has revamped and reinstituted the periodical VERITAS. It is now a quarterly publication dedicated to "The History of U.S. Army Special Operations".

This issue is a Special Edition, dedicated to SF in Bolivia. Quite a few pages are directly linked to the 8th SFG(A).

Some copies may still be available through:

USASOC
ATTN: AOHS VERITAS
E-2929
DESERT STORM DR
FORT BRAGG, NC 28310

Or you might be able to obtain a copy from a local SFA Chapter.

You can also pm me for email adresses to VERITAS.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 15:04   #15
kevinlcpc
Asset

Sorry if I missed something. But reading the prior posts, I thought this was a thread that was discussing the 8th SFG. I guess I was wrong.
kevinlcpc is offline   Reply With Quote