Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 03-29-2018, 10:37   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

2018 Baseball Season

It's opening day, so .... PLAY BALL !!!!!

LET'S GO CUBBIES !!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs dr. who 1.jpg (15.0 KB, 5 views)
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 13:51   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
It's opening day, so .... PLAY BALL !!!!!

LET'S GO CUBBIES !!!!!!
They heard you.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 14:49   #3
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
They heard you.
Ah, yup ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs W 1.jpg (11.6 KB, 4 views)
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 15:20   #4
bblhead672
Area Commander

Cardinals underwhelm the Mets.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 16:35   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Cardinals underwhelm the Mets.
Sorry to hear that. Anyone who can pile up the Mets this year will get a nod from me. Because, well, Mets.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 03-29-2018, 17:19   #6
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Opening Day

1 down 161 to go.....

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:44   #7
bblhead672
Area Commander

Try as I have over the last few years, I cannot make sense of MLB having opening day and the very next day teams have a day off. What? You just played 1 game, why do you require time off?
This ridiculous scheduling results in the Mets/Cards playing Thursday, NO Friday night home game for Mets fans, then resuming on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:02   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Try as I have over the last few years, I cannot make sense of MLB having opening day and the very next day teams have a day off. What? You just played 1 game, why do you require time off?
This ridiculous scheduling results in the Mets/Cards playing Thursday, NO Friday night home game for Mets fans, then resuming on Saturday and Sunday.
Yeah, Maddon was saying somethin' yesterday (after a couple fielding errors) about how they'd hoped to get a "fundamentals" day (!) in before starting the regular season. Uh, did I miss something or was it called Spring TRAINING for a reason? Jeebers, make it whatever you need to make it.

When you figure it out mebbe you kin 'splain it to me Lucy.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:43   #9
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Yeah, Maddon was saying somethin' yesterday (after a couple fielding errors) about how they'd hoped to get a "fundamentals" day (!) in before starting the regular season. Uh, did I miss something or was it called Spring TRAINING for a reason? Jeebers, make it whatever you need to make it.

When you figure it out mebbe you kin 'splain it to me Lucy.
What?!? Are you suggesting that they should be *gasp* training during "spring training"?
Old 04-26-2018, 14:47   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

NL Central still looks like the typical hairball among the top-3. The Brewers fans up this way are beside themselves; standing vis a vis the Cubs looks like reverse of previous years. But to their credit they're playing good ball. At least I get to watch Cubs play occasionally when they play MKE 'cause those games haven't been sold off to MLBN & hit the tube locally.

No idea what's up with Cincinnati.

The rule about 6 mound visits/game seems to have sped things up a bit. Now if the hitters could quit taking a stroll & readjusting their entire wardrobe after every pitch...

And the snow seems to be gone for real this time.

Old 04-26-2018, 15:25   #11
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

AL East is "same as it ever was". Boston and NYY atop, nobody cares in the middle and Baltimore, wandering in the dark cellar, found a shovel and started digging.

James Madison
Old 04-26-2018, 18:03   #12
2018commo
Quiet Professional

I think Baltimore needs to trade Manny for a couple of bats, or perhaps a coach. Buck is about to run out of string.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 20:06   #13
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
I think Baltimore needs to trade Manny for a couple of bats, or perhaps a coach. Buck is about to run out of string.
Talk is that Buck will move to the front office after this season. His, along with Manny's contracts are up after this year.

Worst situation for them is to be "close" to MAYBE a second wildcard spot and they keep Manny and he just walks at the end of the year and they get nothing out of it.

Baltimore keeps pulling in pitching off of the scrap heap and single-dimensional offensive players (big bats, high strikeout rate). They could rework things around the 20-somethings (Mancini, Schoop and Bundy) but after that 14 year drought nobody has the stomach to go through a real rebuild. The Farm isn't growing much for them but I don't think they're going to have a choice.

James Madison
Old 05-04-2018, 02:37   #14
Airbornelawyer

I suppose the biggest surprises so far this season are the underperformance of the Dodgers and the Nationals, and the overperformance of the Braves. The Diamondbacks also seem to be way ahead of expectations.

I doubt much will change in Baltimore until Peter Angelos is out of the picture.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:03   #15
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
I suppose the biggest surprises so far this season are the underperformance of the Dodgers and the Nationals, and the overperformance of the Braves. The Diamondbacks also seem to be way ahead of expectations.

I doubt much will change in Baltimore until Peter Angelos is out of the picture.
To tie a couple of thoughts together on this... Sports talk radio around here is saying the O's need to "make a deal" with the Dodgers for Manny as they struggle.

Yeah.. Angelos likes his Beer-league softball offense.

James Madison