Old 04-19-2008, 08:58   #1
Dan
Administrators

SF Soldiers set to WOW others in tournament

SF Soldiers set to WOW others in tournament

By Carol Darby
USASOC Public Affairs

Quote:
JORDAN LAKE, N.C. (Sine Pari, April 19, 2008) – For 34 Special Operations Forces personnel their April 18th fishing trip was not just a day out of the office.

These SOF personnel represented a small fraction of the 180 Soldiers, Marines, airmen, and reserve component Soldiers who participated in the third
wow annual Warriors on the Water, or WOW, fishing tournament here. Professional anglers, local citizen boaters and Soldier-fishermen from Fort Bragg brought more than 175 boats here and were paired with a military fisherman or women for a day of fishing and fun.

Just after sunrise the active, guard and reserve military personnel stood in a sea of boats with pro anglers and other fishermen while the Army Special Operation Command’s Chief Warrant Officer 5 Charles King sang the National Anthem.

Growing from an idea to do something special for military personnel returning from the War on Terror, avid bass tournament fishermen and retired Operation Desert Storm veterans Hal Abshire, Greg Lahr and Bob Cunningham brought the idea to reality, according to a WOW media fact sheet. They organized a volunteer committee of business men and women, active duty and retired veterans, and others who plan the many facets of the tournament from year to year.

According to Bunny Powers, Fayetteville, N.C., business woman and WOW Committee member, the first WOW fishing tournament held in May 2006, “was planned in just six weeks and we had 51 boats on the water. It became apparent very quickly that we were going to grow by leaps and bounds.”

In the second year of WOW 152 military personnel were paired with anglers representing FLW Outdoors, Bass Anglers Sportsmen Society and Ranger Boats.

For more information, about the annual WOW fishing tournament to include volunteer support and sponsorship, visit the website at www.warriorsonthewater.com .

--sine pari--
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59   #2
Dan
Administrators

Boaters line up for the "Blast Off" to begin fishing in the third annual Warriors on the Water fishing tournament, April 18, 2008 at Jordan Lake. (U.S. Army Photo By Geary McSpadden)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wow 1.jpg (255.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59   #3
Dan
Administrators

Two of the powers that make the Warriors On The Water fishing tournament a possiblity and success, Hal Abshire (left) and Bob Cunningham emcee the weigh-in and presentations at the third annual event at Jordan Lake, NC April 18. (U.S. Army Photo by Geary McSpadden)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wow2_TN.jpg (39.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 09:02   #4
Dan
Administrators

Tourney lets pro give back to community

Tourney lets pro give back to community

By Geary McSpadden
USASOC Public Affairs

Quote:
JORDAN LAKE, N.C. (Sine Pari, April 19, 2008) –– Why would a professional angler who earns his living winning money at pro fishing tournaments, spend three hours prepping his fishing gear, hook-up his top-of-the-line bass boat at 4:30 a.m., and drive 50 miles to a fishing tournament where he cannot win any money, team up with an amateur fisherman and lend his equipment and expertise?

The reason Fayetteville’s own pro angler Marty Stone volunteers to give of himself this way is because of a love affair.

“I’m in love with this community,” said Stone in regards to the Fayetteville-Fort Bragg-Pope Air Force Base community.

Stone was one of more than 20 pro anglers who volunteered to take a military member fishing in the third Warriors on the Water fishing tournament at Jordan Lake April 18.

Stone’s fishing partner this year was Staff Sgt. Shawn Adams, a U. S. Army Special Operations Command Soldier and wounded warrior. It’s also Adam’s second year fishing the WOW tournament.

“It’s a great way to spend the day,” Adams said. “It’s great that these guys are donating their time. I get to learn things and hang out with the pros.”

Adams was wounded in Afghanistan during an ambush in 2005. Although he’s currently working after a two year-recovery and still has surgery scheduled, he works under physical restrictions and walks with the aid of a cane.

Adams is one of 180 military members who participated in this year’s WOW tournament and one of more than 800 USASOC Soldiers who have been wounded since the beginning of the War on Terror.

“I respect the military members a lot for what they do,” Stone said. “If my coming here to fish with them makes them happy, then I’m glad to do it.” This is the second year Stone volunteered to sponsor a Soldier. “I’ll do this every year I can when I’m here during the WOW tournament,” he said.

--sine pari--
Old 04-19-2008, 09:03   #5
Dan
Administrators

Pro Angler Marty Stone of Fayetteville, NC (left) teams ups with Staff Sgt. Shawn Adams, a USASOC wounded warrior in the third Warriors On The Water fishing tournament at Jordan Lake, NC April 18. (U.S. Army Photo by Geary McSpadden)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angler 1.jpg (367.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 09:04   #6
Dan
Administrators

A Durham, NC news crew interviews the team of Pro Angler Marty Stone and USASOC Soldier Staff Sgt. Shawn Adams before they begin fishing in the Warriors On The Water tournament at Jordan Lake, NC April 18. (U.S. Army Photo by Geary McSpadden)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angler 2.jpg (402.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02   #7
Retired W4
Guerrilla

Absolutely incredible! My old club, the Wiregrass Bass Masters, Ft. Fucker, AL used to put on an annual youth tournament for the kids in the area. We felt our event was very important, but this deal on Lake Jordan is really first class. My hat's off to the organizers, sponsors, and boaters that made it possible.

Retired W4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 15:26   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Are DuPont lures Legal? I'm at my best with a 6 grenade spread at 5 knots....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:40   #9
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

This would be a great thread to move to the new Hunting & Fishing forum!
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 16:03   #10
EX-Gold Falcon
Can I have a hug, please?

Hope the organizers run an EOD dog past everyones boat before they head out. That or have an anything goes "Unlimited Open" Class.

Travis
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

That's sure a nice hat on Staff Sgt. Shawn Adams (Got to get me one of those!)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:04   #12
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That's sure a nice hat on Staff Sgt. Shawn Adams (Got to get me one of those!)
Cause you need more than one, obviously!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19   #13
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Is that so the fish can't see you when you lean over the boat rail saying: "here, fishy, fishy, fishy........"

Am I going to get in trouble for that statement TS????

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote