Old 09-06-2010, 17:54   #1
Nightfall
Guerrilla

Fly Fishermen?

Any fly fishermen on here? If so any fly tyers? I was wondering if any of you tyers wanted to do a swap? I've seen stuff like that on fly tying boards, but never really got involved, as there's only two forums I really frequent.

Looks like the typical swap tends to be something like 10 flies per person, sent to one individual then divied up amonst those that participate so we would each get 10 different flies each from other tyers.

Looked like an interesting way to get some different flies from other tyers and I really don't know any fly guys in my area, but I do so love to tie. Nothing like catching fish on a lure you made yourself, especially when it's out of random things from around the house. I mostly warm water fish, so I've gotten pretty adept at tying poppers and some fairly realistic grubs. Do a heck of a foam frog too. At some point I plan to start doing crank baits from scratch, but I can honestly say, with all the freakin' PT I've been doing plus SCUBA, plus my random assortment of class, I don't have time (nor much energy) for yet another hobby, even an addition to one I already have! Flies, even the poppers, really don't take a lot of time, so I'll stick with them for the moment.

Regardless, hopefully you guys may be interested.
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 21:22   #2
wet dog

I tie and fly....

I've got mostly cold water, trout flies. Emergers, wet/dry, exciters, etc. I tend to not use floresent strike indicators, but terrestrials like mice, spiders, ants, and hoppers. I figure having a second hook in the water only increases my odds.

I have 12 patterns in 6 different sizes for about 96% of the fish I take. The remaining 1000 dozen flies are for the remaining 4%. Doesn't seem right, but that's how I roll.

My stuff has stuff. I also fish with Jameson, (it's my plan "B"), if things go wrong.

PM me an address, I'll send a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drinking Fisherman.jpg (49.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-06-2010, 21:57   #3
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Wet Dog - don't you ALSO fish with ???

molon labe

Last edited by Tatonka316; 09-07-2010 at 03:00.
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15   #4
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka316 View Post
Wet Dog - don't you ALSO fish with ???

molon labe
....Mr. Johnny Walker, and a distant cousin, John Powers.

You funny GI.
Old 09-07-2010, 16:04   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I fly fish but I don't tie.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14   #6
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I also fly fish but have yet to learn how to tie flies. I'm still struggling with tattooing fleas for the time being.

Attached: Long Draw Res on the northern border of Rocky Mountain National Park. Elevation: 10K ft ASL. Me with a couple of Cutthroat trout. Mid August last year.

Yes, I cheated that day after catching only one cutthroat on fly rod so I switched to a spinning rod/reel. The winds were too high for a fly rod/reel so I used an adjustable bobber with a #6 lead extending from the bobber and a fly at the end. Technically, it was still fly fishing. All that matters was that I caught trout and no one else did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01358.jpg (78.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P2.jpg (66.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 09-08-2010 at 01:27.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote