Old 02-09-2012, 12:12   #1
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Where are you living?

As I understand it, many guys are living in Crestview due to proximity and housing costs. However, when I was stationed at Eglin many years back, I was not impressed with "Crestucky." The wife & I are leaning towards either Niceville or Shalimar. So what neighborhoods do guys suggest and/or say to avoid? We hope to be there by early April. Thanks.

x/S
Old 02-11-2012, 13:57   #2
abnmtr
SF Candidate

I'm living in Crestview off of PJ Adams. Rent is about $500 less a month than comparable houses in Niceville. I wouldn't bother looking at anything north of I10 because the dozen traffic lights in Crestview make for a slow drive and your just farther away from everything but Alabama. For Niceville I would look in Bluewater Bay area. Other guys are living in FWB, Destin, Navarre.
abnmtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 14:42   #3
jbour13
Area Commander

I've got a few friends and family that live in Bluewater Bay.

Nice area, gated and very quiet.

You get what you pay for though.

As far as drive times to the Group area, I'm not sure. Best of luck.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25   #4
wyld3man
Asset

Blue Water Bay is about a 20-25 min. drive to work. Niceville is not bad but there is not a lot to do there during off time. You would have to drive to Destin and pay the toll (3$ each way or 2$ with Sun Pass). The Shalimar or FWB area is not bad either and there are plenty of things to do over that way. Living in that area would enable you to get to Destin and avoid the toll (Mid Bay Bridge) fairly easy. I am not sure of the drive time to work from Shalimar though. I am living out in Freeport. The drive to work from there is 45 min. but it is worth it to me. I live out in the country, its on the bay and about a 15 min. drive to the beaches on 30A. They are building an extension to the highway leading off the Mid Bay Bridge that will by-pass Niceville and connect to 85 which will cut a good 10 min off my drive time. It should be almost completed by the time we get home. I hope this helps
wyld3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39   #5
cliphord
Asset

hammock bay

There is a community in freeport called hammock bay. Very nice. I have lived here since sep. and love it. Especially if you fish, you are 15 minutes away from santa rosa and the 30A area beaches which not a lot of 7th groupers are familiar with. They filmed the truman show there. Only bad thing is its about a 30-45 min. drive to work, much like pinehurst to bragg. I lived in pinehurst when I was going thru the course and freeport is kind of the same thing, totally worth the drive especially during the long weekends cus your away from everyone. Good luck.
cliphord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post
There is a community in freeport called hammock bay. Very nice. I have lived here since sep. and love it. Especially if you fish, you are 15 minutes away from santa rosa and the 30A area beaches which not a lot of 7th groupers are familiar with. They filmed the truman show there. Only bad thing is its about a 30-45 min. drive to work, much like pinehurst to bragg. I lived in pinehurst when I was going thru the course and freeport is kind of the same thing, totally worth the drive especially during the long weekends cus your away from everyone. Good luck.
Please fill in your profile and post an intro IAW our rules that you received when you signed up. No need to post until this is done.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 16:19   #7
RockSolid
SF Candidate

Just looking to bump this thread as ill be moving that way here in the next 45 days....Thanks ahead of time for any input. Im specfically looking for driving times with traffic and any general ground truth as far as the areas are concerned.

Thanks again
CR
Old 03-23-2014, 17:20   #8
kawika
Auxiliary

Do not live in Crestview. I was only there for a year so I rented the closest thing in Crestview (5 min drive to access road) and I hated every minute of it. Anything worthwhe is in Destin, Niceville or FWB. I would do Bluewater Bay if I moved back.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:31   #9
exsquid
Quiet Professional

I live in FWB. My commute is :30, door to door. My wife's commute to anywhere she needs or wants to go to is >:15.

x/S