Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-19-2004, 00:02   #1
militarymoron
Guerrilla

SWMS glove review

hi all,
i just posted an inital review of SWMS (southwest motorsports) gloves on my site:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...nt.3.html#swms
username and password are both 'mm' to view fullsize pics.
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Never heard of them myself, they look good. Given the option I wear gloves when shooting, especially in the heat, prevents slippage just as a golf glove does when playing golf.
As far as “maximum finger dexterity” is concerned we’re not going to realize that with gloves that are “made to last.” The life of a good golf glove can be measured in hours. They provide “maximum finger dexterity” at the cost of quick wear out. IMO until we move past “animal skins” as a glove component we’re not going to achieve maximum finger dexterity without sacrificing long term use.

Team Sergeant
Old 02-19-2004, 09:04   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question Where do I get these?

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...lomonboots.jpg

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:18   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

MM:

Excellent review, I'd like to see more of that here.

I am currently using the Hatch glove, need to go to the short cuffed version soon. Very comfortable and utilitarian, with several good features.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 13:21   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Re: Where do I get these?

I dont know where you are, but most outdoor shops that carry extensive hiking, climbing, canoeing, and kayaking gear sell the Salomon brand.

I have a pair of Salomon Expert Mid's and can tell you they are the best hiking boot I have ever purchased.

HTH

EDITED because I cant spell for crap.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-19-2004 at 15:10.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 14:44   #6
militarymoron
Guerrilla

TR - thanks - i'll definitely give everyone the heads up on anything new i come across.
like any product, YMMV.
TS - i agree- most of the time, dexterity/finger sensitivity is inversely proportional to durability. but better quality leather can outlast cheaper, thicker leather, so that's a factor to take into account. i ride motorcycles (road bikes), and have a pair of kangaroo leather gloves. they are by far the most supple motorcycle gloves i've owned, and have held up though a couple of crashes. i've trashed a pair of cheaper but thicker gloves. the SWMS gloves feel like they are a pretty good balance of durability/dexterity. just need to put them through some wear and tear to see how they hold up.
guy - my wife bought me those solomon expert mids. found them on sale at a shoe store at the local mall for 30% off retail. the insoles didn't provide much arch support so i replaced them with the green superfeet. i use them for daily wear, and hill/stair training with a ruck. they took me through 4 days of the SHOT show and my feet were fine. knee were a bit achy, but then i'm getting old. also take a look at the merrell sawtooth boots as an alternative. they're built a bit more solidly than the salomons.

cheers,
MM
Old 02-21-2004, 10:46   #7
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Hi-Tech Impact II CT Gloves

Been using these gloves hard for the past two months, and they are still going strong. The are great for shooting leaving ample dexterity, to transition, tac-load, or whatever else is needed, and they are padded on the knuckles for thumping people good. I'd recomend them for anyone.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:47   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Never heard of them myself, they look good. Given the option I wear gloves when shooting, especially in the heat, prevents slippage just as a golf glove does when playing golf.
As far as ?maximum finger dexterity? is concerned we?re not going to realize that with gloves that are ?made to last.? The life of a good golf glove can be measured in hours. They provide ?maximum finger dexterity? at the cost of quick wear out. IMO until we move past ?animal skins? as a glove component we?re not going to achieve maximum finger dexterity without sacrificing long term use.

Team Sergeant
Top:

The good news for you is that they are in Phoenix.

You could conceivably drive over, try on some and talk with them, maybe give us a review, if you do.

Just a thought.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-24-2004, 09:29   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Top:

The good news for you is that they are in Phoenix.

You could conceivably drive over, try on some and talk with them, maybe give us a review, if you do.

Just a thought.

TR
Roger,

Will effect linkup soonest.

TS
Old 02-24-2004, 09:45   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I smell a potential group buy coming if he goes there!

TR

Old 02-24-2004, 13:37   #11
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

TS,

If you want or need some help let me know and I will shoot down for a weekend or try and get a day off.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 14:21   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
TS,

If you want or need some help let me know and I will shoot down for a weekend or try and get a day off.
Thanks Joe. I think I can handle them. It's a small outfit, run by women. I'll have CAS on standby should I run into any trouble.

TS
Old 02-24-2004, 15:38   #13
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Well I can always hold a video camera for propper documentation.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 23:46   #14
militarymoron
Guerrilla

TS,
if you see the owner, martina, tell her militarymoron said 'hi'.
cheers and thanks,
MM
Old 02-24-2004, 23:52   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Thanks Joe. I think I can handle them. It's a small outfit, run by women. I'll have CAS on standby should I run into any trouble.

TS
Somebody's gonna pay for that one...LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote