Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 11-07-2015, 18:13   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Concealed Carry Discussion

I am interested in people's thoughts on best practices.

Let's kick this off with a discussion about how to carry concealed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 18:47   #2
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post

Let's kick this off with a discussion about how to carry concealed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.
What are you going to carry? I carry my wife's .38 Spl in a Remora holster. My .45 would leave me rather embarrassed.

ETA: This is with elastic/drawstring shorts. With shorts that would allow a belt, I'd stay with my .45 and Crossbreed holster.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 11-07-2015 at 18:57.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 19:35   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
What are you going to carry? I carry my wife's .38 Spl in a Remora holster. My .45 would leave me rather embarrassed.

ETA: This is with elastic/drawstring shorts. With shorts that would allow a belt, I'd stay with my .45 and Crossbreed holster.

Pat
This isn't about me, particularly since I live in a place where carry is prohibited. However, if hypothetically I were to carry, it would be an H&K .40 USP in a Kramer IWB leather holster.
Old 11-07-2015, 19:37   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Another carry situation of interest to me, hypothetically only, of course, is the normal "business casual" trousers, with a tucked-in long sleeve dress shirt and belt.
Old 11-07-2015, 20:22   #5
Redwood
Asset

My Concealed Carry Method

Quote:

For the past six months or so, I've started carrying appendix style in a kydex holster made by Bladetech. Now that I have learned how to carry in this position, I don't think I will ever go back to carrying any other way.

In the past, I carried slightly behind my right hip, at the 4-5 o'clock position.

From the appendix position, my draw is faster and cleaner, I have better access to the gun in the majority of situations, and I find that it conceals better in almost all clothing, including when wearing a simple normal fitting t-shirt and shorts.

I spend much of my time in the hot and humid South, so even during winter, I am wearing shorts and t-shirts rather often.

I have a relatively athletic build. I am 5'10 and approximately 180 lbs. When I am wearing lighter clothes, I typically carry a S&W M&P Shield (9mm) and when I am able to put on layers, I usually cary my Glock 19.

Unless a t-shirt is tightly fitted, I find that I barely print. Even with the Glock, in the appendix position, one would have to be at the right angle and know what to look for in order to spot any outline.

Just my two cents.
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:33   #6
Redwood
Asset

Quote:
Another carry situation of interest to me, hypothetically only, of course, is the normal "business casual" trousers, with a tucked-in long sleeve dress shirt and belt.
If you are going to be carrying with a tucked in shirt or without a belt/solid pant's waist, you may want to checkout a bellyband style holster. I have this one from Crossbreed: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...d/Default.aspx

It isn't very effective if I am just carrying with a pair of gym shorts because the elastic is not strong enough to keep the gun pressed to my body securely, but your mileage may vary.

For those situations, I think a belly band style holster without a separate kydex holster would work better (however, I have no personal experience with any other types of belly band holsters).

The Crossbreed does work quite well for dressier situations when I need to tuck in my shirt.
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:40   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Well of course, that goes without saying.

My .45 is an HK USP Compact and I have the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Since I got it, I've never had to tuck in my shirt, so I'm not sure how or how well it works. Love the holster, though. I honestly forget that I have it on even without a belt on jeans. And I wear t-shirts all the time. You just have to move it around and find the "sweet spot".

A member on here, Golf1Echo, visited recently and I'm not sure if he noticed that I was carrying or not. I couldn't tell if he was.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 11-07-2015 at 20:47. Reason: visitor
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 22:30   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Pocket carry.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 00:05   #9
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

While not being the best, I carry a Colt Cobra snubbie in my pocket . If I am going to be somewhere where more firepower may be needed, my Star PD .45 goes into one pocket and a couple of spare mags in the other. While driving, either one is between my legs pointing rearwards.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:18   #10
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

IN Shorts, I like cargo shorts, middle of the back of right hip with a T-shirt. To be fair, you really should change up what you carry for what you are dressed in.

In Shorts I would like a hammerless 38 special snub nose revolvers, effective and very concealable IMO. .38 with new loads and bullet types you get an effective bullet for self defense.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Pocket carry.

TR
1)NAA 22mag, 8oz, 5rd, SS so it is somewhat impervious to salt water & sweat, not the most potent, but very concealable in sport shorts or bathers..

2)If you have a little more room, S&W Ti series. Mine is the 342 Ti, 38+P, 13 oz, 5rd.

3)Cargo shorts, SIG P938, 9MM, 18oz, 8rd, Pocket carry OR get a Techna-clip

This is assuming you are not doing "bags", like belly or butt or sling..

The S&W 342 fits in the sunglasses case.. The SIG is only slightly larger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3177.jpg (57.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P1030590.jpg (66.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P938.jpg (87.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 3106188_01_sig_p938_nightmare_pristine_co_640.jpg (33.9 KB, 76 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:53   #12
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I presently have a 9mm and a .380. However, after the last couple of weeks, and dealing with some rather unsavory characters, I am thinking seriously about getting a license to carry a very short shotgun, probably in a briefcase. Not something that I would want to mess with every day though

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 14:23   #13
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Standard Florida carry, if you ask me.

I carry full sized FNS-9, IWB, on my side.. In shorts, with a t-shirt, and Keens (I hate flops). I wear my T-shirts XL... Loose

Florida also has no law against printing, so if it sticks out a bit... It's just my "cell phone". YMMV
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 16:46   #14
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

I am using a Glock Model 43 9mm in a DeSantis Nemesis holster to pocket carry in the warmer weather when a coat would be obvious. I know some people hate Glocks, but I have never had a problem with mine.
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 22:48   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
For the past six months or so, I've started carrying appendix style in a kydex holster made by Bladetech. Now that I have learned how to carry in this position, I don't think I will ever go back to carrying any other way.
Have you pressure tested this technique by trying to draw when you're fighting off a close-in attacker and are bent at the waist, or do you only practice drawing when you're standing upright?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote