Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 7th Special Forces Group

Old 06-06-2011, 09:25   #1
heron20
Asset

Welcome to NW Florida - New 7th Gp Compound overview

Went on a tour of the new headquarters building and grounds of the new cantonment area. Must say it's sharp.

Quote:
As you relocate to the Okaloosa County area, please exercise caution. As always, many are out there trying to get access to and take advantage of soldiers and their families. A good place to go for local information is www.welcometonorthwestflorida.com. This website is maintained by the local workforce development board (think Florida Department of Labor) and provides information on schools, employment, housing, etc. without a sales pitch. Just good usable information. I'm your local veteran employment representative for the area. Here to help if you need a hand. Don't hesitate to reach out.

Welcome to the Emerald Coast.
Edited title to reflect post content.

Last edited by Snaquebite; 07-08-2011 at 13:19.
heron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:32   #2
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Direct link to pdf presentation and compound overview...

Those team rooms are awesome...
http://www.welcometonorthwestflorida...rshipbrief.pdf

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 13:07   #3
heron20
Asset

Lots of room

Can't believe how much space they have. Awesome. I'd like to get a peek at the new physical training facility. Heard it's great.
heron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:06   #4
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Ill go on the record, am jealous of the team rooms
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:14   #5
Hacksaw
Quiet Professional

Holy shit! That place is bad ass. I didn't see anything about ranges on the compound, anyone know if there will be a small arms range and a helo or MFF DZ?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16   #6
Hacksaw
Quiet Professional

My mistake, I see the indoor range.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

Ah...the acronyms...where would the military be without the acronyms.

It isn't merely a gym, it's a Combat Fitness Training Facility.

It isn't merely a pool, it's a MarOps Training Facility.

One downside I see to the new location is its proximity to AFSOC and USSOCOM HQs - will the 7th now have to field an on-going Gabriel Det for all the VIPs wanting to see/show off the SOF "state of the art" facilities?

That's one hell of a layout - I look forward to visiting one day.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:09   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Wow......... They've come a long way from those WW2 barracks we had in the mid- 50's at Ft. Bragg.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40   #9
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
If they call it a gym or pool then it will be open to everyone with an ID card to use as an MWR facility. Hence the naming conventions to keep Mary Jane and Billy Bob out of the Group compounds.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:23   #10
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

One downside I see to the new location is its proximity to AFSOC and USSOCOM HQs - will the 7th now have to field an on-going Gabriel Det for all the VIPs wanting to see/show off the SOF "state of the art" facilities?

That's one hell of a layout - I look forward to visiting one day.

Richard
Speaking from 14 years at Bragg pre-9/11, being in FL will never come close to the BS that 3rd and 7th had to endure during red cycles.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27   #11
ChuckG
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Speaking from 14 years at Bragg pre-9/11, being in FL will never come close to the BS that 3rd and 7th had to endure during red cycles.
Still remember in 86 myself and my Company SGM driving a shuttle bus around post because we didn't want to go to the commissary and do inventory. Post support really sucked.
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
We viewed that as a huge incentive to either be in school or deployed as much as possible during those times.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 19:58   #13
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Its about time the teams finally have some room for their gear and themselves. This is a great setup.

When I started in SF in 77' we were in the old WW!! barracks. I went to FT Lewis when 1st Gp reactivated, again old barracks. Back to Bragg to SWC, yep old barracks.

After the SWC tour I went back to 7th and they were in new buildings. Still no room in the team rooms but better than the old barracks.

Now they have tons of room....good for them.

Old 07-17-2011, 20:38   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional

Damn that's nice
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 22:03   #15
Tress
Quiet Professional

Sweeeet!!!

Nice digs......... Two floors per team room and the equipment is downstairs.

Future Team-guys will never be able to enjoy the excitement and thrill of moving those damned heavy team boxes up and down the narrow stairs of the WWII buildings

The new digs may have a pool but the old WWII buildings on Smokebomb Hill had lots of character.

Where else could you punch a hole in the wall and have no one notice it for weeks.

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote