Old 03-21-2020, 11:40   #856
frostfire
Area Commander

Thank you TR for starting this thread
I must say I never took it 100% seriously until very recently
Pretty interesting since my colleagues except for one vet are allergic to firearm/ammo/violence etc

Folks are leaving and I’m staying behind to turn off the light after everyone flies out.
Always fancy Alamo/Benghazi ending.... just never foresaw the “jihadist” would be invisible and bullets can’t kill em

utmost respect for those Wuhan,
Italy and healthcare staff everywhere else that dons space suits to work

Cool n all for photo op....
Not for hours of work! And knowing a breach in isolation protocol can get your colleagues killed!
N I thought mopp suit was bad

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 03-21-2020 at 11:45.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 19:25   #857
Graffiti
Quiet Professional

Apps

Some useful navigation apps if the mobile networks are congested in your area... what3words and navimii (integrates with what3words), both work offline.

https://what3words.com/clip.apples.leap

https://www.navmii.com/
Old 03-30-2020, 17:33   #858
PSM
Area Commander

My wife joins COSTCO for a year every few years and goes crazy stocking up on staples and personal hygiene stuff so we are well stocked with shower gel and TP. What surprised her on her recent trip to the grocery store and Walmart was that liquid detergent and dishwasher detergent was sold out. That's one thing we didn't stock up on. We will from now on.

One other thing is distilled water was sold out along with bottled drinking water. That is a big problem for us since our electricity comes from 24 flooded lead acid batteries and they get thirsty in the summer. Another lessoned learned! We do have plenty of gasoline in jerry cans for the 5.5k Generac portable gennie and the auto back-up gennie is propane.

ETA: We also have a 3.5k Champion gennie (which can run the house) and an EU2000i Honda generator (which can't).

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 03-30-2020 at 22:46. Reason: Corrected 3.5k to 5.5k generator.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 18:53   #859
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
My wife joins COSTCO for a year every few years and goes crazy stocking up on staples and personal hygiene stuff so we are well stocked with shower gel and TP. What surprised her on her recent trip to the grocery store and Walmart was that liquid detergent and dishwasher detergent was sold out. That's one thing we didn't stock up on. We will from now on.
Kinda hard sometimes to get a window into what makes people buy what. During the initial around here, we had the usual everything BUT toilet paper (till the log chain caught up, which it has). Distilled water (humidify wife's O2 concentrator) was left alone; big bottles of regular water left alone. People sure loved that Dasani stuff or something.

One thing I did notice that I thought odd. People had cleaned out any kind of sprayer or squeeze bottles of any kind of disinfectant or bleach. But they left the regular size Clorox bottles - from which one could refill their sprayers and are much cheaper in the mid/long run - alone. I wonder if that's a generational thing. Everything's a disposable.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 20:18   #860
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Chlorine bleach is pretty corrosive.

Not all spray bottles will work with it for very long.

Bleach also loses its potency pretty quickly.

It is good while it lasts though.

Pool shock is also handy, and more concentrated, but it too goes bad with time.

I recommend diesel, propane, or natural gas for generators.

Gasoline storage sufficient to power long-term needs is an expensive and time-consuming chore.

Diesel has some of the same issues as gasoline, and natural gas is dependent on the power to its distribution system.

At this point, for the long-term, I propose solar primary power with a battery bank and a smaller LP generator to handle higher load periods and to charge batteries. It isn't cheap though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 20:36   #861
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Gasoline storage sufficient to power long-term needs is an expensive and time-consuming chore.

TR
The gennies are just 'available', I mostly only use them when we need to shut down the solar system to clean the cables and terminals. The gasoline gets mostly used in the vehicles and replaced. The propane gennie is the go-to back-up. The portable is a back-up to it. And the propane failed once (during a weekly exercise period) so the portable was there to replace it if needed.

Also, before this event, I was in the process of changing over to lithium batteries but my supplier/installer is shut down. Bad timing.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 03-31-2020, 07:50   #862
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:

At this point, for the long-term, I propose solar primary power with a battery bank and a smaller LP generator to handle higher load periods and to charge batteries. It isn't cheap though.

TR
agree with this, been looking at having a off grid tool shed that I could use all power tools and equipment with panels during peak sun and some type of generator to charge batteries at night and run 12 volt RV lighting. even looking into steam power for the generator on duel truck Alternators. would not need something this big http://solarhomestead.com/our-steam-...ttery-charger/
because I would not run a whole house on it.

https://otherpower.com/steamengine.html more this one is what I am thinking about

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43   #863
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:

I recommend diesel, propane, or natural gas for generators.

Diesel has some of the same issues as gasoline, and natural gas is dependent on the power to its distribution system.

TR
100% agree with TR

To Add: In several of the 13? hurricanes we lived thru in the Key's 20yrs ago We gained some insights.

1)Diesel tops for gen-sets, boats, vehicles BUT you need to understand your resupply chain and consumption. The state, county & FEMA set delivery schedules and priorities. #1, all fuels went to LEO's, FD's and medical facilities, then to food services like grocery store gen-sets. The same rules for gas & LP. If you want the fuel, understand your use rates and plan a large supply.

2)Solar has become the #1 but it isn't economical on a small scale. Again build at least 50% over your max usage and for the battery bank as big as you can, w/ a stand-alone diesel gen-set.

3)for small operations like a camp(under 500sqft?) there are good wind generator kits and battery packs that will keep the lights lit and modest charging abilities for tools and communications. Also well as on-site back-up to solar when the sun doesn't shine. Remember the wind blows at nite..

My $00.0002

PS: For the hardcorp preppers,, wind generators don't make noise..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07   #864
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post

PS: For the hardcorp preppers,, wind generators don't make noise..
Oh yes they do! Our nearest neighbor is about a mile away and when the wind is from his direction we can hear his easily. I chose not to do wind after visiting some sites that had them and listening to boats moored nearby that had them. "Not my thing."

Old 03-31-2020, 11:23   #865
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Oh yes they do! Our nearest neighbor is about a mile away and when the wind is from his direction we can hear his easily. I chose not to do wind after visiting some sites that had them and listening to boats moored nearby that had them. "Not my thing."
Thanks.
I have been near a couple with 2-3ft blades and they seemed near soundless,,
OR maybe my hearing is as bad as the g-kids whisper to me

Old 03-31-2020, 11:44   #866
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Thanks.
I have been near a couple with 2-3ft blades and they seemed near soundless,,
OR maybe my hearing is as bad as the g-kids whisper to me
It's the blades whooping like a Huey that's the problem. I've seen many new blade designs that are attempting to solve the problem, though. The other thing I learned was the added danger when maintenance is needed unless you invest in a retractable mast. It just didn't make sense for the little and inconsistent power it would provide.

Old 10-16-2020, 22:27   #867
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
I'm thinking that, since we only use about 100 gals. a day, running the pump off the solar system for about 10 min. a day is doable.

Some pix:
OK. We replaced the 24 red flooded 2v lead-acid batteries today with 4 12v lithium batts. I have another steep learning curve here, but so does our solar guy. This is his first lithium install. There are very few totally off-grid solar folks here and we are the only residential that he has. He has an orchard farmer that is interested in upgrading also.

I was quoting post 774 above. The before before pix didn't follow the quote.

Also, the price for replacement was almost identical. The lead-acid were still good for another year or so, but the market has been kind to me and I was fed up with the maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (52.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by PSM; 10-16-2020 at 22:39.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:52   #868
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
OK. We replaced the 24 red flooded 2v lead-acid batteries today with 4 12v lithium batts. I have another steep learning curve here, but so does our solar guy. This is his first lithium install. There are very few totally off-grid solar folks here and we are the only residential that he has. He has an orchard farmer that is interested in upgrading also.

I was quoting post 774 above. The before before pix didn't follow the quote.

Also, the price for replacement was almost identical. The lead-acid were still good for another year or so, but the market has been kind to me and I was fed up with the maintenance.
Thanks for the pic. Holy Cow! what a difference in footprint!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:37   #869
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

for the OCD "I need more depth of coverage"

Wind turbines and solar-pannels can be augmented with a water-wheel system.

Water-wheel charging with a car alternator. The key is to use a drive wheel that is signifacantly larger than the pully on the alternator, like a 30+ inch bike rim?

https://www.google.com/search?client...sclient=psy-ab

Extended Use: rig a pump so the the generated power pumps water back up to your hooch

Old 10-19-2020, 10:42   #870
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:

I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?