Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 15:03   #16
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Thank you MtnGoat,

Well I originally planned on getting a durable G-Shock, I have never worn watches before but I know it will be handy knowing the time without a cell-phone (I'm a young buck still) and being able to use it in the field.

I have been writing on a watch forum and summarized that I'm completely new to the watches and because I'm overwhelmed by the choices, and not knowing what I will need, I think I'll get something sturdy and simple that will just tell time (ie a nice looking Analog watch), and can always upgrade to digital ProTrek ABC GPS type watches in the future if need arises.

So I was hoping to wear something through BCT that I can wear 24/7, not need to take it off during muddy low crawls or showers, and not have to worry about it being inaccurate (losing/gaining minutes monthly, etc...)

So I made up this list of watches that I currently am attracted to,

GS2000 130 gbp (approx 190 usd)
Marathon Navigator 190 usd
Traser Type 3 Tritium 117 usd
Seiko SNZG15 104 usd
Casio AMW320R-1EV 50 usd
Seiko SNK809 62 usd
Timex T49875 50 usd

I really like the look of the Marathon Navigator and the Traser... I'm seeing which is the most accurate and most durable (dirt proof, mud proof, water proof), don't want it fogging up getting cloudy under the glass and stop working.

I know I said under 100 but I realized that there are few closer to 200 that may be well worth it. Once again, I wouldn't be taking this watch off, and I rarely buy stuff for myself, when I do it lasts me a long time as I'm responsible with my items.
Old 11-03-2012, 15:29   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I don't think the watch makes the man.

A watch is a timepiece. It may also have other functions, like an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, GPS, alarm, etc.

Certainly, a ruggedized version is desirable in our line of work.

And a digital will keep better time, though then you have to either go solar, or worry about the batteries. Changing batteries can compromise the watertight integrity of the watch.

A mechanical watch, even a self-winder or automatic, has to be wound or exercised.

Most kids today will not wear a watch, they use cell phones for the time.

I guess the bottom line here is if you have less than $100, you will have to compromise somewhere. If your budget is unlimited, you can have one that will do nearly everything, or at least make you fashionable while you are wearing it.

Ultimately, a watch is a tool to tell time. The better job it does of that, in all conditions, the better watch you have acquired. You will probably own several in your life time. Looks and style are irrelevant to its intended purpose and are marketing tools the manufacturer uses. Don't over think it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 11-03-2012, 15:34   #18
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I don't think the watch makes the man.

A watch is a timepiece. It may also have other functions, like an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, GPS, alarm, etc.

Certainly, a ruggedized version is desirable in our line of work.

And a digital will keep better time, though then you have to either go solar, or worry about the batteries. Changing batteries can compromise the watertight integrity of the watch.

A mechanical watch, even a self-winder or automatic, has to be wound or exercised.

Most kids today will not wear a watch, they use cell phones for the time.

I guess the bottom line here is if you have less than $100, you will have to compromise somewhere. If your budget is unlimited, you can have one that will do nearly everything, or at least make you fashionable while you are wearing it.

Ultimately, a watch is a tool to tell time. The better job it does of that, in all conditions, the better watch you have acquired. You will probably own several in your life time. Looks and style are irrelevant to its intended purpose. Don't over think it.

TR
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your input, that summarized it quite clearly for me, as I suspected I was over thinking it as I typically do. I also suspected that I'd buy quite a few watches, but I want this first one to be a special watch, I'm sentimental about it, but won't be too disappointed if it gets lost/broken.

With that said, I really do want an accurate quartz analog watch that will tell time precisely.

But I've noticed that a lot of these watches have +/- 15 or greater discrepancy ratings, which to my untrained eye seems steep if I'll pay $200.

I'm willing to pay $200 for a top quality watch (not a Rolex, I understand).
Old 11-03-2012, 18:35   #19
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Save your money- buy a solid analog, stainless watch. I have had a Rolex Submariner, a Seiko dive watch and an Omega Seamaster. I prefer the Omega.
Old 11-03-2012, 19:21   #20
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaleci View Post
Thank you MtnGoat,

Well I originally planned on getting a durable G-Shock, I have never worn watches before but I know it will be handy knowing the time without a cell-phone (I'm a young buck still) and being able to use it in the field.

I have been writing on a watch forum and summarized that I'm completely new to the watches and because I'm overwhelmed by the choices, and not knowing what I will need, I think I'll get something sturdy and simple that will just tell time (ie a nice looking Analog watch), and can always upgrade to digital ProTrek ABC GPS type watches in the future if need arises.

So I was hoping to wear something through BCT that I can wear 24/7, not need to take it off during muddy low crawls or showers, and not have to worry about it being inaccurate (losing/gaining minutes monthly, etc...)

So I made up this list of watches that I currently am attracted to,

GS2000 130 gbp (approx 190 usd)
Marathon Navigator 190 usd
Traser Type 3 Tritium 117 usd
Seiko SNZG15 104 usd
Casio AMW320R-1EV 50 usd
Seiko SNK809 62 usd
Timex T49875 50 usd

I really like the look of the Marathon Navigator and the Traser... I'm seeing which is the most accurate and most durable (dirt proof, mud proof, water proof), don't want it fogging up getting cloudy under the glass and stop working.

I know I said under 100 but I realized that there are few closer to 200 that may be well worth it. Once again, I wouldn't be taking this watch off, and I rarely buy stuff for myself, when I do it lasts me a long time as I'm responsible with my items.
FWIW. Many years ago, an experienced watch repairman told me to not wear a watch to bed. He said that they needed to be taken apart and cleaned much more frequently. He went on to add, that a lot of lint found it's way into those watches regularly worn to bed. It made sense to me, so I never wear a watch to bed. I don't know if his advice includes watches with screwdown crowns.

As to the Casio I pointed out, it is polished, and will reflect light very well. Also, after a few hours without light, the face is hard to read in complete darkness. The watch does not use tritum for markers. As for light reflection, most all the watches that I have, reflect light very well; especially from the glass lens/crystal covering the watch face. I have not looked for a watch with an antireflective lens/crystal, I suppose they are out there.

I must say, that you are putting a lot of time and research into your quest for a watch. I hope you find what you are looking for. TR has it boiled down pretty well; he always does. Again, good luck.

RF 1

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 11-03-2012 at 19:24.
Old 11-03-2012, 21:00   #21
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the reply.. I will still state that buy what you need. Most watches nowsdays that are "ruggedized " will do what you're asking of a watch.

Quote:
I was hoping to wear something through BCT that I can wear 24/7, not need to take it off during muddy low crawls or showers, and not have to worry about it being inaccurate (losing/gaining minutes monthly, etc...)
I will say that what TR said, about that if start going solar, or Kinetic Watches you may not worry about batteries. But I personally don't like those style watches for work. Don't get one of the watches that you can charge off a laptop or wall, BAD IDEA for the feild!!!!!!!

Buy what you need it for.. Tell time, alarms, stop watch, timers, Back lightings??? GPS?? altimeter?? barometer?? thermometer?? Maybe kool and great to have, but do you need a $300 to $1000.00 watch for muddy low crawls or showers and to wear 24/7?? WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS? I say buy for your needs and go from there. Needs will change later on. Just like that Laptop or Ipod you got last year!!??!!

Look on Youtube too, a lott of reviews on watches there too. If you haven't already.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 11-04-2012, 15:03   #22
El Rojo
Asset

Solar

I have been wearing a tough solar G-Shock for a few years now with no issues. Its pretty basic but keeps good time and doesn't need its battery changed.
Old 11-04-2012, 21:31   #23
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I don't think the watch makes the man

TR
Right. it takes more than a Rolex.
You need a cool car,
and a pair of Rayban Aviators,
and a Harley,
and a leather jacket,
and a pretty wife or a hot girl friend (or both)
and a green beret.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04   #24
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

More detailed response

Concur with the general thought of function over form. The watch is a tool and you need to be "OK" with using it as a hammer if necessary

My Casio use started back in the late 80’s – early 90’s. My first was a Casio ARW-320 (Alti-Depth). The Altimeter function came in handy for navigating in mountainous terrain. Of course it was necessary to understand the impact of weather and barometric changes on the readings. Fate: After several battery changes the watch eventually just stopped functioning and had to be retired.

The first of several G-shocks I’ve owned through the years began with the DW-5900E… Never had issues with the watch although the bands would only last about a year or so. I think Casio changed the materials as the newer models seem to fare better and not be as brittle. Fate: The outer plastic/rubber split and fell off the watch so it was basically a metal disk.

Replacement G-Shock DW met a similar fate after about 4 years of use. The plastic covers over the selection buttons fell off one by one which left fairly sharp pins you either had to press or got snagged on things… There were a couple others along the way that ended up in similar condition and were retired either due to physical damage or after a couple years would simply cease to function for whatever reason. It was cheaper to replace than repair in most cases.

Life for these watches was abusive. All watches went unpressurized to altitude, extremes of heat and cold and were victim to whatever else I went through. None cost over $100. I found increased functionality also included increased battery consumption. Bezel and case construction mattered as the integrity of the watch would be compromised if gaskets were damaged or became worn. I had one instance where a jeweler incorrectly reassembled the watch (inverted a metal gasket during a battery replacement) and took me some time to determine what the cause of the problem was. I liked the durability in relation to the price point. Ease of use and readability of the dial were primary. Didn’t help having a dozen different readouts and indicators on the dial that I couldn’t make out… A digital circle sweeping for seconds was pretty much worthless and just cluttered the face. Likewise function indicators that were very difficult to read were a turn-off.

As a former-action-guy.. I’ve stuck with Casio for day-to-day wear…but have no need for the durability of the G-shock and have gone with the functionality of an analog watch with digital alarms.

James Madison
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25   #25
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Go to Wal Mart and buy this watch:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/1762770?ad...l5=pla&veh=sem

IMO, this is more than enough watch for telling time, making it through the low crawl pit, and reminding you to wake your battle buddy to take over fireguard. Go out and get a more high speed and expensive model as a BCT and AIT graduation gift to yourself with the piles of money the Army will be paying you.
Ironically enough, the DW-9052 is exactly what I bought last night from Wal-Mart for $46, I only just read your post now, so good advice, as I enjoy the watch and its simplicity.

Thank you Ret10Echo, I read your post and, like others I've read before who wore G-Shocks and Casios, have realized that their line of watches are affordable, durable, and should not let you down easily.

I really do want a reliable Analog some day, most likely will get one of the Nite MX10's or something very similar (meant to be 'mil-spec', reportedly given to members of SAS, I think it is one of the few legit companies that claim such though, and isn't just a marketing ploy.)

I know I have a habit of over-complicating simple purchases for myself, but I like to make sure I get it right the first time, as I dislike shopping for myself.

Thanks Dozer523 for the laugh, the "Green Beret" ending was great. I'd love to be a part of the legacy, but I think my color deficiency will hold me back from that ever happening. But the Army needs 68W's too, so I'm just glad to be helping any way I can.

Best wishes to all of you, will speak to you again I'm sure, most likely after BCT though.
Old 11-05-2012, 14:43   #26
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Thank God that's over!
Old 11-05-2012, 15:00   #27
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Thank God that's over!
WHAT !!!!!!!!
DID YOU SAY, OVER ?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Old 11-05-2012, 15:11   #28
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
WHAT !!!!!!!!
DID YOU SAY, OVER ?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Dude, either put down the mouse, or put the box of wine back in the fridge.
Old 11-05-2012, 15:22   #29
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank God that's over!
I can give you an AMEN on that, Brother.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
Old 11-05-2012, 15:24   #30
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Thank God that's over!
Until my next watch purchase.