Old 09-14-2012, 15:13   #1
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Blackhawk warranty

Anyone remember back in the day when Blackhawk used to offer a "forever" warranty on their products? I distinctly remember words along the lines of "as long as you don't use it for kindling, or get it caught up in a ship's propeller...".

Well, my 3-day assault pack is getting pretty worn out and I should get a new one before deploying. The last time I called Blackhawk (~10 years ago) they sent me a new one with no questions asked.

A phone call today though, and the customer service rep clearly emphasized that it means "manufacturing defects" only, not wear and tear...

Well, I suppose I can't really fault them for this. I bought my first Blackhawk (sorry I refuse to put their silly little exclamation mark there) pack in (I think) 1998, after a Squeal* I met in the 18D paramedic extension course told me about former team guys who started making their own gear for sale. The pack was damn well made back then, but the warranty was definitely part of the reason I spent my money on it.

Well, like I said, I guess it's not really reasonable for them to have sold me a pack for "a lifetime", and getting 7-8 years of good use out of one means it's pretty well made. I'm no longer a poor E-6 so I'll pony up the money for a new pack, and still probably support their company... but I guess I was a little dissapointed nonetheless...

Rich L

* Nothing but love for our web-footed bretheren....!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 15:37   #2
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
Your post
According to the wayback machine, located here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200308012...m/warranty.asp

In 2003, their warranty page said the following:

"Thank you for choosing quality BlackHawk gear! We offer one of the finest warranties in the industry. BlackHawk and HydraStorm products are guaranteed against manufacturing defects for as long as you own them. That’s for the rest of your life! HellStorm Tactical Gloves and Accessories and HydraStorm reservoirs carry a full One Year Warranty."

I don't know if the warranty cards they included in their merchandise said something different or not...

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50   #3
MAB32

When did they...

I have a vest from them that has never seen the light of day. I am curious, when did they go to Vietnam to make them?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56   #4
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I'm no longer a poor E-6 so I'll pony up the money for a new pack, and still probably support their company...
Just FYI.

http://kitup.military.com/2010/04/bl...ht-by-atk.html
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58   #5
Sinister
Quiet Professional

I would have to dig around but i think I still have one of their original catalogs -- like six pages of hand-drawn ditto-style xerox sheets.

When they went corporate all promises were off. I remember calling from Okinawa in the early/mid-90s to get custom stuff made for my company -- no dice.

Went back to Eagle and have never looked back. Now that Eagle's been sold I'd have to default to someone else.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59   #6
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I would have to dig around but i think I still have one of their original catalogs -- like six pages of hand-drawn ditto-style xerox sheets.

When they went corporate all promises were off. I remember calling from Okinawa in the early/mid-90s to get custom stuff made for my company -- no dice.

Went back to Eagle and have never looked back. Now that Eagle's been sold I'd have to default to someone else.
When you find that someone, please let me know. It seems that the collective pool of available suppliers is getting smaller and smaller.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29   #7
MAB32

A while ago

mikeyt October 29, 2010 at 9:32 am
As a BLACKHAWK! employee, I can assure you that business is the same as usual. We have not cut back on quality as mentioned by "FRANK" above and there is definetly no penny pinching going on. Yes, BLACKHAWK! has been purchased by ATK and like I mentioned before, it's business as usual. No, I'm sorry, business is getting stronger as we meld with the other ATK owned companies, ie: Eagle Industries, Federal Premium ammunition, Estate Cartridge, Weaver Optics, Outers, Shooters Ridge, Fusion, CCI, Speer, Champion Clay Targest, Gunslick Pro, Redfield, Simmons, Alliant Powder and several others. So, "Mr. blackhawkdown", I don't know how you feel about some of the companies mentioned above that are owned by ATK, but the feeling is "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T MESS WITH IT"! You just can't please everyone.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2010/04/bl...#ixzz27232exoi
Kit Up!
Old 09-20-2012, 17:40   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Blackhawk makes some of the worst knockoffs of others designs, in...let's just say, very inexpensive places to have people sew for you. The most expensive gear is not always the best, but the cheapest almost never is.

What is a warranty worth when a piece of critical gear fails on you at the worst possible moment, because the material, thread, construction, sewing, etc. was inferior?

How happy would you be with a lifetime warranty on a parachute, if it failed you in flight?

FWIW, I was sorry to see Eagle go the route they did, and their current production, while available in great quantities, is not made to the standards that they used to apply when John was in charge.

First Spear is run by some of the former Eagle guys. I think their stuff is pretty good, so far. http://www.first-spear.com/home.php

Caveat Emptor.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 20:45   #9
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

I would also recommend GoRuck. Started by two SF brothers and their rucks are made in America and DO have a lifetime guarantee. They are also huge supporters of the Green Beret Foundation.

Send me a PM if you have any questions or want more intel

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29   #10
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Wish L.L. Bean made tactical gear ...
Old 09-28-2012, 17:25   #11
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka316 View Post
I would also recommend GoRuck. Started by two SF brothers and their rucks are made in America and DO have a lifetime guarantee. They are also huge supporters of the Green Beret Foundation.

Send me a PM if you have any questions or want more intel

molon labe
Their cadre page is a hoot. No one but team guys could have written it: https://www.goruckchallenge.com/Cadre/Index