Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 02-13-2018, 15:22   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency

Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...on-requirement

At first I thought this was the duffleblog.

"The U.S. Army will drop its hand grenade competency requirement for graduation from basic training because getting recruits to pass it is taking “too much time” and they’re just not strong enough, Major General Malcolm Frost told reporters on Friday.

Changes to the Army’s Basic Combat Training (BTC) will eliminate the current hand grenade proficiency standards as a requirement for graduation...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 15:53   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
"The U.S. Army will drop its hand grenade competency requirement for graduation from basic training because getting recruits to pass it is taking “too much time” and they’re just not strong enough, Major General Malcolm Frost told reporters on Friday.

I guess the next change is a new 22LR rifle,, so they don't get bruised from recoil??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3IORZ79ISg

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 15:58   #3
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...on-requirement

At first I thought this was the duffleblog.

Changes to the Army’s Basic Combat Training (BTC) will eliminate the current hand grenade proficiency standards as a requirement for graduation...."
I imagine that the particular skill set will be preserved as a requirement in the infantry MOS training.
Old 02-13-2018, 17:11   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

"not strong enough" - ok, that's in the YGBSM realm. Drop all pretense, address it in 11B AIT, and stop calling it Basic Combat Training.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 18:52   #5
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I think grenade training should INCREASE!!!!!

In my experience, most of the time when grenades are used they end up injuring friendly forces. We are too scared of grenades, like they are some kind of wizardry or sorcery like in the movie 300.

I carried 2 with me in combat and vowed I would only use them over an Afghan style wall or as a last ditch effort when being overrun. Thank God neither happened.

But increased usage and training prevents accidents and fratricide. Knowledge of what they do and don’t do makes employing them in the right manner easier!

But then, we’ll just not train with them because women can’t throw them...that’s a good plan!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 20:53   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

If the army has decided that we need to stop doing hand grenade training in boot camp because soldiers aren't strong enough to throw hand grenades and that training troops how to throw something the size of a baseball os taking up too much training time......
.....well, I no longer want to hear the word warrior used to describe Soldiers coming into the US army

I refuse to accept that this is anything but a hoax so I am just going to return to the comfort of my easy chair.
Someplace peaceful...
"Someplace warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano."
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 02-13-2018 at 21:07.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 20:55   #7
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Guess they're going to have to change the EIB test as I remember 2 of the stations dealing with grenades. Had to throw one within the 5 meter kill zone of a target and the other you had to get into a bunker from a prescribed distance away.
With all this comingling of sexes in the combat arms I guess they can play grab ass instead of worrying about destroying the enemy any way necessary.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 21:27   #8
PSM
Area Commander

It may be the trainers' technique. I had a problem throwing them accurately in basic, too, because they told us to throw them like a baseball. Problem was, I threw sidearm. Our CO told me to throw it like a football. Solved the problem; the spoon was the laces.

The article also says that they are dropping land nav. There was no land nav in Basic in my day. If a REMF found themselves in combat they were to follow the Infantry guy in front of them...then shoot and throw grenades where they were told.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 21:40   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
There was no land nav in Basic in my day.
Really? Man, you missed the fun stuff, how could they do that to you?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 02-13-2018, 21:45   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Really? Man, you missed the fun stuff, how could they do that to you?
I got plenty of it in AIT. And loved every minute of it! I was at Ft. Ord.

I was just on Skype with my son and he confirmed that he had it in basic and it was the hardest skill to learn. Yeah, so why waste time training a bunch of troops that will never need it? They may well need to defend a premier and stand guard duty, but they aren't going to lead a patrol. Leave that to combat arms AIT.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 22:36   #11
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Between Reception and Basic/AIT Combat Engineers Ft. Leonard Wood a trainee was killed and the drill Sargent was seriously wounded by a grenade, needless to say when we got to the grenade range there was no messing around. The second you threw you were pancaked to the ground behind the wall. One small soldier was marked pass but not allowed to throw because of his performance with the dummies.

They had also just brought back bayonet training, I have seen a lot of criticism over that but I think many of us enjoyed the pugil sticks and bayonet training.

Basic hand to hand, Land Nav. And some nice lanes built up to some nice nocturnal lanes with cracking pyrotechnics... Airborne School...Never did see an actual PDM like in the books at the Gruber Rd barracks. The 122 daisy chained claymores ... Pure awesome !

Very glad to have gotten that kind of initial training!

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 02-13-2018 at 23:30.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:10   #12
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

So they no longer have bayonet training, and now they're dropping grenades too? Those were the reasons I wanted to go to basic to begin with(in addition to crew-served training). All this at the same time the Army is re-designing basic training to address low-discipline and lack of strength issues?

What's the point in basic then? BRM and D&C?

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26   #13
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

" and they’re just not strong enough"

...."
LOL....So, are they saying that the meaning "You Throw Like a Girl" is accurate?

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:13   #14
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

also....

FNC announced this morning that BCT was undergoing significant changes because the recruits act "entitled" - they did not elaborate on what those changes were going to be though.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
LOL....So, are they saying that the meaning "You Throw Like a Girl" is accurate?
Heh, and sadly they're probably not talking about just girls. Alright you FOGs out there... if you have little grand-kids, pink or blue, and are not out playing catch & teaching them how to bean someone with a fallen crabapple you are failing in one of your core missions.