Old 04-27-2020, 19:12   #2566
Jperrine
Asset

Former 18D recently introduced

Former 18D and member of the infamous "dirty dozen" 300f1 class of '92. If anyone recognizes me from there or maybe ODA 376/373 in the Haiti/Uganda days give me a shout! Currently working as a family practice NP (although in orthopedics right now). Every day is a great day to be retired.
Jperrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:27   #2567
glebo
Quiet Professional

Another 3d Herder, Welcome aboard. Lots of good stuff on here..
I, R_____ M____ G____ do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God. (5 U.S.C. 3331)
glebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 15:04   #2568
Jperrine
Asset

Hey 3rd Grp check the thread so somebody can save me from this lame-ass "asset" identifier. Let me know if I should post a pic of my DHG Buck knife.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:27   #2569
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperrine View Post
Hey 3rd Grp check the thread so somebody can save me from this lame-ass "asset" identifier. Let me know if I should post a pic of my DHG Buck knife.
Well, get off your "lame ass"....lol and look up an admin and present your bonafides to him, via PM, or on here and request to be vetted..

Easy peasy.

Darn 3d herders...
I, R_____ M____ G____ do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God. (5 U.S.C. 3331)
Old 05-13-2020, 14:52   #2570
Jperrine
Asset

Thx for the tip Glebo. I was misinformed on how the process worked. I think Im on track now.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:07   #2571
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperrine View Post
Thx for the tip Glebo. I was misinformed on how the process worked. I think Im on track now.
No worries, you're a medic..so....
Old 06-10-2020, 19:23   #2572
pmandal
Asset

Update

I posted an introduction a while ago before I joined the Army so I'll post an update.

I commissioned from OCS back in January and got my top branch choice, Infantry. I will graduate IBOLC in 6 weeks if I can pass the 5 mile run in 40 minutes (I barely passed the first time around running it in 39:44). IBOLC has put me in pretty bad shape so I once again need to work on my fitness.

I have received my orders and I'm going to the 11th ACR at Ft. Irwin. I have mixed feelings about this; being OPFOR will be a great experience for me but I have virtually no chance to deploy and I'll have to deal with California gun laws.

Once I graduate, I'm going to the Bradley Leadership Course, then Airborne, and then Ranger. I really want that tab and will work my ass off to prep for it, but as of now I know that my fitness is not my odds of making it through RAP week are slim.

I definitely have had a bit of a reality check on whether I have what it takes to get through SFAS. As of now, the answer is a definate no but there is no reason why that can't change before I hit 1LT promotable.
pmandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:46   #2573
JTX4322
Asset

Greetings everyone,

I recently graduated college and have signed an 18X contract, where I will ship out in about a month. I'm incredibly lucky to have this opportunity and have trained incredibly hard to get the most out of my myself; both physically and mentally. I'm very happy to have found this forum with its wealth of information, and will continue to soak up everything I can before shipping. I look forward to my time here and appreciate everyone's service here to our great country.

Thank you
JTX4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 13:36   #2574
jf69
Asset

35M looking toward the future

I am currently in my early 20’s and a lower enlisted HUMINTer in the National Guard. I come to this forum seeking knowledge and perhaps a mentor after I decide more precisely what I want my career to look like moving forward.

Army-wise, I have done my initial entry stuff, DLI (3/3/2 in Farsi and Dari), and basic airborne course. I am now one weekend a month in a run-of-the-mill guard unit. Aside from the Guard duties, I study International Relations and Middle Eastern languages full time in university. Upon graduation next year, my plan is to get an enlisted deployment under my belt before applying to OCS and beginning a PhD program.

In the next few years, I hope to continue progressing physically and career-wise so that I have adequate knowledge and ability to contribute to the military’s mission. I am currently most interested in the SF or special assignments routes. I feel my biggest hurdles in getting selected for either type of work are my total unfamiliarity with small unit tactics, radios, land-navigation and just about all the traditional army stuff. Physically I'm good (but not great), though speed is a work in progress.

I am looking forward to browsing these forums to see what possibilities exist for young officers and the best ways I can prepare for such opportunities. In addition to consuming knowledge, I look forward to giving my input when requested on subjects I know, such as DLI and airborne school.

Thanks for reading,
B
jf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:23   #2575
cst
Asset

Introduction

I am 23, I just got a degree in Economics from Binghamton, and I'm an aspiring green beret. I was a varsity track athlete in HS (I could run a 4:50 mile), so nothing too special but I have a good cardio base. I graduated college at 140 lbs (due to uncontrollable stresses in my personal life while trying to get through college and working several jobs). I was pretty sedentary during college aside from getting pretty good at rock climbing.(I can do 20+ pull-ups and like 5-10 muscle ups). After college I decided to start putting on weight and when I saw my cousin take a year off to go to BUDS, I decided to do the same thing and become a Navy SEAL, so I quit my corporate job after saving up some money and got on unemployment and Ive been training for about 6 months to go to BUDS. I put on 35 lbs of muscle just swimming and lifting. When the pandemic hit, I had to stop swimming so I just started running and rucking. I lost some weight and am down to 165 at the moment. I can run a 5k with 45 lbs on my back in 24 minutes flat rn and Ive mostly been working on pushups, running, rucking and some bear crawls to replace the swimming. I read Get Selected (after breaking BUDS) and am currently reading the US Army Small Unit Tactics Handbook, and after doing some extensive research I think the Army is much more up my alley. Besides, my dad was armor and went to West Point, so it feels much more fitting. Also, the more I read about SEALS, the less professional they seem in comparison to Army SF. So Ive traded out my fins for some boots and I'm on my way. As soon as I'm ready, I'm going to head to the recruiter and demand an 18X contract. I ordered an alice pack and 3 pairs of boots and some gear and have been training non-stop. I got the gen 2 nikes even though people say they hurt your achilles but they've been really comfy so far. I got some lightweight Rockys and some Rocky S2Vs as well. I haven't read much through this forum yet, so I don't want to ask any redundant questions, but any advice would be much appreciated. Also just wondering if 165 is a good weight or if I should try to bulk up some more.
cst is offline   Reply With Quote