Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 12-10-2010, 09:54   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Custer's Last Flag: Culbertson Guidon from Battle of Little Bighorn

The guidon goes on the auction block tomorrow at Sotheby's in NYC. The information provided on its history - its loss and recovery - is interesting.

http://www.sothebys.com/minisite/pdf...pdf/N08705.pdf

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CusterGuidon.jpg (26.9 KB, 57 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40   #2
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Bids starting at 2,000,000 (usd).

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:25   #3
mojaveman
Area Commander

Authenticating relics like these is usually a long and interesting story in itself that involves hours and hours of painstaking research.

I once saw a buckskin coat that Custer supposedly wore at the Battle of the Little Bighorn for sale online.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-10-2010 at 18:46.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfkmCNwHNbM
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

I had the opportunity when I was up in that area quite a few years ago to take the tour and see the grave sites and heard the "true" story about his last stand........
It too is an interesting story............ After the tour I started heading for my car and met 2 indian guys who told me that on the anniversary they go and "piss on his grave"with quite a few other indian guys...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
After the tour I started heading for my car and met 2 indian guys who told me that on the anniversary they go and "piss on his grave"with quite a few other indian guys...
I don't know, Teddy, that sounds like an old squaw's tale for impressing the gullible 'pale face' tourists to me.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30   #7
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I had the opportunity when I was up in that area quite a few years ago to take the tour and see the grave sites and heard the "true" story about his last stand........
True Teddy,

A Cavalry Troop going up against a Regiment of Indians doesn't make for good odds. Custers 'last stand' was more of a reverse uphill rout. They fought bravely though.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35   #8
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
It too is an interesting story............ After the tour I started heading for my car and met 2 indian guys who told me that on the anniversary they go and "piss on his grave"with quite a few other indian guys...........

Big Teddy
lol Bet that really gets on ol' Yellowhair's nerves. Idiots.
Old 12-10-2010, 13:33   #9
MVP
Quiet Professional

Custer set-up?

I once saw a story saying that Custer's political enemies had set his command up for annihilation. I have been interested in him as a hunter for many years (avatar) and have a re-creation of his 50-70 Remington rolling block sporting rifle lost at the battle. He is holding the rifle in the photo.

Guess I need to get off my a.. and research this further.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 19:23   #10
ApacheIP
Asset

There is plenty of material about the battle out there, but a recent book, Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick , might be the best of the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
I once saw a story saying that Custer's political enemies had set his command up for annihilation. I have been interested in him as a hunter for many years (avatar) and have a re-creation of his 50-70 Remington rolling block sporting rifle lost at the battle. He is holding the rifle in the photo.

Guess I need to get off my a.. and research this further.

MVP
ApacheIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 19:37   #11
wet dog

Reno

http://custer.over-blog.com/article-15476437.html

Not sure just how to interpret this.....

other sources say, had Reno returned with the 6 companies he commanded, the battle would have gone the other way.

I'm guessing it may have lasted longer, been more KIA, but in the end, a bunch a white guys in the middle of the prarie still get all the arrows.
Old 12-10-2010, 20:03   #12
219seminole
Guerrilla

I'll echo ApacheIP's comments on the Philbrick book. It is the best, most comprehensive BBH book I've come across.

BTW, the drawings by Red Horse (fig 18) in the Sotheby's catalog depict the troopers with sabers; actually, their sabers were packed away for this campaign and they went into the battle as mounted infantry.

This guidon is an interesting piece of history, certainly worth the big bucks. One of Libby Custer's books was titled Follow the Guidon.
219seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:07   #13
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219seminole View Post
I'll echo ApacheIP's comments on the Philbrick book. It is the best, most comprehensive BBH book I've come across.

BTW, the drawings by Red Horse (fig 18) in the Sotheby's catalog depict the troopers with sabers; actually, their sabers were packed away for this campaign and they went into the battle as mounted infantry.

This guidon is an interesting piece of history, certainly worth the big bucks. One of Libby Custer's books was titled Follow the Guidon.
Good to know, I'll add it to the list, thanks.

Wet Dog
Old 12-10-2010, 20:30   #14
ApacheIP
Asset

Whether or not Reno had been able to move his troopers into the battle ultimately would not have mattered at all because his capacity to command and maneuver them was seriously hampered by the fact he spent a good bit of the battle rip roaring drunk.

Luckily Benteen had some clarity of thought during the siege.

Benteen disliked Custer greatly and procrastinated on his march to link with Custer. Odlly enough his lazy march to the sound of the guns (and Custer's orders) probably inadvertantly saved the rest of the command.

Wet Dog is right, if the balance of the column had reached Custer there would have been even more dead 7th troopers.

Edit: Thanks to Richard for bringing this up. That guidon is an iconic piece of American history.

Last edited by ApacheIP; 12-10-2010 at 20:36.
ApacheIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:55   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IMHO, Custer was an asshole, in addition to being an egomaniac and a publicity hound.

This was possibly a consequence of his Class of 1862 graduating a year early and him being directly promoted from Captain to Brigadier General two years later, at age 23. Custer did have a decent performance at Gettysburg, probably the pinnacle of his career. He made Major General before the end of the War, and then reverted to his permanent rank of Captain again. Ouch, bet that hurt.

Unfortunately, his leaders trusted him with men's lives, and he ultimately let them all down.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote