Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 09-06-2018, 13:44   #16
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudGSMom View Post
Flagg, but a couple other thoughts I’d like to add to the mix.

Nike headquarters is in Portland, as is their ad firm, Wieden+Kennedy, so any testing of ads would be in that decidedly liberal milieu. Meaning, no real relation to the mainstream America that has tanked Dick’s and caused NFL viewership to plummet. It is possible this is a colossal financial misstep on Nikes’ part.

Then again, I don’t know the demographics of those who wear Nike products. Perhaps they aren’t playing to an echo chamber, or rather, their customers exist in that chamber.
I suspect Nike(with such a massive global presence and supply chain) would be running many Marketing tests across national markets to estimate campaign performance.

It certainly sounds like brands are moving into the space of “what I wear is what I believe(politically)”

Which is kind of sad.

To me it feels a lot like similar behaviour we have with sports team brands.

Following sports is fun and all, but I’ve always felt kind of sad for those who feel the need to continuously broadcast their identity/affinity group/tribe like walking billboards.

Real belonging(which we all strive for and arguably need) has far more depth than a sports jersey or brand “swoosh”.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 15:41   #17
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post

It certainly sounds like brands are moving into the space of “what I wear is what I believe(politically)”

Which is kind of sad.
Lol, oh it’s not all bad...wearing HK, Glock, SIG and others...

“...just shoot it !!”

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 18:00   #18
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Is Hale Bopp due to come around again? Nike has had a few messiahs, Colin kind of looks like Marshal Applewhite.
...we can only hope

https://timeline.com/the-heavens-gat...e-7f440ab4b333

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:16   #19
Penn
Area Commander

We received this today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nike.jpg (19.8 KB, 22 views)
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 16:37   #20
Cobwebs
Quiet Professional

I was eating at a sports bar/restaurant in Rockford Michigan when the news came on about Nike and Kapernick... I remembered I was wearing Nike shoes...after dinner as we exited I sat down at a bench adjacent to restaurant and took off the shoes and hung them from a tree.
Many people walking by began cheering and taking pictures. Another patron leaving saw my shoes and hung his Nikes next to mine. I urge everyone to start a Nike tree in their hometown.... F them...

r
Cobwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 00:04   #21
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Nike Drops Fourth of July Sneaker

Nike pulls it's latest sneaker from stores after Kaepernick objects to the American flag on them. Shame on Nike for catering to that over-privileged POS.

I have a firecracker I'd like to put somewhere enlightening...

Quote:
Just don’t do it.

That was the message ex-NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick delivered to Nike over the planned release of a USA-themed sneaker, which featured a Betsy Ross flag on the heel, according to a report.

Nike nixed the released of the Air Max 1 USA after having already sent the sneakers to retailers because the protesting quarterback said he felt the use of the Betsy Ross flag was offensive and carried slavery connotations, sources told The Wall Street Journal.
Source.

S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoe.jpg (50.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40   #22
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nike pulls it's latest sneaker from stores after Kaepernick objects to the American flag on them. Shame on Nike for catering to that over-privileged POS.

I have a firecracker I'd like to put somewhere enlightening...

Source.

S.
Nike has given him way to much say when it comes to dictating their brand, it's all or nothing with that guy. F*** Nike and him.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:07   #23
glebo
Quiet Professional

So...who's paying who??? If Nike is paying Klusterfuck to advertise and sponsorship, and Klusterfuck dictates what Nike can market????

When did that shit change???
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25   #24
Box
Quiet Professional

So - I had a pair of NIke shoes that were cursed to serving as yard duty shoes when they pulled that shit with Colon Cleptonick - now they will just go in the trash.

The stink from my feet deserves better than Nike.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:38   #25
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
So - I had a pair of NIke shoes that were cursed to serving as yard duty shoes when they pulled that shit with Colon Cleptonick - now they will just go in the trash.

The stink from my feet deserves better than Nike.
If Nike made toilet paper, I wouldn't wipe my ass with it.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:13   #26
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
So...who's paying who??? If Nike is paying Klusterfuck to advertise and sponsorship, and Klusterfuck dictates what Nike can market????

When did that shit change???
If the Army pays the E4-Mafia,, does the SMG listen to their whining??

Nike is afraid of the SJWers

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16   #27
rsdengler
Area Commander

Nike and KaeperDICK....All I have to say is "You can Both Kiss My Little White Ass"......Happy 4th of July; that Red, White, and Blue Flag will be flying high and proud this Holiday. I think a few firecrackers shoved up their lackey asses would be a nice ending to any good fireworks finale........Light Em Up...Happy 4th.....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:09   #28
PSM
Area Commander

Arizona Gov. Ducey to pull Nike incentives over Colin Kaepernick controversy

Quote:
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5)-- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced Tuesday that he is ordering the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentives for Nike, who wants to build a manufacturing plant in Goodyear.

The Arizona Governor made the announcement in a series of tweets following a Wall Street Journal report that said former NFL player Colin Kaepernick urged Nike to pull a USA-themed sneaker, which featured a Betsy Ross flag. According to the report, Kaepernick and others found the shoe offensive.

"Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag," Nike said in a statement to CNN Business Monday evening.

Ducey tweeted that "today was supposed to be a good day in Arizona, with the announcement of a major Nike investment in Goodyear, AZ."
"And then this news broke yesterday afternoon. Words cannot express my disappointment at this terrible decision. I am embarrassed for Nike," Ducey added. "Nike is an iconic American brand and American company. This country, our system of government and free enterprise have allowed them to prosper and flourish. Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is unworthy, and has bowed to the current onslaught of political correctness and historical revisionism."

Ducey tweeted that "It is a shameful retreat for the company. American businesses should be proud of our country’s history, not abandoning it."
"Nike has made its decision, and now we’re making ours. I’ve ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars under their discretion that the State was providing for the company to locate here"

Gov. Ducey stated the state's economy is doing "just fine" without Nike and added Arizona doesn't need to "suck up to companies that that consciously denigrate our nation’s history."

"And finally, it shouldn’t take a controversy over a shoe for our kids to know who Betsy Ross is. A founding mother. Her story should be taught in all American schools. In the meantime, it’s worth googling her."

This news comes just after the Goodyear City Council unanimously approved the shoemaker's plan to open a multi-dollar manufacturing facility during a meeting on Monday night.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/gov-du...ntent=headline
My one and only pair, about 30 years ago, fell apart in about 3 months. I've never even tried on a pair since then.

They would just infect AZ with their Left Coast propaganda anyway.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:11   #29
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

On the other hand

Converse has many options of red white and blue including many with US flags.

Someone posted a link to a pair a while back and I figured that they would last for every Fourth of July for the rest of my life.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:44   #30
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

If he protests the Betsy Ross shoes based on the logic of the flag being a product of an era of slavery, I wonder about his thoughts on the constitution and the rights he is provided therein...
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote