Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 05-04-2015, 15:19   #1
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

37th Anniversary of the Battle of Cassinga

South African Paratroopers celebrate Cassinga Day today. In 1978 a small force of 367 paratroopers dropped directly onto a fortified enemy camp containing more than 3000 enemy.The fortress was 200 miles behind enemy lines. After a full days battle the enemy surrendered having lost about 1000 of their soldiers. The SA Paratroopers suffered the loss of 4, one of whom was MIA presumed drowned or taken by a crocodile in the river bordering the camp. At the close of the battle, an armored column of 20 Cuban tanks and APCs arrived to attempt to save their comrades. This column was destroyed by the combined efforts of a small minefield the paratroopers had laid for just such an eventuality, air support from two mirages and a Buccanner aircraft and RPG and LMG fire by the anti-tank platoon of paratroopers. Cuba suffered its biggest single day loss during their Angolan adventure.
For the Cassinga Paratroopers
May the Fourth be with you.

Parabats,
Monday 4 May is the 37th Anniversary of the Battle of Cassinga. As customary, the nearest Sunday to that date, this year, Sunday the 3rd May (this coming Sunday) a commemorative parade will be held at the Johannesburg War Museum. Guests are asked to arrive at 9-30am for the 10am start of proceedings. This year, we are lucky to have as our guest speaker, Dave Barr, the world famous motorcyclist who is also a Parabat and a double amputee. Dave, an American volunteer, was injured when a landline detonated under the rear wheel of Colonel Breytenbach's jeep on which Dave was the machine gunner. His life was saved by Colonel Breytenbach, who, at considerable risk to himself, and despite personal injuries from the blast, went back into the inferno of burning fuel and exploding ammunition to pull Dave out.
Dave lost both legs and after recovering, embarked on a round the world trip, alone, on his Harley Davidson. This trip was to raise funds for others who had been injured like he had been, but were without the means to liberate themselves.
For as second year, Dave has returned to his adopted country, South Africa, to ride around the country again raising funds for those who can't help themselves. He is a fitting speaker at the Cassinga Day Memorial Parade for South African Paratroopers who have died in and out of service over the years.
Every Parabat in the Gauteng area should make the effort to come and listen to Dave and bring a small monetary donation to help his cause. His books will also be on sale and a signed copy is something for any South African to treasure.

Last edited by Guymullins; 05-04-2015 at 15:24.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:41   #2
RomanCandle
Guerrilla

It was a good day Mike. Look forward to the next one, and a few more meets in between.
RomanCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:06   #3
glebo
Quiet Professional

Wow, great job guys.

I guess that's what "surprise, speed, and violence of action" will get ya...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57   #4
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

I have great respect for the Selous Scouts and was interested in them, and of course the Parabats, after first hearing about them a few years ago. I found some interesting background stories in John Cronin's, The Bleed. If anyone could offer any more books or readings regarding the bush wars, then please reply or PM me.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:11   #5
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
I have great respect for the Selous Scouts and was interested in them, and of course the Parabats, after first hearing about them a few years ago. I found some interesting background stories in John Cronin's, The Bleed. If anyone could offer any more books or readings regarding the bush wars, then please reply or PM me.
There are HEAPS of good ones.

And fortunately, some are available in Ebook format for reasonable prices…..whereas before you had to have them shipped out of Africa, or pay extortionist prices for the limited copies that made it into the west.

I'm sure Guymullins will be along with some good suggestions.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:28   #6
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
There are HEAPS of good ones.

And fortunately, some are available in Ebook format for reasonable prices…..whereas before you had to have them shipped out of Africa, or pay extortionist prices for the limited copies that made it into the west.

I'm sure Guymullins will be along with some good suggestions.
Some good reading on the Southern African Bush War. Rh=Rhodesia and SA= South Africans in Namibia and Angola.

My OC and the father of three units ( Recce, 32 Bn and 44 Para Brigade) in the SADF, Col. Jan Breytenbach has written a few good books. Eagle Strike is a very comprehensive book on the battle of Cassinga where he was OC the attacking paratroopers.(SA)

Buffalo Soldiers is about the beginnings of the first multiracial outfit that combined ex-enemy guerrillas and other black fighters from Angola under the command of white South Africans. 32 Bn operated from behind enemy lines for most of its existence and was the most feared force among the enemy as it was made up of soldiers who had been fighting continuously for up to 20 years.(SA)

The Tempered Sword, is a more complete account of 32Bn published recently.(SA)

Counter-strike from the sky, written by JRT Wood is an excellent book about the birth of the Fire-force concept where small Alluette helicopters together with Dakota para aircraft combine to make a powerful killing machine. The chain of action from the Selous Scouts detecting the enemy through to the attack by K-Car (cannon-bearing helicopter) and G-Cars carrying small sticks of troops into the attack chasing the enemy into the arms of the para-dropped RLI stopper groups was a constantly evolving skill. The Rhodesian had to make do with minimal equipment and manpower because of international sanctions. A good read for anyone wanting the details of how to run a successful counter-insurgency operation.(RH)

Executive Outcomes, by Eben Barlow tells the story of the first private security contracting company in Africa. EO accomplished great things in Angola and Sierra Leone where conventional forces became bogged down and outfoxed by a savage enemy. Many of the soldiers in EO were ex-32Bn and ex-Recce and Parabats.(SA)

Ron Reid Daly, the founder of the Selous Scouts wrote Pamwe Chete, the book on the unit. The Scouts used turned terrorists working with white Scouts to form pseudo groups that pretended to be terrorist insurgents. This enabled them to get information about other terror groups entering the country and either eliminate them themselves, or call in Fire Force to do so. A very good book about an unconventional leader who thought outside the box.(Rh)

The Selous Scouts by Peter Stiff is also a good compendium of many of the SC operations.(Rh)

Then of course, there is my own book, The Battle for Cassinga by Mike McWilliams. This book is a shorter account of the battle filled with the photographs I took at the battle.(SA)

19 With a Bullet was written by a friend who now lives in California called Granger Korff. It is the story of the operational career of a typical Parabat. Granger became a very good professional boxer who after the army went to America to live. A good book to get the feel of the South African armies iron fist, its Paratroopers.(SA)
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:21   #7
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Thank you, I look forward to reading up on these! Best wishes to you all.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote