Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 02-05-2013, 14:10   #1
Reynaldo Castro
Asset

SF Vets that served with F.A.N.K 1972

My name is Reynaldo Castro graduated SGT from USAIMA NCO Candidate Course at Ft. Bragg on 27 May 1971. Was sent to Vietnam in Jan 1972, primarily as an instructor to Forces Army National Khmer (F.A.N.K). That was my only crowning achievement in SF. Would like to make contact with SGT Benjamin Morales, Capt. Michael D. Munroe, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battalion.
If anyone would like to learn more about F.A.N.K. Here is a link to a Historical Study of our mission. Written by then LTC Kenneth R. Bowra. I understand he retired Major General in '05 . Here is that link to that study:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA233669
Reynaldo Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 14:50   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo Castro View Post
My name is Reynaldo Castro graduated SGT from USAIMA NCO Candidate Course at Ft. Bragg on 27 May 1971. Was sent to Vietnam in Jan 1972, primarily as an instructor to Forces Army National Khmer (F.A.N.K). That was my only crowning achievement in SF. Would like to make contact with SGT Benjamin Morales, Capt. Michael D. Munroe, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battalion.
If anyone would like to learn more about F.A.N.K. Here is a link to a Historical Study of our mission. Written by then LTC Kenneth R. Bowra. I understand he retired Major General in '05 . Here is that link to that study:
Reynaldo- My screen name is the same as my call sign when I was at B36/USARVITG in '71 (A362). I was a medic at the camp. Tom Rowe was also there and later so was George Miller Knew Ken Bowra when he was the Phouc Tuy camp commander. I posted Bowra's discussion of the FID mission we had in another thread. Great read.

Been looking for SGM Johnny Miller too. Heard he was a preacher in TN. Connected with another Brother there at the same time. He was SGM Hillmann's right hand guy. Were you there when Hillmann shot himself in the foot? I think I remember you, but not sure.

I have been corresponding with some of the higher command for the USARVITG and FANK support programs. Very interesting shit!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some pics and we can discuss all of this.

Great to hear from you. Welcome!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00   #3
Reynaldo Castro
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Reynaldo- My screen name is the same as my call sign when I was at B36/USARVITG in '71 (A362). I was a medic at the camp. Tom Rowe was also there and later so was George Miller Knew Ken Bowra when he was the Phouc Tuy camp commander. I posted Bowra's discussion of the FID mission we had in another thread. Great read.

Been looking for SGM Johnny Miller too. Heard he was a preacher in TN. Connected with another Brother there at the same time. He was SGM Hillmann's right hand guy. Were you there when Hillmann shot himself in the foot? I think I remember you, but not sure.

I have been corresponding with some of the higher command for the USARVITG and FANK support programs. Very interesting shit!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some pics and we can discuss all of this.

Great to hear from you. Welcome!
May contact with SGT Benjamin Morales yesterday (Tuesday, August 12, 2014). He retired MSG from the 7th SFG. Also made contact with Vila Chau, he was a Cambodian Interpreter from Camp Phouc Tuy. Vila is now an American Citizen. Yesterday was a long and wild roller coaster ride.
Reynaldo Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:31   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Welcome to the Site.

Please Re Read your e-mail you recieved and Post an Intro as ALL are required before posting in threads....... Looking forward to future interaction and debate......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 15:02   #5
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Hey Castro,

I trained with you at Ft Bragg and Ft Huachuca. I remember Ben Morales as a real good guy but I haven't had any contact with him since Ft Bragg...if memory serves.

Hope you are doin' well and mother nature has treated you gently over the last 40 somethin' years. Some of us have grown bald and fat due to all the soft living, lol.

Most of my days, of late, are spent in my basement workshop making furniture for my kids and toys for the grandkids. It keeps me out of the bars so the MMFIC (wife) stays happy and off my back, lol.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 01-04-2014 at 21:52.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Youse guys will enjoy these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transport Team '71.jpg (42.0 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Dolby, Gorman, et al..jpg (39.1 KB, 473 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf USARVITG circa Jan 72.pdf (489.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-12-2014, 12:38   #7
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Trapper John,

My first job with B 36 was at a place called Xyuen Moc until we were thrown out of there. When we arrived at Long Hai I was assigned to A362 commanded by Cpt Tedrick. Later, I went to a mobile training team just before Long Hai was closed.

One of your pictures looks like it was taken at Vung Tau.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:26   #8
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

This has been an interesting week! I heard from 2 of my A362 team mates and was given an update on a couple of others. First the bad news, the team sgt "Sweetback" was killed in an car accident after attending O&I school at FT. Huachuca but I wasn't given a time frame or location of the accident. The team CO "Flintstone", had passed away a few years ago from cancer. The good news is that I spoke to "Spitfire", the other team 11B, on the phone for 40 or so minutes last Tuesday. He has certainly had a very exciting life and he is planning a trip back to Long Hai in the spring. On Thursday, I received an e-mail from "Trashcan" our team medic. He only sent a few lines but at least I know he's still sucking air.

I had never realized how mundane my military career turn out until talking to these guys.
Old 10-10-2014, 16:47   #9
MichaelDMunro
Asset

Michael D Munro here email house606@gmail.com

Quote:
Michael D Munro here email house606@gmail.com
MichaelDMunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51   #10
jackiehlu
Asset

Chinese Nung served with F.A.N.K. and MACSOG 36 A

My name is Jackie Hong Lu With B-36 " 362 , 361 " during 1971 - 1973 Feb. would like to make contact with MTT - ST1 . 13 members while we was in Hue - Phu Bai - La Son, From Mar 23rd 1972 to Aug. 18th 1972 . and Jonny K. Berry, SFG, E7 with MACSOG 36A, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battation .......

Last edited by jackiehlu; 11-21-2014 at 18:24.
jackiehlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 15:33   #11
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Anyone Recognize this Medic

Can anyone put a name to the guy in this pic. He was a medic in camp about the same time I was. CRS is acting up and I can't put a name to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10850418_920294674662228_927950888_n.jpg (45.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47   #12
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

I can't be sure but it looks like R. Howson.
Old 04-03-2015, 20:42   #13
Doc Russell
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Can anyone put a name to the guy in this pic. He was a medic in camp about the same time I was. CRS is acting up and I can't put a name to him.
The medic looks like a second tour medic SSG Robert Ryan. His first tour was with the 101st. Ryan was a leg and worked in the dispensary. As far as Joe Nelson's guess that it being Rick Howson; Rick hair was alot lighter and thinner on top.

The Vietnamese in the photo looks like the guy who worked in the lab in the dispensary.
Doc Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43   #14
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the clarification Doc. Obviously he is not who I was thinking. I do not recall any non-SF medics in '71. In fact other than Tom Rowe and George Miller I don't think there were any other medics early on. A362 was a split team then too and we all had double responsibilities. Beside being the medic with responsibility for a BN of 'bodes I was acting as the light weapons Sergeant and CO adviser for a 'bode company. Busy times! By the time I left (Feb '72) new faces were pouring into camp as the program was growing rapidly.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52   #15
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehlu View Post
My name is Jackie Hong Lu With B-36 " 362 , 361 " during 1971 - 1973 Feb. would like to make contact with MTT - ST1 . 13 members while we was in Hue - Phu Bai - La Son, From Mar 23rd 1972 to Aug. 18th 1972 . and Jonny K. Berry, SFG, E7 with MACSOG 36A, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battation .......
Jackie, send me a PM with a pic. I was A362 medic in '71. Do you recall a Cambodian nurse (Kim Simone). She worked the hospital (North Compound). What about Kim Kin ("dirty old man") he was my interpreter and radio operator when we went on field ops?

Last edited by Trapper John; 04-04-2015 at 07:55.
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote