Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 10-03-2011, 08:46   #31
hadjiholdblue
Asset

Fresh out of the schoolhouse here,

Last word was that it was indeed true. You can apply your time at the JSOMTC to a college and receive credits, aroundish 90something. Get in touch with the education at Bragg and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Rumor of those same hours being applied for a BS also. You have to take a few classes online thru the same college and you'll receive a BS in Emergency Medical something. I keep using the "something" because, as I said, this is rumor.

Call the education center at Bragg.
hadjiholdblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 18:14   #32
FloridaMike
SF Candidate

AA degree for all SFQC grads

Last out brief for class 01-12 on Oct 21, 2011 was from the Director of Education at SWCS and the word was this: ALL SFQC grads will be receiving an AA degree. This includes all MOS's. The Q will be worth 48 credits and you will take the other 17 credits to total 65 credits. 18D will have a slightly different degree discipline (obviously) but other than that, it is mandatory to take those extra 17 credits and get your AA. So if you're in the chute for the Q, I'd use my time wisely and knock em out.

Mike Out

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise, and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." Prov 17:28
FloridaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 18:15   #33
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMike View Post
Last out brief for class 01-12 on Oct 21, 2011 was from the Director of Education at SWCS and the word was this: ALL SFQC grads will be receiving an AA degree. This includes all MOS's. The Q will be worth 48 credits and you will take the other 17 credits to total 65 credits. 18D will have a slightly different degree discipline (obviously) but other than that, it is mandatory to take those extra 17 credits and get your AA. So if you're in the chute for the Q, I'd use my time wisely and knock em out.

Mike Out
Oh that's got to be BullS**T, you mean to tell me the 18B's are really going to get an AA?
Old 10-27-2011, 18:19   #34
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Oh that's got to be BullS**T, you mean to tell me the 18B's are really going to get an AA?
HAY They have to count how many rounds they load into their MAG's
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 18:26   #35
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
HAY They have to count how many rounds they load into their MAG's
You and I both know they don't count, they just keep putting them in until they won't go......
Old 10-27-2011, 18:52   #36
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMike View Post

Mike Out
I wonder if that goes for FORMER graduates as well?

Would be an interesting (and positive) thing if there was a bridge program of sorts.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 19:13   #37
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
Most of the guys I know who tried to eek by are now studying hard in the class behind me

I've noticed something at JSOMTC though.. Whatever class youre in the class behind you is a bunch of shitbags
That has nothing to do with JSOMTC...that is just the way it is.....similar inscriptions on the Pyramids in Egypt about the Aholes that built the little earth mounds....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 19:32   #38
mojaveman
Area Commander

Phase II 18B should be worth at least a few credits towards a vocational education in gunsmithing.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 23:29   #39
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Army PA School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Crip-
It's great to hear you guys will be getting Assoc. Degrees - we received a transcript from the Baylor Medical School when I went through, for about 38 credits, and when I got out - nobody would accepot them. Their excuse - these are for some kind of army 'first aid classes' even though the names were Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Patient Care, etc. It makes me happy to know that you guys are getting the recognition you deserve for being the best non-doctor medical professionals out there. So, when do you graduate again? With all the time you spent in the course, maybe you deserve a Bachelor's...... (c'mon, you knew it was coming, at least you got a compliment first)
I recall in early 75 about March a very solid A team CO was on the RIF chopping block. He was a fine soldier who had taken his team to Europe and won every SF event/training they did. So he was no longer a CPT, but; he went to the Army's PA school. I doubt he has lost much sleep in the private world over that decision.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32   #40
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Cool

June 17, 2011
Military.com|by Christian Lowe

FORT BRAGG, N.C. --- Special Forces Soldiers are some of the smartest, most highly-trained servicemembers in the U.S. military. The elite troops spend years not only learning the lethal art of warfare, but also honing their skills as diplomats, linguists, and cultural experts.
But despite all their training, many are left with few options for employment when it’s time to leave the service.
Recognizing the marketable skills learned in their Special Forces careers, the Army’s Special Warfare Center here has developed a program to apply more of their skills toward a bachelor’s degree.
“The Special Forces Soldier is incredibly well trained, but he’s ‘undereducated,’ ” said Lt. Col. David Walton, the head of regional studies and education at the SWC. “That’s not because he doesn’t want to be. It’s because he’s so busy training and deploying that he doesn’t have time.”
So Walton solicited civilian academia to find programs that could better leverage a special operator’s experience toward college-level credit.
Imagine using a basic land navigation qualification to validate Geography 110 at an undergraduate institution, Walton offered.
Through a rigorous evaluation program conducted by a local community college, SWC officials were able to correlate several of their core training courses with up to 48 credit hours of college-level coursework. If a Soldier wants to enroll in the degree program, he has to take another 17 credit hours of courses through Fayetteville Technical Community College, including English composition, math, and professional research.
Once they’ve completed the community college hours, SF Soldiers receive an associate’s degree and can use that credential to enroll in a North Carolina state college degree program as a junior.
For its part, the Army wanted to get a return on its investment by requiring Soldiers take courses for college credit that help them as Green Berets.
During missions, SF team members often have to brief officers and staff on operations, but the SWC doesn’t offer a course that teaches public speaking, for example. So Walton made it a requirement for the associate’s degree program.
“Here’s a classic way that an education for college students can help you be a better special operator,” Walton said.
The program is also open to Green Berets returning to the schoolhouse between deployments, or even civilian contractors at the school who are SF alums.
“I knew a college degree would be important once I retired and even while I’m still in for promotions,” said Sgt. 1st Class Mike Gruver, a communications NCO and Special Forces operator who’s studying for a degree in applied physics. “This is really the first time I’ve ever had an opportunity realistically to get a college degree instead of just floundering.”
While it might not seem like much of a rest after years of deployments and high-level warfare schools, Gruver said the schedule is focused on helping Soldiers knock out the associate’s degree requirements in less than three months.
“It was very time consuming. … It was a bit of an adjustment for my family,” Gruver said. “But it was no worse than being back on a team.”
And with as much as two years towards a bachelor’s degree completed well before retirement, the program is worth all the extra time and effort.
Some operators “can go from having no college degree at all to within a very short time having their bachelor’s degree,” Gruver said. “And all they have to do is go through this program to get that degree to tie it all in.”

http://www.military.com/news/article...ge-degree.html
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 17:47   #41
whocares175
Quiet Professional

that associates program was a pilot program when i was there. not sure about the how it's being integrated now. as for 18D's, i'm been looking for a degree program for 18D's and have found a few ok ones. Western Carolina Univ will give 56 credit hours towards a bachelors of emergency management for D's. SOCM grad's get 4 credit hours. the problem is while the credits will count towards a degree, if you're looking to do the PA program they dont count as PA School doesn't recognize credits for awarded for MOS. when i talked to campbell they said i'd get 26 credit hours towards a bachelor degree. i didnt even listen to anything else they said. Pikes Peak community college will award 45 credits towards an Associates. haven't checked American Military Univ yet though. another issue i've found is that none of the colleges will award you credits until you complete 6 credit hours with them. even CLEP testing.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th
whocares175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 18:00   #42
pjbluetogreen
SF Candidate

18D that have NREMT-P

TUI (www.trident.edu) and Excelsior College (www.excelsior.edu) both have bride programs for guys that have their NREMT-P.
TUI has a BA in Emergency management that is all on line taking about 8-10 classes depending on your prereqs. (english, math etc.)
Excelsior has an RN-AS degree that again is only about 8-10 classes depending on your education back round. The RN program is a CLEP and DANTES based program that can be done at most bases or posts around the world. The only issue I have seen is being able to pay for the State Board tests in order to graduate.

I hope that this info helps some guys further their education. Good luck and God Bless.

CL
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26   #43
Br0k3r
SF Candidate

New Door Opening

Here is some current information that was put out in the school house recently. Thought I might pass it on for others not currently in house.

http://www.northcarolinahealthnews.o...practitioners/
Br0k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 18:18   #44
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0k3r View Post
Here is some current information that was put out in the school house recently. Thought I might pass it on for others not currently in house.

http://www.northcarolinahealthnews.o...practitioners/
You must be referring to THIS THREAD that already has 21 posts...in this same forum.

I sure hope you are paying better attention "at the schoolhouse" than you are here.

Search button, read more, post less.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote