Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-04-2011, 00:20   #1
Animal8526
Auxiliary

Drop leg solutions for G34...

I figured I'd get feedback here if there's any to be had...

I'm looking for a drop leg holster solution for a G34, ideally with a weapon light mounted.

This looks interesting, and I've had good results with other bladetech gear, but I'd like to hear some real world feedback if it exists before dropping some hard earned green...

http://www.blade-tech.com/RH-WRS-THI...r-pr-1155.html

Otherwise the Safariland 6004 seems just about industry standard, though I did like the two leg straps on the Blackhawk serpa drop leg I had. There seems to be some negative bias floating around on the blackhawks amongst those with real world use though.

Unfortunately, it seems that if I had just gone with a g17 this wouldn't be an issue, but I got a great deal on a used 34 and it already had parts I would have put on a 17 (ext slide/mag release and 3.5lb connector). But not everyone makes a holster for the 34, and though many G17 holsters will work just fine, not many manufacturers list that they have open muzzle holsters for use with the larger guns.

I'm not dead set on having the light mounted, but the weight difference is negligible and if I can I don't see a reason not to. Though my room clearing time is nil, so if there's more thought process behind why not to run a sidearm with light mounted I'd like to hear it.

Thanks guys.

T
Animal8526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48   #2
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

I have a Blackhawk Omega VI universal fit for my G34. I was going to use a laser or light and then decided against it. The gun fits a little loose without a light but not badly loose. I suspect with a light it would be really fine. This is a heavy piece of equipment so if weight is an issue you might want to consider kydex. And with a thumb break strap it is not real speedy, but is nice and secure.

You can go here and read the reviews. I don't do any room clearing unless it is with a Hoover. My concern is when wandering around in the woods and crawling through brush that the gun and magazines not fall out and get lost. I got an extra mag pouch and they hold the mags in real well.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...t-holster.html

I have a Side Armor belt holster that I use for competition. Its nice for that.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45   #3
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
There seems to be some negative bias floating around on the blackhawks amongst those with real world use though.
I read one of TR's posts stating how the blackhawk serpa's release mechanism can become fouled by grime and debris. I have a couple serpa's, and as usual, TR called it right (no suprise there.) The serpa's are now retired.

Have no experience with the Omega.

Last edited by Barbarian; 07-08-2011 at 06:46.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 13:01   #4
Animal8526
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I read one of TR's posts stating how the blackhawk serpa's release mechanism can become fouled by grime and debris. I have a couple serpa's, and as usual, TR called it right (no suprise there.)

Have no experience with the Omega.
That's what I've heard about the blackhawks. That singular issue has me concerned about going back to the serpa drop leg, but man is the one I had comfortable and fast.

I've got similar concerns about the bladetech I linked above.

Has anyone had any luck rigging up a raven concealment rig to some type of dropleg platform?
Old 07-07-2011, 18:51   #5
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

Do not, I say again, do not use serpa's. They are trash. Perfect example of why not to carry one (this guy is a idiot anyway so it takes away from my point but, you get the picture.)

http://www dot youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE&feature=channel_video_title

This was posted up on a bunch of mil forums within the last few days. Try safariland if bladetech doesn't work for you. Both make great holsters. Also another place to look is raven concealment.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25   #6
Air.177
Quiet Professional

You may also try the Bladetech Dropped/Offset holsters or a modified Safariland. I have used both in the past and have found them to be both comfortable and secure but then again, I remove the top strap of the safarilands and shorten the strap that attaches to the belt, making it right very high on the thigh which may not be compatible with some armor configurations or duty belts.

Good luck.

Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 20:36   #7
Animal8526
Auxiliary

Bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380336149019

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the "hood guard" is removable?
Old 07-10-2011, 21:31   #8
koz
Quiet Professional

Yes they're removable.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 21:41   #9
Animal8526
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
Yes they're removable.
rgr. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20   #10
griper23
Asset

ive got a Safariland 6004 for a 34 with m3 i ill sell you for $50. im in NH.
griper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:55   #11
Animal8526
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by griper23 View Post
ive got a Safariland 6004 for a 34 with m3 i ill sell you for $50. im in NH.

Damn... that would have been good to know a few days ago.

I'd still like to meet up and look at it if the 6005 doesn't end up working out for me.
Old 07-14-2011, 15:28   #12
gits
Quiet Professional

Take a look at the Safariland ALS holsters. They are top notch and easy to use and the release mechanism is very good and quick compared to the 6004 series.
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 16:52   #13
weberk
Quiet Professional

I have been using Blade-tech holsters for all of my tactical needs since around 1998 or 99. I prefer them to almost any other make because of their simplicity and their reliability (when using a simple thumb-break). As opposed to other retention devices, if the thumb-break fails, you can get the pistol out of the holster. With Safariland ALS, Blackhawk Serpa, and many others; if the system fails the pistol is locked in the holster.

As an example, we started having problems with locking systems failing in SFARTAETC almost as soon as people started using them. The result was you had to cut the strap to get the pistol out. Amusing in a school setting, less so in others. Same thing with the Serpa holsters, first day I ever saw one at the range, a piece of gravel got stuck in the holster and locked a pistol in.

As a long time Asia guy I also do not like any holster with a nylon, cloth or leather lining. They tend to hold moisture against the gun longer than a plain kydex holster, which is not good for the gun. Also any debris that gets inside tends to get stuck and wear down the finish of the gun.

My .02, YMMV

KWeber
weberk is offline   Reply With Quote