Old 10-22-2016, 21:06   #46
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
And the Cubbies are IN

Tribe vs Cubs

Here we go
The Tribe are one of the more fitting clubs for the Cubbies to go up against. (I mean if you love baseball & don't get a kick out of Major League you have no soul.)

Well done. Bryant summed it up when asked by one of the talking heads (who can't seem to let it go) how they feel about the curse: "We're too young, we don't delve into that stuff."

Cubs will have to stay focused as they were tonight; Tribe has sufficient rest that the world is their oyster in terms of options. Fortunately we won't have to alter the rotation either - and we have a bench that can play that [silly] 10th guy when they're at Cleveland.

HOLY COW!

Laundry tomorrow for the lucky shirt so it's ready. (Yeah, really...)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 21:33   #47
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
The Tribe are one of the more fitting clubs for the Cubbies to go up against. (I mean if you love baseball & don't get a kick out of Major League you have no soul.)

Well done. Bryant summed it up when asked by one of the talking heads (who can't seem to let it go) how they feel about the curse: "We're too young, we don't delve into that stuff."

Cubs will have to stay focused as they were tonight; Tribe has sufficient rest that the world is their oyster in terms of options. Fortunately we won't have to alter the rotation either - and we have a bench that can play that [silly] 10th guy when they're at Cleveland.

HOLY COW!

Laundry tomorrow for the lucky shirt so it's ready. (Yeah, really...)

This is going to be awesome. If you are truly a baseball fan you have GOT to love this match up for what it is.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:39   #48
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
This is going to be awesome. If you are truly a baseball fan you have GOT to love this match up for what it is.
That is so true.

In a way, I was kinda hoping that it would be a Cubs v. Boston series.
The history of the two clubs in two venerable old ball parks and two GREAT players retiring from each club this year.

That would have been one hell of a series, if you truly do love baseball.

But, I'm liking this match up just as well.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35   #49
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Looking forward to this series, none of the silly talk about long flights and time zone changes. Going to have to pull for the Cubbies, although won't be surprised if they find some way to blow it.

I'm truly a baseball fan...until the players start kneeling during the National Anthem.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 14:03   #50
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Looking forward to this series, none of the silly talk about long flights and time zone changes. Going to have to pull for the Cubbies, although won't be surprised if they find some way to blow it.
If one loves the game I think they will enjoy this one. I have learned over many decades that it ain't over till it's over - it's baseball. Anything can happen... or as my wife said to the Cubs via yelling at the TV some years back when they were doing well (yet lost to the Phillies), "Hey dummies! The enemy gets a vote!"
(Reckon she listens more than I thought...)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 10-26-2016, 04:18   #51
Badger52
Area Commander

Well, Game 1 sucked (except for Cleveland fans). Wow, that guy of theirs Kluber has some wild breaking stuff. Have to also give their bats credit; they are scratching & clawing throughout the game too & it paid off.

On to Game 2 tonight.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:19   #52
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Interesting to see Kluber step up. I don't believe that was expected in an "Ace - vs - Ace" matchup. I was thinking it would be a small ball grind by both squads. Kluber was filthy. Miller loading them up created some great drama late in the game.

Game two and weather on the way into Cleveland. Hope they get it off without delays, etc. Both manager's came off the night very positive.

James Madison
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01   #53
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Interesting to see Kluber step up. I don't believe that was expected in an "Ace - vs - Ace" matchup. I was thinking it would be a small ball grind by both squads. Kluber was filthy. Miller loading them up created some great drama late in the game.

Game two and weather on the way into Cleveland. Hope they get it off without delays, etc. Both manager's came off the night very positive.
Yeah, he was nasty. Quite often there's, even from a good pitcher, that 1 pitch during an at-bat where you either swing for the fence or wish you did; but won't see it again during that AB. He took no prisoners; many AB's there was never anything hittable. Monster stuff. Plus, Rick Sutcliffe's prediction back in May that this krap of Lester not throwing to 1st "will not stand up in the post-season." Not definitive of the game as a whole but that 1st inning was a momentum swinger for sure. Indians finally closed the deal on what the Dodgers had mulled around during the LCS.

Was delighted to see Schwarber back for the Cubs & in a good role for him as DH & that he hasn't lost his drive. 15 of their outs, though, were K's. Can't have that.

Enjoy all!

1800 Central tonight - as you say, hopefully get it in before the weather. Shouldn't have to play baseball in polypro, with Herman Nelson's fired up in the dugout.

Old 10-26-2016, 21:31   #54
Badger52
Area Commander

Series tied!

CHC 5, CLE 1. Good game, neither side let up really but our starter had passable stuff that at least he could battle with (and his bar is pretty high). Great defense and contributions up & down the lineup. The overall Cubs game plan was in more familiar shape tonight.

On to Wrigley Field - where pitchers have to bat.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:38   #55
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

"He who scores first...." Apparently

Arrieta looked a little shaky out of the gate, but Cleveland failed to capitalize and then he locked things down (minus the wild pitch).

On to Chicago

James Madison
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18   #56
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
"He who scores first...." Apparently

Arrieta looked a little shaky out of the gate, but Cleveland failed to capitalize and then he locked things down (minus the wild pitch).

On to Chicago
Concur about Arrieta; he's one of those who demands alot of himself, but he's lost the mechanics of one of his pitches that is nasty that he had last year. Almost like a mojo you can't quite grasp; been working on it most of the year, still ain't there apparently. Probably installs a little niggling doubt that sits there. At least he battled out of it. Should continue to be a great series.

Cleveland players, lest you need reminding (albeit most of it is receding for the fall):
It's not an ivy wall out there; that's brick, it hurts when you hit it.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:18   #57
dm999607
Asset

No representation from the "center of the sports world" right now it seems. Go Tribe!

Unfortunately haven't been able to watch the games but have been keeping up with game recaps. Hell of a series shaping up!

Dave
dm999607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:40   #58
Badger52
Area Commander

While it will still be cool, the wind is forecast to facilitate the launching of rawhide projectiles onto Waveland & Sheffield Avenues.

Old 10-28-2016, 21:54   #59
Badger52
Area Commander

CLE takes lead 2 games to 1

Quote:
While it will still be cool, the wind is forecast to facilitate the launching of rawhide projectiles onto Waveland & Sheffield Avenues.
So much for that idea... looked like chess-with-pitchers, the Indians managing to scratch harder than the Cubs for a 1-0 win.

Our 4th in the rotation tomorrow against the Indians' ace on (slightly) short rest.

Tough series.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:17   #60
dm999607
Asset

Quote:
So much for that idea... looked like chess-with-pitchers, the Indians managing to scratch harder than the Cubs for a 1-0 win.

Our 4th in the rotation tomorrow against the Indians' ace on (slightly) short rest.

Tough series.
Kluber didn't do too well in the last series on a Game 1/4 rotation. I would like to see Francona insert Merritt or Salazar in this one with the series lead and it going back to Cleveland either way. Let Kluber bring home Game 5. Especially with Miller only having to throw 17 pitches last night, he will be ready for extended work if necessary tonight.

Tito has taken them this far, who am I to question his decisions!
dm999607 is offline   Reply With Quote