Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 11-07-2016, 18:56   #106
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
That was extremely cool when it popped up on the tube!
Always enjoyed his broadcasts because he never played the company-man team propaganda machine (Brewers, are you listening?). If they were playing in the krapper you knew it from his mic.

He was awesome!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32   #107
Badger52
Area Commander

Some accolades from the Scribes

First, a very well-deserved congratulations to Terry Francona for being named the AL Manager of the Year. With the regular season the thing that counts for the award he still did a phenomenal job (in my objective opinion) managing the Indians to a position where they could take the Cubs to one of the most memorable 7-game nailbiting, TV-smashing, World Series ever.

Joe Maddon of the Cubs finished 2nd in balloting to Dave Roberts of the Dodgers, who probably had his hands full just dealing with the yo-yo status of Clayton Kershaw.

Also, Cubs Jason Heyward (RF) and Anthony Rizzo (1B) were both up for the Wilson Defensive Player of the Year award, which went to Rizz. I guess you have to climb a wall TWICE to get an out, not just once like Heyward. Rizz also spent alot of time keeping the rest of the infield's error-rate down.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 13:32   #108
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
First, a very well-deserved congratulations to Terry Francona for being named the AL Manager of the Year.
I was very happy to see Francona win the honor. He's a class act and did manage to make an injury-riddled club perform through a long season and well into the playoffs. Club depth finally got to them.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 14:06   #109
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Cub depth finally got to them.
Fixed it.

I continue to reflect on what a fine game they gave each time. Truly a championship worthy of the name. In dogfight parlance, that thing was a hairball. Baseball! Get dirty!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 11-16-2016, 01:20   #110
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Fixed it.

I continue to reflect on what a fine game they gave each time. Truly a championship worthy of the name. In dogfight parlance, that thing was a hairball. Baseball! Get dirty!
HAH! The other side of the same coin... Yup

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 00:25   #111
Badger52
Area Commander

And finishing up (before the rifle deer-opener) with congrats to Cubs 3rd baseman Kris Bryant for becoming the 4th person to ever get Rookie of the Year followed up with the League MVP (awarded yesterday). Cubs' Ben Zobrist was the Series MVP; infield or outfield, the guy Joe Maddon calls "my Swiss Army knife."

Lots of team would like to catch in a bottle what the Indians & Cubs had this year.
Now, off to the woods.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:41   #112
tonyz
Area Commander

Uh, oh...

Russia may have hacked the Indians...

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 13:40   #113
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

At least you didn't hear the Indians asking to replay the World Series.
Have Cleveland fans callled for a recount or saying the end is neigh?
Some things still retain dignity.
Old 12-15-2016, 14:13   #114
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacOfficer View Post
At least you didn't hear the Indians asking to replay the World Series.
Have Cleveland fans callled for a recount or saying the end is neigh?
Some things still retain dignity.
Amen.

But you know, Putin himself actually invented baseball...apple pie and Chevrolet...I read it in the NYTs...or was that on MSNBC...or was that from Josh Ernest...

Roll on January 20 !

Pitchers and catchers report mid-February !!!!

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:21   #115
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Not so fast with the spring training,
The Blackhawks are doing great and I'm enjoying it

The CUBS and Blackhawks are about the only redeeming qualities of this city

Old 12-16-2016, 12:28   #116
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Roll on January 20 !

Pitchers and catchers report mid-February !!!!
Sad to see one of their workhorse pitchers go via free-agency (Travis Wood) but his season was the best resume a guy can build. With a couple others picked up already & Schwarber healthy & lookin' good for the lead-off spot it'll be fun. If I was doin' that bourgeois snowbird thing I'd have a nice warm grassy spot on the hill picked out in Mesa.

I guess Chapman turned out to be not so tainted after all, since the Yankees signed him back to a huge$$$deal. All it really took was a team approach with a sense of family, he worked through his difficulties, knew where the lines were drawn, and delivered.

Ahh well, time to shove the driveway.