Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 03-19-2005, 17:04   #1
gwb
Asset

18D college credit

I read about an 18D who, after his completion of the "Q" course, had military training that accounted for 82 hours of civilian college credit. This has a certain relevance to my situation so I am curious if this could be accurate. (ballpark) Thanks.
gwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 18:46   #2
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb
I read about an 18D who, after his completion of the "Q" course, had military training that accounted for 82 hours of civilian college credit. This has a certain relevance to my situation so I am curious if this could be accurate. (ballpark) Thanks.
You need to introduce yourself (In the Introduction Thread up top) and type in more information on your profile before we sit down and talk about what's in it for you.

Be a nice guest and we'll do what we can for you.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 18:57   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like his initials, though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 19:02   #4
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I like his initials, though.

TR
Sir,

You have a point. What are the odds......naw

lol
Old 03-20-2005, 07:21   #5
Doc
Quiet Professional

Thank you for filling out your profile.

The bulk of college credits you receive after successful completion of the 18D course will be in science. This may not help you a great deal if you are getting a B.A. degree, but might if you are getting a B.S. degree. Your evaluation process also depends on how far you are along in your current college curriculum. You may have already completed A&P at your school for example and don't need a second class in it from the 18D course. Another possible variable is the college you are attending and what they will accept from your military training. There are other courses in the military that can give you college credits too. We have Education Centers on every military base with Counselors ready to assist you. Many of the Counselors are retired military and understand what you are going through.

The final answer is that yes the 18D course awards credits, but you will have to wait and see what courses apply to your particular situation after graduation from the military course and then an education review with a college.

Doc
Old 03-20-2005, 10:36   #6
gwb
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Thank you for filling out your profile.

The bulk of college credits you receive after successful completion of the 18D course will be in science. This may not help you a great deal if you are getting a B.A. degree, but might if you are getting a B.S. degree. Your evaluation process also depends on how far you are along in your current college curriculum. You may have already completed A&P at your school for example and don't need a second class in it from the 18D course. Another possible variable is the college you are attending and what they will accept from your military training. There are other courses in the military that can give you college credits too. We have Education Centers on every military base with Counselors ready to assist you. Many of the Counselors are retired military and understand what you are going through.

The final answer is that yes the 18D course awards credits, but you will have to wait and see what courses apply to your particular situation after graduation from the military course and then an education review with a college.

Doc
I appreciate your response. Thank you.
gwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:47   #7
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb
I appreciate your response. Thank you.
Your welcome.

Hope you enjoy the board.

Doc
Old 04-02-2005, 12:33   #8
Mr. Freeze
Asset

Sir, I have an opinion on this matter...

In no way BTDT as an SF Medic, just to preface this...

After I got out and job prospects didn't pan out, I started school and worked at my college VA office making sure GI Bill/VEAP or dependent benefits for other vets went as smooth as possible.

Anyway, an OKC LEO came in and wanted his AARTS and 214 eval'd for credit. MOS was 91B, late 80's-early 90's service. He wasn't pissed how little he would get, but just like anyone else who put in time, he was disappointed. So he said, "Well, look up 18D." Ignorant of the significance of that, I did. We looked, and they'll still look, up MOS or AFSC or rating in service-specific manuals, or ACE books, that list everything you can get advanced standing (credit) for depending on your military education. While it was significantly greater than 91B, I don't remember it being 84 hours. However, this could have been due to changes in licensure or curriculum. IIRC, it was more like 30. But I do distinctly remember 18D's getting 2 hours for "Emergency Veterinary Medicine", which I figured is an academic way to say "edited, and I better not see these words again.-TR"...

So you can probably access the current edition of the manual at a local college VA office, and see what the most accurate numbers are. Be aware that even if the book says you get 'em, if the school doesn't have a program that fits well, they get lumped in as electives. Which still saves you money, but shorts you because you can't count them all; a lot of programs are going to have upper-division req's for electives, which cost more, so they don't want to let you out of those as easy.

Something I have always wondered about though, does the pipeline show up on a 214? It sounded reasonable enough, but he said his 214 as a 91B essentially ended when he went SF; everything post-qual was kept at the JFK Center. It sounded fishy enough to make me wonder later, but just feasible enough to have been another esoteric aspect of SF.

Pulling back to Lurkerville,
Freeze
Mr. Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:42   #9
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Freeze
Something I have always wondered about though, does the pipeline show up on a 214? It sounded reasonable enough, but he said his 214 as a 91B essentially ended when he went SF; everything post-qual was kept at the JFK Center. It sounded fishy enough to make me wonder later, but just feasible enough to have been another esoteric aspect of SF.
The 214 thing was/is a mystery to me. The only thing on my various 214s that reflects SFQC is my MOS designator, 11C/11B-4S. When I applied for my Yarborough, the secretary had to call the SF Museum and Roxanne, the curator, assured them that it was the same as being an 18B !!
Old 04-02-2005, 20:13   #10
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Freeze

Pulling back to Lurkerville,
Freeze
Wonder no more-dude was lying through his teeth.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 16:40   #11
spdch
SF Candidate

I believe they (SOCM) are actually very close to getting accredited or have recently been accredited as an Associate's Degree program.
Old 04-03-2005, 18:11   #12
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdch
I believe they (SOCM) are actually very close to getting accredited or have recently been accredited as an Associate's Degree program.
Associates degree for what?
They (unfortunately) haven't been able to maintain their ability to provide National Registry EMT - P credentialing. I seriously doubt they would be able to justify a 2 year collegiate degree after only 1 year of schooling. Especially without additional core curricular classes (english / math) added.

On a similar "rumor"-
I actually had a guy here in Hawaii tell me that now 18D's have the option of "Challenging the PA exam on graduation" seeing as how he had TWO close and personal buds, who were recent graduates, that did just that.
The only "problem" was that by challenging the PA exam, they had to forfeit their status as an 18D, and since they both failed, they were re-assigned according to the needs of the army under their "pre-18D MOS".
Hmmmm.....what a waste...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 04-03-2005, 18:58   #13
Kyobanim

I don't normally post here but I do have a little insight on the educational side of this.

Having worked at a community college for a while now with a fairly large nursing/paramedic/emt program here's an observation to consider. Colleges are in business to make money. Not nesessarily a large profit, but money to increase their degree offerings and to have to offer to those who they consider good teachers and staff they'd like to have and other things. It's a prestige thing. Go figure.

If a program doesn't make a certain amount of money they will drop like a hot potato. I've sat in on a few meetings where this has come up and it's not a pretty sight. What one college in a part of the country doesn't allow, one in another part might. If the colleges around you don't accept your training try checking in other areas

At my school they are always fiddling with requirements for the medical arts. Right now they are looking at relaxing or changing some of the requirements because we're bringing 2 new buildings on line just for the medical arts. That will give us 4 medical related buildings. They will be making it more attractive to prospective sturdents to get them to sign up and fill those classes. Once they fill up the requirements will change again. That's the nature of the beast.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 19:43   #14
spdch
SF Candidate

To add to my earlier post, it isn't SOCM that receives the Assoc. degree, but SFMS grads. I don't know what the actual title of the degree is, but when I find out, I'll pass that along. Again, pretty positive this is legit, but not definitive yet.

Last edited by spdch; 04-07-2005 at 19:52.
spdch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 19:50   #15
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdch
To add to my earlier post, it isn't SOCM that receives the Assoc. degree, but SFMS grads. I don't know what the actual title of the degree is, but when I find out, I'll pass that along. Again, prettyt positive this is legit, but not definitive yet.
Please do-I need another degree

This was the most credits offered that I could find (46) given by the "American College of Pre-Hospital Medicine"

MIL Credit Consideration

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 04-07-2005 at 19:54. Reason: Added link