Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 06-21-2008, 18:07   #31
Scimitar
Area Commander

Addition

You can find MD0851 here

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3172930/US...thology-md0851

Not sure why its not on "train" anymore, maybe not part of course now?

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 15:01   #32
RADIO82
Asset

Thumbs up

Thanks! I finally got a chance to get online and find it and enroll. I figure that it will help since I am downrange and can only do so much to train out here. I also picked up the coloring books and the A&P textbook too. I figure that with this and some hard work I will be sitting on a decent level once I get to the course.
RADIO82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:26   #33
Doctor Porkchop
Quiet Professional

Awesome headstart

Thanks to all of you, your advice is worth more than gold. I've started the amedd prep course and found it somewhat easy to understand so I followed the advice on this thread and bought the anatomy and physiology fundamentals book and is really good. I'm still waiting for my phase II date but i figured that the more i sweat right now the less i'll suffer during socm or sfms, also i'll be enrolling in the emt-b on a nearby school, hopefully that will add up more to my knowledge base(as a 21B, it sucks not having any medical background). Thanks again guys.

"I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!." John Rambo
Doctor Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58   #34
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSFWantstobe View Post
Thanks to all of you, your advice is worth more than gold. I've started the amedd prep course and found it somewhat easy to understand so I followed the advice on this thread and bought the anatomy and physiology fundamentals book and is really good. I'm still waiting for my phase II date but i figured that the more i sweat right now the less i'll suffer during socm or sfms, also i'll be enrolling in the emt-b on a nearby school, hopefully that will add up more to my knowledge base(as a 21B, it sucks not having any medical background). Thanks again guys.
Personally I wouldn't waist my time with a EMT-B course brother. Stick to the guidelines given to you and focus on the 25m target. You have many more important things to worry about right now than taking some EMT-B course that will either 1) give you bad habits (which the cadre fucking hate) or 2) teach you out of date material by the time you get to the 18D course. Just my .02s so take for what it's worth. For now I would focus on Pt and getting ready for phase 2 and SERE. Don't worry about not knowing any medical stuff before the course. You will learn more than you ever dreamed and then some. More people than you could imagine have been where you are and made it through with no problem. Others haven't. Good luck with the course. Just don't get to far ahead of yourself. Things in the Q change daily...
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56   #35
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF718 View Post
Im hoping to re-class to an 18D from 18B. I just finished an EMT-B program in an attempt to get some baseline knowledge. But as difficult as some of the program was, overall it really was not that difficult.
I guess my question is, of anyones opinion, is EMT-B a fair into to any fraction of what one may encounter in the course. Ive also been focusing much of my study time to further understanding of Anatomy and physiology. Ive been researching some of the books posted on this thread and some more to try to find something that was in my price range. I bought a text book "Anatomy and Physiology/Paramedic" Distributed by a company called AAOS. ( www.Paramedic.EMSzone.com ) as a start point until i can get a date for the course.
Is the level of understanding a EMT-B or EMT-P receives on A and P similar to that in the 18D course?
In a word no. The EMT-P level is instructed within the first few months of the course...you then have more than 2/3rds of the course to complete.
The 18D course is significantly more advanced in the understanding of physiologic systems so that you understand more of the "why" that you are doing things. EMT-B / P allows your reliance on some sort of medical control and rapid transport. the 18D understands that you are on your own and may not have transport for days, if at all.

Bottom line, the "stuff" that your skin is wrapped around is all pretty much in the same place regardless of what book you buy or who teaches it.

If you really want to learn and understand what's in there and how it works....but the Anatomy coloring book and the physiology coloring book, a good set of 100 or so colored pencils, and practice your attention to detail as you start at the beginning of each and color your way through to the end.

HTH / good luck-
Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 22:29   #36
pennywise
Quiet Professional

18B to 18D

SF718 Anything that you can learn prior to course that will help, well you now have had some sort of intro with the EMT-B. That is better than most that have coming into the course. Brother you will spend many a night studying A&P etc.
Each system aka anatomy through surg and anesth is taught on the platform by a live or in some cases semi-automated instructors. Just sit back and hang on for the ride. and last but not least , remember you are back in SWC. You will probably spend more time baby sitting as class leader than studying so set aside a quite place to study after school. also never mind anything you hear about a certain instructor there that roller bladed around the top floor naked in clown make-up, its a lie I tell you!
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 22:55   #37
pennywise
Quiet Professional

All you want!!! remember 90% percent of those kids are underwear models. The squids and the force retards can run like the wind! not to mention the foreign students "KSK" etc So ya gotta bring it! and also have a very large bag of Shut the F--- Up! You will be saying that phrase so much, you would think you adopted 100 kids on Concerta! Concerta = ADDHD meds. hah! Thats medical humor!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27   #38
pennywise
Quiet Professional

tightass

Nope , actually you get to be the demo! Onstage! also you are the demo for the for the tug and poke on the twig and berries
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23   #39
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up So true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
All you want!!! remember 90% percent of those kids are underwear models. The squids and the force retards can run like the wind! not to mention the foreign students "KSK" etc So ya gotta bring it! and also have a very large bag of Shut the F--- Up! You will be saying that phrase so much, you would think you adopted 100 kids on Concerta! Concerta = ADDHD meds. hah! Thats medical humor!
Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 16:44   #40
dk0878
Asset

Which Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9 View Post
Like Crip said: do the prep course because they will want you to have it done before they send you to the schoolhouse for training. When you get here, if there is still a logjam at student company waiting to come over to the 18D course, then you will be selected to begin sooner if you have completed that course. So do the course b/c it is expected of you by student company and will help move you up in priority for getting enrolled (which means less time on landscaping details waiting for the next class).

But if you want to ACTUALLY prepare yourself for the course, then the absolute best thing you can do is find a copy of this book:

Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology, Third Edition, Martini/Bartholomew

Even if you can't find this one in your price range and you have to get an old, used copy of the second edition, do it.

That is the textbook that is used in Med Fundamentals, and you can do yourself no better favor than prereading that book - especially if you do not have a medical background. I am not kidding, you are pretty much going to have to know it cover to cover anyway. If you can preread it in advance - even if you don't fully understand everything you read - you will understand far more when you hear it again in lectures and are able to ask the questions you have.

I've given that advice to a lot of people starting the course, and I don't know of anyone that's taken it yet. But someone told me to do it, and I did, and as far as I'm concerned it's the best possible preparation for the course.

If that's out of your price range then I highly recommend you find a friend in SOCM who is done with MedFunds and who will loan you his book while you're waiting to class up.

It's not just about passing med funds (not a trivial matter in itself). It's about really understanding anatomy and physiology. The better grasp of the structure and function of the human body you come away from med fundamentals with, the more sense EVERYTHING you learn for the rest of the course is going to make. If you have a good grasp of A&P, everything you learn from that point on will reinforce and expand on your base of knowledge. If you take the road more often travelled here, and cram for the exams while putting minimal emphasis on really understanding the fundamentals, then each new idea that is introduced subsequently will be more difficult for you.

I'm beginning the last phase of the 18D course right now, and last Friday we had a lecture from one of the Colonel/Doctors here on anesthesiology. He closed that lecture with a review of pulmonary gas exchange, and at the end said he was about to give us the best piece of advice he could send us out the door with. "Go back to the beginning," he said, "and fill in all the holes - and dig deeper - into your anatomy and physiology. If you really understand that, everything else is gravy."

I would do the prep-course to satisfy the Army. I would pre-read that book so I could become the kind of medic my team deserves.

FWIW
Since this post is a couple of years old and there is now a fourth edition to this book, I was wondering if someone could tell me which edition they are using for the class now, and if I should get the fourth edition instead of the third? I would appreciate this information very much.

Also I have been searching the ATTARS website and it keeps saying that "081-18DPrep does not exist." Is this training no longer available? Thank you again.

Dan
dk0878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 17:40   #41
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0878 View Post
Since this post is a couple of years old and there is now a fourth edition to this book, I was wondering if someone could tell me which edition they are using for the class now, and if I should get the fourth edition instead of the third? I would appreciate this information very much...
At your level the edition changes arent significant enough to split hairs over. Pick up any edition and start reading and while you are at it get the A&P coloring book and a pack of 64 color pencils and go to work on that as well...

I will leave the Prep course stuff to someone else; I havent a clue...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19   #42
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
It is kinda hard to find them. It is on ATTARS, but you find the actual course downloads on https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/soldier.portal

The whole course is referred to as 081-18DPrep
Dan,

Type this "081-18DPrep" into the Search field here,

It shows up.

Hope that helps

Scimitar

ATTENTION:
Active Duty or National Guard
Non-Prior-Service CMF18 recruits
Who desire or have contracted MOS 18D

My understanding from the ATTARS people is that you need to have shipped to Basic before you can actually enrol in this course. However you can study for it before then by simply downloading the documents as per links.

Once at your Basic Training Inprocessing Station you are officially "in the Army" and can therefore enrol in the course and then test out of it virtually the same day. Approach one of your Cadre during your inprocessing period or at Basic Airborne School, you should be able to get the time to enrol and test out.

The theory is that you will hit SFAS with the course pass on your record, improving you chance of 18D if you don’t already have it guaranteed or if you do have it contracted improve your preparedness for the 18D program.

Don't not study this just because you can't actually enrol in it yet.

Any corrections or additions welcome.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 02-27-2009 at 01:38.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 14:18   #43
dk0878
Asset

Thank you

Thank you very much gentlemen. I will be getting those books as soon as possible and have registered for the Prep class. And if anyone has any advice on preparing for Selection, the Q Course or 18D I would love to hear, please feel free to PM me. For now I am reading whatever I find (books and this forum) to prepare myself mentally.

Dan

Last edited by dk0878; 03-05-2009 at 14:58.
dk0878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 20:11   #44
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0878 View Post
Thank you very much gentlemen. I will be getting those books as soon as possible and have registered for the Prep class. And if anyone has any advice on preparing for Selection, the Q Course or 18D I would love to hear, please feel free to PM me. For now I am reading whatever I find (books and this forum) to prepare myself mentally.

Dan
Dan:

You will find more than enough info if you read and use the Search button here.

No point in PMing it to one person, if it would be of benefit to all.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:16   #45
doubleohseven
Asset

Just an update on this course, I enrolled in 18D-prep in early March while I was still downrange. The entire course is available online now including the exams through ALMS. I am not sure if new enrollments will auto enrolled for the online version, as I when I started the course I got the scantrons and exams in the mail, and recently recieved an email for every course converted to the online version. I did have to email AMEDD to get old test scores posted. Otherwise I would have had to retake exams.
If you have the exam books, filling them out like a work book while you go through the course is still the best way to maxmize your score, the test is open book so I don't believe this is unethical.