Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50   #1
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Uribe and re-election

http://colombiareports.com/colombia-...democracy.html

This is kind of old, but the guy wanted to run for a 3rd term. From what I've read in the news, he's had many accomplishments in Colombia's biggest problems. He lowered the crime rates in Bogatá and delt blows to FARC and the ELN since '02. I think if the guy got re-elected he would be the "FDR" of Colombia. We put money into them should we not use what is guaranteed to work? Their constitution like ours limits Presidency to no more than two, 4 year terms but our people made exceptions on that, why not them? Some of you guys know the situation down there best, how do you think this would work for Colombia?
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:51   #2
craigepo
Quiet Professional

FDR is the reason our law now allows no more than two 4-year terms.

Constitutions, especially in developing countries, have words with meaning that were put there for a reason. Term limits for a chief executive in south/central america are necessary.

It would be just as wrong for us to interfere in a Columbian election as it was for Obama to suggest that the Hondurans were wrong for ousting their President pursuant to their Constitution.

If the Columbians screw up, they screw up. They pay the consequences. That's the point the US is at right now. Would you have been mad if some country had shown up and bought ads, telling us we must keep Bill Clinton in office?
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12   #3
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
FDR is the reason our law now allows no more than two 4-year terms.

Constitutions, especially in developing countries, have words with meaning that were put there for a reason. Term limits for a chief executive in south/central america are necessary.

It would be just as wrong for us to interfere in a Columbian election as it was for Obama to suggest that the Hondurans were wrong for ousting their President pursuant to their Constitution.

If the Columbians screw up, they screw up. They pay the consequences. That's the point the US is at right now. Would you have been mad if some country had shown up and bought ads, telling us we must keep Bill Clinton in office?
Yeah, I would. I'm not saying it must be this way, I'm just saying I think Uribe has done a good job, and wouldn't mind if he tried running again. I am not sure how it is bad over there, but I'm guessing its for the same reason we don't do 3 terms here.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 14:01   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

DS:

You need to do more reading, and less posting.

We have the two term limits for president because of FDR. They did not "make an exception" because of him, they passed the law to keep it from happening again, as craigpo explained.

Frankly, I think the forefathers never anticipated a man weanting to be in elected office for more than eight years.

Uribe has done well for his own country, and ours. He has probably been a better friend to us than we have to him, especially recently. The Colombians will decide his future. I am sure that he has a good protege that he will help support.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48   #5
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Uribe

In country until tonight. Reaper is correct. There are 3 candidates that will try and continue with President Uribe's policies.

His former Defense Minister Santos is one of them. Colombians feel slighted that Secretary of State did not come to Colombia during her latest trip to South America.

FYI Uribe's approval rating has dropped to 63% of Colombians says he is doing a good job.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike792 View Post
In country until tonight. Reaper is correct. There are 3 candidates that will try and continue with President Uribe's policies.

His former Defense Minister Santos is one of them. Colombians feel slighted that Secretary of State did not come to Colombia during her latest trip to South America.

FYI Uribe's approval rating has dropped to 63% of Colombians says he is doing a good job.
Sounds as if they like their President better than we like ours.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:51   #7
exsquid
Quiet Professional

One reason Latin America is messed up in spots is because we stuck our noses in shit that we should not have because "we knew better." One could argue if we had not overthrown a duly elected government in Guatemala in 1954, than Che would have been just a crappy doctor somewhere and not on a t-shirt at the mall. Plenty of other examples are available if you look. Hell, I think Danny, Evo, y Hugo should all get 7.62 enemas, but the thing is, their people asked for it, let them have it. People learn from their own mistakes better than if you just tell them what to do.

x/S