Old 02-05-2008, 13:51   #1
medic1551
Asset

18D qualified

Please forgive me of my ignorance at asking the following questions…

I think that my recruiters are feeding me a bunch of BS and telling me that I am qualified for an 18D with a GT score of 109 and a NC EMT-B certification. I am going to retake my ASVAB and study my ass off to hopefully raise my score because I have been told I need a 120-130 to be even considered for the 18D mos. Also it seems damn near impossible for me to get a contact with a current 18D SF person to speak with about the matter. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated because I feel more and more confused the more information I learn.
medic1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:14   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Unless things have changed since I graduated the course you will need a minimum GT score of 110 to be considered for training as an 18D. However just because you may score a 110 doesnt mean you will be chosen to train as an 18D. You will be subjected to more testing which you will only have one shot at. You would do yourself well to start studying to make yourself smarter in the long run. This will also make you a better, more rounded person.

Also, your EMT-B certification has little to nothing to do your chances of being selected for 18D. I have met quite a few 18B,C,E who are EMT-B's as well who were selected for something else or whom thought they had what it took but soon realized they didn't and were reclassed to another MOS.

If you are looking to enlist into an 18X contract you need to come to terms with accepting any MOS for which the SFAS committee selects you for. The needs of the Regiment come first, your needs are somewhere further down the list in most cases...

As for talking to an 18D, its not near impossible. There are many of us here who are more than willing to entertain your questions as long as they are well thought out, well researched, and relevant.

You would do yourself well to read every thread in the SFAS and SFQC forums. Chances are if you have a question it will have already been asked by one of us who were in your shoes at one time. The search button is your friend.

Now, go do PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:21   #3
medic1551
Asset

Thank you for the fast response, I will search the forums more to find out any more questions I have. Also is it ok to PM you or is that pushing my luck with an SF person since Im not even enlisted?
medic1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:41   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic1551 View Post
...Also is it ok to PM you or is that pushing my luck...
PM's are fine. However if it is a general question about SF or SF training, from which someone else may benefit, it would be best to ask it in the open.

As well, be aware the same thing applies to questions via PM as they do to those posted in the open (ie: relevance, thought out, and well researched).

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-05-2008 at 14:44.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 15:26   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic1551 View Post
Thank you for the fast response, I will search the forums more to find out any more questions I have. Also is it ok to PM you or is that pushing my luck with an SF person since Im not even enlisted?
That would depend entirely on whom you're pushing........

Surgicalcric is an Active Duty Special Forces soldier and 18D, you are not going to receive a better answer.

Remember, most will not even make it into Special Forces and you're already asking to be an SF medic......

Now move out an draw fire else where.

Team Sergeant
Old 02-05-2008, 16:57   #6
Scimitar
Area Commander

Waiverable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Unless things have changed since I graduated the course you will need a minimum GT score of 110 to be considered for training
Hello SurgicalCric,

My understanding is that 110 is required for ARNG, but an AD applicant can now apply for a waiver is their score is between 100 - 109. I am not sure if a waiver can be obtained for ARNG?

Scimitar

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 02-05-2008 at 17:03.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Hello SurgicalCric,

My understanding is that 110 is required for ARNG, but an AD applicant can now apply for a waiver is their score is between 100 - 109. I am not sure if a waiver can be obtained for ARNG?

Scimitar
Low GTs and waivered personnel are not normally slotted for 18D training as they are deemed to lack the mental capacity to successfully complete the 18D academic requirements.

The first time the ASVAB is taken is normally used for slotting as it is a test that people tend to "learn" or do better on as they continue to take it, rendering artificially higher scores.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 14:51   #8
Scimitar
Area Commander

Roger

Roger that TR ,

Thank you.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:02   #9
Mr. Wizard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Low GTs and waivered personnel are not normally slotted for 18D training as they are deemed to lack the mental capacity to successfully complete the 18D academic requirements.

The first time the ASVAB is taken is normally used for slotting as it is a test that people tend to "learn" or do better on as they continue to take it, rendering artificially higher scores.

TR
Ouch.
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. - Jeff Cooper

R.I.P. - Moises A. Langhorst, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, 1st Marine Division
Mr. Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:53   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
Ouch.
Mr W!!

Since you wandered in here from LF and obviously don't comprehend the serious intent of this Forum, I suggest that you reserve your comments, unless your intention is to DRAW FIRE!!!!

Do take care.
Martin
Old 02-06-2008, 21:32   #11
dave
Asset

i kind of fit into this topic so i'll throw my .02 cents out there.

my original gt score was a 109, and while i was an infantryman they sent me to the FAST class to raise my GT score for better reenlistment options and soforth. ended up with a 121 GT.

went to selection and requested 18D first choice and got it
so i'm not so sure they wouldn't slot u because of your previous score

so if u're serious about it, see about raising your GT score

keep in mind they have u take tests there at selection also, which most likely has some factor in which mos they slot u in
or maybe they just need a shit load of echos
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02   #12
Mack
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen,

I've lurked on this site for some time and have taken and applied a lot of the advice given. Just wanted to put out that I graduate the 18 D course today. Next target is Indonesian. Moving out...
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Gentlemen,

I've lurked on this site for some time and have taken and applied a lot of the advice given. Just wanted to put out that I graduate the 18 D course today. Next target is Indonesian. Moving out...
Good job.....

Indonesian, been there, nice place! Enjoy 1st Gp!

Team Sergeant