Old 05-12-2007, 22:33   #31
bosljeff
SF Candidate

Count me in for a vote for Raeford.

Just moved here and have been in the Q for under a year now. Yeah, the drive can suck, but I'm an adult and I go to bed early and get up early on my own so I have the time to drive.

My neighbors are also in the Q, so the wives all hang out too.

I don't have kids, so no opinion there. I live just outside of Raeford near East Hoke Middle School and it isn't too bad. You just have to "consolidate" your errands and make the most of your time to save time, money, and gas when going into town.

It is nice to get away from post and separate Army from your "other" life. We ended up with an amazing 4 bedroom house with a huge backyard, 2 car garage for a hundred less than BAH for me.

So again, my vote is for Raeford. If I were 18 and single- on post, but "grown up" and married, off post away from post.

Good luck.

I promise, I graduated long ago....
bosljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 17:40   #32
CRad
Guerrilla

We live in Fayetteville, in one of neighborhoods right off post. We're less than a mile from 7th Grp HQ and not far from the new PX/ Commisary. We've lived here for more than 20 years. There are some real advantages to the proximity and that's been pointed out by some darned sharp guys.

I have a school age child. Cumberland County has school choice so if you have kids and they have talent in a certain area the school system will work with you. My son goes to Ben Martin which is an accelerated learning academy. He started school at 4 going on 5. They have tailored his academics to his weaknesses rather than his strengths. He's going to do what he likes on his own. He needs help with what he doesn't like so that program works for him.

The SF people I know tend to bunch up. A guy talks to another guy about where he lives and so on and so forth until you end up with several guys living in the same area. I kind of like that as well. Some people want to get out away from the military but I feel more secure know who my neighbors are and knowing I can count on them when my husband is deployed.

The othe thing is I like being really close to the hospital and the clinic. Because SF is deployed so much it simply makes me feel better knowing help is less than minutes away. I'm sure civilians are just as good as military when it comes to crisis but the difference is I trust the military to know how I'm feeling and to understand better than civilians. (No I don't. )

If it weren't for kids and deployments, I'd be in Southern Pines or Pinehurst in a New York minute.

That's just me and as I've said before I could be wrong but I've been doing this for 20+ years without much problem so take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52   #33
cobra22
Quiet Professional

I Start clearing in two weeks I'm trying to compile a list of Realtors, I have Evans realty so far, I'll be calling them today. If any one knows of any other reputable companies I would appreciate the input. I will be at Bragg about the middle of FEB to start browsing homes. I Don't report until March so I have a few weeks to look for what I need. i'm looking to rent not buy.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:32   #34
bosljeff
SF Candidate

We were renting from All American homes (the home I mentioned above) and it seems like no matter where you live, if you rent a house, you will be screwed later. I don't know if you are looking at renting a house or an apartment, but so far from our experience, those middle man house rental companies just don't give a damn about you.

If you want to consider buying a condo or a house:

Condo Concepts
910/864-8008 office
208/241-4567 mobile

Their properties at "Landfall" are pretty cool. I know several SF guys are there. They also can hook you up with their home sales too. I bought my house (we have a big dog, so no condo) through them and H&H builders/Coldwell Banker.

Old 01-03-2008, 18:05   #35
exsquid
Quiet Professional

If you are looking to buy a house the market is flooded with descent properties. If you are looking to rent a nice place, be prepared to pay too much or to look at dozens of dumps. Oh did I mention, at the end of my 1 year lease I was given two weeks to leave. Not because I was a bad tenant but because the owner wanted to live in the house I was in so he could rent out the house he was living in.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 18:30   #36
ford21b
Asset

ditto mffjm8509

I agree with you on Pinehurst, my Dad (army) lives out there and I know when i go and stay with him, I just fall in love with the place.
ford21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 18:32   #37
bosljeff
SF Candidate

That is exactly what happened to me, while I'm here in the Delta course. So instead of studying I got to look for a house and all the crap associated with buying a house, pack, move, and unpack. Like I have that kind of time to move. Who did you rent through? I got the exact same story right at the end of my lease. Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
Oh did I mention, at the end of my 1 year lease I was given two weeks to leave. Not because I was a bad tenant but because the owner wanted to live in the house I was in so he could rent out the house he was living in.

x/S

Old 01-03-2008, 19:20   #38
HQ6
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I If not, there are plenty of apartments which in some cases can be even closer to work than some of the base communities.

There is a brand new complex at Yadkin and Filyaw. It looks to be very nice and well kept. I am not sure how reasonable, but you can't beat the commute.
Old 06-22-2010, 20:58   #39
frostfire
Area Commander

Randolph Pointe?

Any latest recommendation on a place to live at Bragg, or anyone interested to rent out to easy-to-live-with-simple-living butter bar who'll be out 12 hours+ everyday? Walking/biking distance to WOMACK is desired and oh...proximity to lead-slinging range, gyms, rock walls and rucking path will be great, too

Does anyone have first hand experience or working knowledge of Randolph Pointe apartments?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 22:54   #40
Ewok
Asset

My husband and I are moving to Bragg in June for him to attend the Q course. Are the areas mentioned on the previous pages still the best recommended areas to live?
It's just the two of us and a small dog. We're looking to rent. Obviously we would prefer something that doesn't require a horrible drive to post but will gladly sacrifice the drive time for a good, safe neighborhood.

Thank you all!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54   #41
Prester John
Quiet Professional

Not sure if anybody's looking, but I have a house for sale in Haymount. I lived there for 5 years and loved the location. It's off a quiet side street and has plenty of parking. House is a 4/3 which is hard to find in Haymount, and it's only 7 minutes from the AA gate. It's perfect for being in the Q. In five years I never once paid the mortgage with 3 other guys living there with me.

If anyone is interested let me know, I just dropped a pretty penny in getting it all prettied up for the market, and built a huge deck on the back last year. It's listed well below appraisal, and I'd be willing to cut a deal to anybody who might want it from the community.

Doug

P.S. For what it's worth, the wife and I now live in Pinehurst. :GRIN: What was that song from The Jefferson's?
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 13:50   #42
frostfire
Area Commander

Bragg on-post housing available to rent

http://www.randolphpointe.com/index.php?id=hudson
*Includes water, sewer, trash, electricity, full-size washer and dryer, $10,000 Renters' Insurance, high-speed Internet, and cable TV with one premium Showtime channel. Multiple storage rooms available, also garage avaible for rent. Gym, swimming pool, pool table, volley ball court, basketball court. Approx 0.25 miles to Commissary/PX, 1.9 miles to WAMC

2011 price is $747.50 for first floor apartment.
It's steep, but if you value safety, 24/7 quiet environment, ultimate reliability and geographic location that covers for traffic and GATE contingency with FORSCOM and USARC moving to Bragg, it's worth it.
There's about 100 in waiting list. This gets you ahead of them.

If you're E6 and above, O1, O2, or O3, SF/SF candidate or work at WAMC, male/female, single, neat and clean, not party type, not allergic to firearms, nitrocellulose, brass, and numerous pointy instruments of varying length, please PM me. Move in date in the next 30 days.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 05-23-2011 at 14:00.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:04   #43
Pete
Quiet Professional

Test scores cause concern for Southern Pines officials

Test scores cause concern for Southern Pines officials

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011...096397?sac=Mil

"SOUTHERN PINES - Last year, nearly 91 percent of students at Pinehurst Elementary School performed at or above grade level on state end of year tests.

At Southern Pines Elementary, it was 76 percent.

That difference, 15 percentage points, is causing consternation among many Southern Pines residents, according to town council members................

This is only one elementary school they are talking about in Moore County.

But before you buy or rent - check out where that neighborhood is assigned in the local school system and it's stats.

Kids need a good start. Give it to them in the public schools - or go private.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 17:46   #44
Ewok
Asset

My husband and I ended up renting in Fayetteville off of Robeson. We're in a new subdivision, that appears nice, is so far quiet (thankfully) and with dry runs during 4:00 PM traffic was roughly a 20 minute commute to post.
Does anyone know pro's or cons with the Massey Hill area? We like the house but aren't sold on the rental company or larger neighborhood once leaving the subdivision, so if a better opportunity presented itself, we would consider moving.
Thank you!

E
Old 05-24-2011, 19:37   #45
Pete
Quiet Professional

Patrol Zone 5

Massey Hill is Patrol Zone 5.

http://p2c.bethebadge.com/p2c/Summary.aspx

I copied the incident report page. Don't know how it will look until after I post it. Anyway the mapping is down right now so you have to use the regular incident search for a 10 day period. Zone 5 had 23 incidents the last 10 days.

Edited to add - OK, it does not save the search. Use the drop down and put in Zone 5 and then add the date.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote