Old 01-04-2021, 14:33   #1
jatx
Area Commander

PRS Shooting

Hi all, greetings after some time away from the site!

I have been getting into long range shooting, since it's always seemed interesting to me and it's something new to do outdoors these days. I'm still a noob, learning to reload, etc., but I am going to shoot some PRS matches this year and see how it goes. If any of you do the same, let me know - I'd be interested in squadding up with some good people.

I'm in Texas, so TX, OK, CO and possibly WY matches are possible.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:45   #2
frostfire
Area Commander

how on earth you find/afford the am mo?!?
Maybe you had stockpiled and reloaded during seasons of plenty?

I sold $7000+ worth of precision platform and ammo before going OCONUS few years back. The QP who bought them warned me what could transpire....

Still living and learning here

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:28   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post

I sold $7000+ worth of precision platform and ammo before going OCONUS few years back. The QP who bought them warned me what could transpire....

Not to rub salt in an open wound but you should know we sincerely appreciate your sacrifices; those platforms perform like a house on fire when you've got ammo to feed them. Good thing we anticipated and prepared (aka reloading everything). I've witnessed the Tikka holding a tight 10-ring at 1000 yds and the LaRue doing the same at 600 (can't use it at 1000 because it's sub-sonic). We went to electronic scoring so I'm now using a 6.5 to stay supersonic at 1000 so the ShotMarker will record.

BTW - here's wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 14:46   #4
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:

Well, luckily I have enough good brass to outlast each of my barrels 3-4x. I make sure of that when I buy them. The hardest components to find lately have been primers, and I did squirrel away about 10k Federal 210M's about five years ago and have resisted the temptation to use those until now. Powder has not been that big of an issue. I shoot 6.5CM and everyone is gaga for H4350, but I've been using Superperformance to good effect and don't seem to have much competition for it. I think it's because there are very few published loads - but I was just able to get another 16 lbs. at normal prices from Midway.

Bullets have been easy to find via Ammoseek.

By far the hardest lately has been loading for my 28 Nosler hunting rifle. I had to trade a kidney for 3 lbs. of Retumbo and some 215M primers!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 18:20   #5
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:

Just know that the brick of .22's you sold me went to a very good home and I appreciate your parting with them. None of us have a crystal ball. The election in the Fall of 08 prompted me to make purchases I probably would not have made, I am sure my wife thought I was nuts. Happy new Year!
Old 01-08-2021, 05:17   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Just know that the brick of .22's you sold me went to a very good home and I appreciate your parting with them. None of us have a crystal ball. The election in the Fall of 08 prompted me to make purchases I probably would not have made, I am sure my wife thought I was nuts. Happy new Year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Not to rub salt in an open wound but you should know we sincerely appreciate your sacrifices; those platforms perform like a house on fire when you've got ammo to feed them. Good thing we anticipated and prepared (aka reloading everything). I've witnessed the Tikka holding a tight 10-ring at 1000 yds and the LaRue doing the same at 600 (can't use it at 1000 because it's sub-sonic). We went to electronic scoring so I'm now using a 6.5 to stay supersonic at 1000 so the ShotMarker will record.

BTW - here's wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.
Neus Jahr!
Why thank you for the report! All warm and fuzzy inside here
Perhaps when the pandemic is over I could swing by to roll a few with 143 gr ELD and tag along to Butner to attempt sub 0.5MOA 1000 yds group!

I honestly believe my tools went to better homes since I'm lead slinger no more.
Hope the QP who bought my national match M9 has been reloading too! (...and hopefully by now he had earned the longest tab )

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33   #7
JimP
Quiet Professional

JATX, shoot me a PM with your location. I'm in San Antonio. I'm wanting to do the same as you; but it sounds as though you are way ahead of me in the reloading/shooting realm.

Maybe we can hook up this year to do a shoot. At the least, I could be your ammo bearer...."I'm not a smart man but I can pick-up heavy stuff and put it down again."

Jim

I'm in the process of culling the herd and selling off unused guns and inventory. These coming years will be "interesting.' I want to refine my calibers, get sufficient stock of ammo-making supplies to survive the coming drought and fire-sale sell-off of our Country to the highest bidder by the dems.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote