Old 03-10-2005, 16:32   #1
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Fatwa against Bin Laden

Saw this article. Thought it was about time. --Aric

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050310/323/fe375.html

---ARTICLE FULL TEXT---
Spanish Muslims issue fatwa against Al-Qaeda's Osama Bin Laden

MADRID (AFX) - Spain's Islamic Commission, which groups the nation's Muslim community, said it was issuing a fatwa against Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden,
'We are going to issue a fatwa (religious decree) against Bin Laden this afternoon,' Mansour Escudero, who leads the Federation of Islamic religious entities (Feeri) and co-secretary general of the Spanish governmenmt-created Commission told AFP.
The Commission invited Spanish-based imams to condemn terrorism at Friday prayers, when the whole country will be remembering the 191 people who were killed in the train blasts and the 1,900 injured a year ago.
The attacks have been blamed on mainly Moroccan Islamic extremists loyal to Bin Laden.
'We have called on imams to make a formal declaration condemning terrorism and for a special prayer for all the victims of terrorism,' Escudero said.
The Commission has also drawn up a document designed to 'thank the Spanish people and the government for their attitude towards Muslims' since last March 11, in particular for not taking 'disproportionate' measures similar to those which the Sept 11 attacks sparked in the US.
The Commission called on Muslims to take part in Friday's commemorative programme being organised by Spanish authorities and community groups and to work with them to ensure terrorism was defeated.
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 19:08   #2
Gypsy
Area Commander

And it's done. Good to see.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150066,00.html

Spanish Muslims Issue Fatwa Against Usama
Thursday, March 10, 2005

PHOTOS VIDEO

MADRID, Spain — Muslim clerics in Spain issued what they called the world's first fatwa (search), or Islamic edict, against Usama bin Laden on Thursday, the first anniversary of the Madrid train bombings, calling him an apostate and urging others of their faith to denounce the Al Qaeda (search) leader.

The ruling was issued by the Islamic Commission of Spain, the main body representing the country's 1 million-member Muslim community. The commission represents 200 or so mostly Sunni mosques, or about 70 percent of all mosques in Spain.

The March 11, 2004, train bombings killed 191 people and were claimed in videotapes by militants who said they had acted on Al Qaeda's behalf in revenge for Spain's troop deployment in Iraq.

The commission's secretary general, Mansur Escudero, said the group had consulted with Muslim leaders in other countries, such as Morocco — home to most of the jailed suspects in the bombings — Algeria and Libya, and had their support.

"They agree," Escudero said, referring to the Muslim leaders in the three North African countries. "What I want is that they say so publicly."

The fatwa said that according to the Quran "the terrorist acts of Usama bin Laden (search) and his organization Al Qaeda ... are totally banned and must be roundly condemned as part of Islam."

It added: "Inasmuch as Usama bin Laden and his organization defend terrorism as legal and try to base it on the Quran ... they are committing the crime of 'istihlal' and thus become apostates that should not be considered Muslims or treated as such." The Arabic term 'istihlal' refers to the act of making up one's own laws.

Escudero said a fatwa can be issued by any Muslim leader who leads prayer sessions and as he serves such a role, he himself lawfully issued the edict.

He called it an unprecedented condemnation of bin Laden. "We felt now we had the responsibility and obligation to make this declaration," he said in an interview.

"I hope there is a positive reaction from Muslims," he added.

Asked if the edict meant Muslims had to help police try to arrest the world's most wanted man — who is believed to be hiding along the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan — Escudero said: "We don't get involved in police affairs but we do feel that all Muslims are obliged to ... keep anyone from doing unjustified damage to other people."
Old 03-12-2005, 02:36   #3
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Interesting..... To me, I wouldn't trust any muslim leader or group. The Spanish DID cave after thier last election for two reasons: 1) The terrorist attack! 2) The record setting turnout of young voters! It's that simple. Granted this Escudero guy said that. But why?? A deal perhaps? Sounds good, huh? Besides what are they going to do? (the muslims in Spain) Go to the Afghanistan/Pakistan border and hunt the turd?
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:34   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

At this point, I would take any moral courage exhibited by Muslims anywhere in distancing themselves from Osama, Al Queda, or terrorism.

It is a start.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:36   #5
Weazle23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
At this point, I would take any moral courage exhibited by Muslims anywhere in distancing themselves from Osama, Al Queda, or terrorism.

It is a start.

TR

Exactly what I was thinking. For a well known (at least in Spain) cleric to stand up and speak his mind against the worlds most wanted man who claims to share his ideology and religion is a great start. Perhaps more and more muslim leaders who feel Osama and other jihadists are not following true Islam will follow suit and condemn the bastards. This could begin to sway the minds of the common people who support Al Queda and other groups like it.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55   #6
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Agreed! This could be a start. Hope it is. It's just that this crap started for me in the late 60's. I have a couple things to post on here regarding that and much earlier (and yeah, even before I roamed the earth). Just don't know how yet. I'll figure it out.
One more thing, all I've seen or heard from the muslim leaders in this country since 9/11 is bitchin, moaning and wah wah stuff.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote