Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 20:33   #916
Sigaba
Area Commander

Wilson D. Miscamble, C.S.C, The Most Controversial Decision: Truman, the Atomic Bombs, and the Defeat of Japan Cambridge Essential Histories (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011) ISBN-13: 978-0521735360.

In this well-written work, Miscamble draws upon his previous work on Truman, as well as more recent scholarship, and forcefully argues that Truman's decision must be understood within the context of the Second World War. Truman sought to spare the lives of American servicemen--not to intimidate the Soviet Union. Miscamble repeatedly rakes 'revisionist' historians (in particular, Gar Alperovitz and Tsuyoshi Hasegawa) who argue that Truman practiced "atomic diplomacy" at the Potsdam Conference, that the use of the bombs was unnecessary, and that the Japanese were on the verge of surrender in the summer of 1945.

Miscamble also subtly excoriates those who justify the morality of Truman's decision in contemporaneous debates. Miscamble is especially skillful at skewering those who belong to the "Japs had it coming" school of thought.

While I agree with many of Miscamble's central arguments and appreciate his focus on operations in the Pacific War, I think he falls into the same trap as those revisionists he seeks to refute. Much of his argument that the use of the bombs saved millions of lives is (fortunately) counter-factual. Just as we can never know for certain what would have happened had the United States pursued the preferred policies of the revisionists, we can never know for certain what would have happened had the United States invaded Japan. History is the study of what happened, not what might have happened--but didn't.

Also, Miscamble leaves open the door for numerous revisionist counter-arguments. What does it say for Roosevelt and Truman that they did not do more to integrate the developing scientific and military knowledge about nuclear weapons into America's grand strategy? Or that FDR took no steps to establish a set of firm policies that he could hand off to his successor? Or that Truman deferred the conduct of American foreign policy to Secretary of State James F. Byrnes, who viewed statesmanship from a politician's point of view? Or that Truman and Byrnes failed to appreciate the extent of Stalin's ambitions in Eastern Europe?

Moreover, while Miscamble is not as strident as Robert Maddox or D. M. Giangreco, his tone is significantly sharper than he intimates in his introductory remarks. In this respect, Miscamble repeats a significant misstep of the earlier debates over the Cold War as well as a common mistake in military historiography (upon which the crux of his argument relies). That is, he often crosses the line between "Here's the evidence that supports the efficacy of a controversial decision" into the netherworld of "[So and so] was right all along." The latter realm is not, IMO, the historians' domain.

Despite these and other concerns, I strongly recommend this work to those who want a brief overview of the ongoing historiographical debates over the decisions to use the atomic bombs, the end of the Pacific War, and the start of the Cold War, as well as to those who question the vitality of professional academic history.
Old 02-08-2012, 21:21   #917
Tweeder11
SF Candidate

Re-reading Awaken the Giant Within

I first went out and read this book after reading after seeing this in recommended reading in Major Joe Martin's book (please forgive me if he's been promoted since).

It's quickly become a favorite & IMHO not a bad book to digest every 6 months to a year.... depending on how many books you're putting away a month.

Tweeder
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19   #918
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Not book. Books.

Not hard reading, but not fluff either.

I am a big Shelby Foote fan. He was a Civil War expert. You probably saw him on Ken Burns Civil War special on PBS.

TR
I have all 3 books but have only finished the first. I should revisit them. Much more enjoyable than "The Battle Cry of Freedom".

I own and have watch Ken Burn's "The Civil War" a couple of times and every time I read Shelby Foote, I hear his great Mississippi drawl in my head.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 02-09-2012 at 07:30.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31   #919
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I just finished "The Mission, The Men, and Me".

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59   #920
Sigaba
Area Commander

Mr. Bond, have you met Mr. Bond?

Carte Blanche, Jeffery Deaver (New York and London: Simon and Schuster, 2011), ISBN-13: 978-1451620696.

One of the many benefits of "the new" military and diplomatic history is that its practitioners get to study mass popular culture. Consequently, every television show, movie, book, graphic novel, comic book, sound recording, and performance remotely related to warfare and/or to diplomacy counts as research.*

In Carte Blanche, commissioned by the estate of Ian Fleming, Jeffrey Deaver re-imagines James Bond in post 9/11 and 7/7 England as an operative of the Overseas Development Group (ODG), a reboot of the SOE, tasked to "...protect the Realm...by any means necessary" (32).

While Deaver's Bond has most of the traits in Fleming's and Gardner's Bond novels (I've avoided Benson's contributions), missing (at least so far) are his misogyny, his emotional cruelty, and his borderline sadism. (At times, there is little difference between Gardner's Bond and Cormac McCarthy's Anton Chigurh.) From a geopolitical standpoint, Deaver treats Islamic terrorism as but one challenge among many facing Great Britain's intelligence community. While I understand many of the reasons for such choices, I would have preferred a riskier approach--and better writing.
__________________________________________________ ________
* It isn't all fun and games. I have to watch movies directed by Michael Bay.
Old 02-15-2012, 20:29   #921
jw74
Guerrilla

The Profession, by Steven Pressfield.
I started with Gates of Fire and wanted to see what else the author had done. So far its very entertaining and doesnt have the same feel as any other novel of this genre.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34   #922
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Commando Extraordinary

I am reading a book I have been searching for for many years. It is the biography of the German Special Forces inaugurator Otto Skorzeny. What a story and what a man. He was responsible for the re-capture of Mussolini as well as the capture of Hungary regents son. He was responsible for the great confusion at the Battle of the Bulge and the rumour that he was tasked to capture Ike paralized the General for weeks. The Americans tried to hang him during the war crimes trials but he was vouched for both by British officers as well as Americans who admired him greatly. Written in 1953, the English is a bit old fashioned, but a very good read. What is interesting is that Skorzeny copied much of his modus operandi from the British Commandos, who in turn, copied their name and techniques from our own Boer Commandos who so impressed Churchill during the Boer War.
Old 02-18-2012, 22:39   #923
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

"THE APOSTLE"

A fiction novel by Brad Thor; Fantasy at its best, The USC grad has a vivid imagination, an ultra liberal view of what is possible in a war zone especialy by civillan contractors....TK
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04   #924
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

"American Sniper"........

Due to the kindness of Paslode(Drew) I've just received the book and I'm going to start reading it today....... When I'm finished I'll pass it on to whoever else may want it,just drop me a PM with you address details............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
Old 03-02-2012, 13:23   #925
Andruuc
Asset

Just read Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell. Finished it one sitting. Great writing about an Infantry platoon in A-Stan.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24   #926
Richard
Quiet Professional

Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic and Civil Wars: with the Supplementary Books attributed to Hirtius.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-04-2012, 16:38   #927
Susa
Guerrilla

Tales of a Pathfinder By A.L. Westgard 1920

From the forward:
"The story of the highways is the story of mankind, whether in a state of barbarism or of civilization. The movement of primitive peoples has been by waterways and land-routes which, following lines of least resistance, often appropriated the trails made by wild animals. The movements of civilized men likewise followed the least resistive lines with the result that the great railways and the National highways coincide with the game-trails and the Indian paths of long ago.
The ascent of man has been in direct ratio to the progress that has been made in the speed, safety, comfort and convenience of the movement of men and goods from one place to another. "
Old 03-07-2012, 23:44   #928
Rye
Asset

Behind Enemy Lines by Terry O'Farrell.

Over 40 missions as an Australian Special Air Service soldier behind enemy lines in Vietnam. Signaller, Scout and eventually Patrol Commander. Excellent read, amazing and yet touching life story.
Old 03-25-2012, 21:38   #929
akv
Area Commander

What it is like to go to war

What it is like to go to war - by Karl Marlantes

Mr. Marlantes is a Yale grad and Rhodes Scholar who won the Navy Cross as an USMC Infantry Officer in Vietnam, he writes of his experiences during and since with great eloquence and candor. While I don't agree with Mr. Marlantes politics, my $.02 there is a great deal to take away from this book, especially for the friends or family of combat veterans.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
Old 03-28-2012, 18:39   #930
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

SOG, by John Plaster. Never knew about what happened to Larry Thorne til I read this book. He's got another good one out called Secret Commandos, also about SOG.

Just ordered The Five Fingers for 2 bucks. Outstanding book.

Last edited by Dusty; 03-30-2012 at 16:40.
Closed Thread