Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-05-2011, 11:30   #1
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Did Muslim Lobby Force Firing of Popular Radio Host?

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/did-mu...ar-radio-host/

Washington, D.C. radio station WMAL is once again being accused of firing a popular talk show host because of his criticism of radical Muslims. The station, a major source of news and information for the nation’s capital, claims that popular morning host Fred Grandy resigned on his own, but Grandy tells AIM that he was essentially forced to leave after his wife, who is also outspoken about radical Islam, was cut from the program.

The growing controversy over Grandy’s departure has resulted in some Grandy supporters charging the station with being “Sharia-compliant,” a reference to Islamic law, and with bending under pressure from the Council on American Islamic-Relations (CAIR), a Muslim lobbying organization that combats what it calls “Islamophobia” in the media.

Grandy, a former actor and Republican member of Congress, told AIM, “My wife and I have used our program over the last several months to warn about the spread of radical Islam at home and abroad. Last week, Catherine (known on the show as Mrs. Fred) delivered a very tough indictment against stealth jihad, and for her efforts she was told she was off the show. I then told management without Mrs. Fred at the microphone, I could not remain either and have resigned effective this morning.”

Snip
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58   #2
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Fred Grandy
I guess his station didn't go for what he and his wife had to say.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 13:23   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
No, I think the Muslims didn't and steered the station to their perspective.

People prolly won't wake up and smell the coffee until everybody's wearing tablecloths, using dookie pots and stoning little girls.
Old 03-05-2011, 14:10   #4
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
No, I think the Muslims didn't and steered the station to their perspective.

People prolly won't wake up and smell the coffee until everybody's wearing tablecloths, using dookie pots and stoning little girls.
For the heck of it, I thought I'd purser the issue.

In terms of listeners, WMAL ranks 39th out of 49 stations in the Baltimore, MD area. Of the six area stations that have a news format (including news, news/talk, news/talk/sports, news/jazz, and jazz/news/talk), WMAL is last. Source is here.

I think a wise man put it well.
Quote:
"Follow the money".
Citadel Communications, WMAL's owner, is doing poorly and looking for a buyer. FWIW, the current front runner is Cumulus, a company
Quote:
known for slashing local personalities and going with syndicated hosts like Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, [and] Rush Limbaugh[.]*

Last edited by Sigaba; 03-05-2011 at 14:31. Reason: Verbs help. Sometimes.
Old 03-05-2011, 14:33   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
For the heck of it, I thought I'd purser the issue.
Gopher it!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 14:38   #6
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Gopher it!
Already did.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2011, 15:16   #7
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
In terms of listeners, WMAL ranks 39th out of 49 stations in the Baltimore, MD area. Of the six area stations that have a news format (including news, news/talk, news/talk/sports, news/jazz, and jazz/news/talk), WMAL is last.
Sounds like CAIR might be targeting the weakest fish in the pond. That would be a sound strategy on their part.

From the AIM piece:
Quote:
Grandy told AIM, “We cannot affirmatively conclude CAIR or any of the prominent Islamic organizations had anything to do with this. We do know, however, in 2005 representatives of CAIR in DC were successful in getting midmorning host Michael Graham fired for anti-Islamic statements he had made on the radio and TV.”
Graham was fired from WMAL after describing Islam as a “terrorist organization” on his program and refusing to apologize or modify the description.

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:30   #8
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
Entire post.
How sound is that "strategy" if Cumulus buys Citadel, then follows its established MO by letting go of the local on air talent and putting on syndicated personalities like Rush Limbaugh?

(Has anyone taken the time to do some cursory searching on Grandy's previous run ins with his former bosses and colleagues at WMAL? Are those incidents also the work of CAIR?)
Old 03-05-2011, 16:49   #9
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
(Has anyone taken the time to do some cursory searching on Grandy's previous run ins with his former bosses and colleagues at WMAL? Are those incidents also the work of CAIR?)
They may not be the work of CAIR, and I would not be inclined to suggest that they were, but those incidents could certainly be of enormous use to CAIR.

Quote:
How sound is that "strategy" if Cumulus buys Citadel, then follows its established MO by letting go of the local on air talent and putting on syndicated personalities like Rush Limbaugh?
WMAL already runs nationally syndicated hosts (Limbaugh, Hannity and Mark Levine) from noon to 9:00 P.M., when it brings up John Batchelor (also syndicated) till midnight, and then those ‘Coast To Coast‘ uh, individuals, till 3:00 A.M. How would Cumulus hope to improve on this broadcast schedule by following a formula of bringing in nationally syndicated talent? In any event, the possible sale makes the strategy of a campaign against Grandy both more attractive and more acute or time sensitive. A prospective seller does not want an embarrassing host in its line-up, or any other blemishes or controversy that might impede the sale, thus Grandy‘s vulnerability increases, making him a more attractive target.
As things stand, CAIR can claim a victory against Grandy, whether the sale takes place or not.

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 19:40   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
.... How would Cumulus hope to improve on this broadcast schedule by following a formula of bringing in nationally syndicated talent? ............
Cumulus tool over 640AM here in Fayetteville a few years back. Morning was local talk while the afternoon and nights were syndicated.

Cumulus took the 10 to noon slot and gave it to Boortz. OK - but axed the local team. A while back they axed the rest of the morning crew from 8 to 10 and gave it to the guy out of Wilmington.

So Cumulus does look to consolidate and cut corners

640AM used to get some heated talk going when Jeff, Wendy and Terry Jordan were on the air.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 19:44   #11
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
How would Cumulus hope to improve on this broadcast schedule by following a formula of bringing in nationally syndicated talent?
Is Cumulus's objective to improve the broadcast schedule of a single station or to increase its market share nationally, to lower costs and to increase revenue?
Old 03-05-2011, 20:15   #12
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Already did.
You misspelled it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 03-05-2011 at 20:39. Reason: Misspelled my own name! Geeeez
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 20:24   #13
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
You misspelled it.

Pfat
You're right. There was an Aaron my Spelling.

Richard, do you see where all of this is Goghing?