Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-17-2019, 21:39   #1
tonyz
Area Commander

Resistance movements - UW

Some late night reading material here.

“Unfolding world events are indicative of the need for SOF to maintain and enhance traditional unconventional warfare (UW) skills, but those skills must be assessed in the context of modern resistance movement dynamics. What changes must be made to education and training? How should doctrine be adjusted? How does the SOF community develop the next generation of UW warriors and leaders? This work will establish a foundation of knowledge upon which the reader may contemplate such questions.”

Support to Resistance: Strategic Purpose and Effectiveness
Will Irwin
Foreword by Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland, Jr. JSOU Report 19-2
April 2019

This monograph is the first in a planned series of three volumes that will provide Special Operations Forces (SOF) with an in-depth study of resistance movements. Mr. Will Irwin provides a wealth of case studies focused on the United States Government’s support to resistance movements. For each of his case studies the author summarizes in a clear, concise manner the duration of U.S. support, the political environments or conditions, the type of operation, the purpose or objective of U.S. support, and the ultimate outcome: success, partial success, failure, or an inconclusive outcome. Unfolding world events are indicative of the need for SOF to maintain and enhance traditional unconventional warfare (UW) skills, but those skills must be assessed in the context of modern resistance movement dynamics. This work will serve as a benchmark reference on resistance movements for the benefit of the special operations community and its civilian leadership.

https://jsou.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=48094050

link above worked for me...per request added this: https://jsou.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=48094050

Tested and worked...both links should bring you to the piece - hope this helps TJ.

Just in case...added this one: https://jsou.libguides.com/jsoupublications/2019

Tested and works also...and provides link to previous publications.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 05-18-2019 at 08:27.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:21   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

The link just brings me back to this post. Please correct. I want to check this out as a possible addition to my library. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Link worked for me.....

If you want it here it is...

JSOU19-2_Irwin_Resistance1_final-1.pdf
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33   #4
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:44   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Thanks
Always good to find a soft library with downloadable PDF files .

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 16:15   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Cool, I've got his book on The Jedburghs right here on the shelf (a worthy read).
Thanks Tony.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:30   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Thanks
Always good to find a soft library with downloadable PDF files .
Update: Interrupted another read & went through this Support to Resistance (STR) volume under discussion. Thorough, for its stated scope. Very well done & extremely well foot-noted as to sources. Another good one from a QP author I've read before.

All the usual suspects are discussed, and many that some may not be familiar with, engendering a "... hunh, OSS or Army SF was there too??? What d'ya know?"

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 00:34   #8
Flagg
Area Commander

Great read.

It adds some quick context I’ve never read before about a few operating environments.

Maybe I’m a bit biased after reading “A Covert Action” by Seth Jones as well as a bunch of stuff by OTPOR/CANVAS activist Srđa Popović, but I’m guessing successful future UW/resistance in the future is going to have less kinetics and more distributed non attributable technology, “less guerilla” “more underground/auxiliary”.

Khomeini cassettes, on steroids.

And the much more open western coalition is much more vulnerable to it than the much more closed eastern cabal.

China, Russia, and Iran have been locking down their internet to mitigate against it being used as a UW platform for political warfare/dissent.

QRHELPFUL was “right place,right time,right local partner”, subtle, and cheap.

Unfortunately, it feels like we are currently on the receiving(disruption) end of exactly that.

Digital platforms as both offensive and defensive political/unconventional warfare tools is clearly a growth opportunity with massive attack surface potential.
——-

I’ve lived long enough to learn a small slice of DET-A on here.

I hope I live long enough to find out if there’s anymore to the intelligence take story of the October 1961 PLA deputy brigade commander ambush in Tibet as found in the source.

Great Leap Forward economic disaster
Fracture between China/USSR
Inability to seize Taiwan
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote