Old 06-25-2011, 11:04   #1
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Pics to Share

Here are a few pics from my deployment to Guantanamo Bay in 2008. The fish in the cooler are Cubera Snapper. One was about 50 lbs and the other was about 40 lbs. "Before" and "After" are Black Tip shark. Honestly, it was difficult to consider GTMO a deployment. The only bad thing about it was being away from my family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubera Snapper.jpg (174.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (80.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (165.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25   #2
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Here are a few pics from my deployment to Guantanamo Bay in 2008. The fish in the cooler are Cubera Snapper. One was about 50 lbs and the other was about 40 lbs. "Before" and "After" are Black Tip shark. Honestly, it was difficult to consider GTMO a deployment. The only bad thing about it was being away from my family.
Nice.

Had a similar experience in Florida, took a few Black Tip sharks, not much different in size. Was standing in a Klepper Kayak using a barrowed compound bow with fishing real. The sharks were fishing the river inlets.

We were out paddling, goofing off when a local came by hunting, looked like fun, we joined in.
Old 06-25-2011, 13:06   #3
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Those sharks sure smelled aweful when we cleaned them. We learned the hard way not to do it indoors. It smelled like someone took a dump on the floor. They tasted good though.
Old 06-25-2011, 15:34   #4
mojaveman
Area Commander

No chips to go with the fish?

What were you using for bait when you caught the Blacktip?
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 18:34   #5
Penn
Area Commander

LOL, I love that picture progression...Shark....Cooked
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32   #6
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
No chips to go with the fish?

What were you using for bait when you caught the Blacktip?
I have to admit that I was not the person who caught them, but the bait was live herring. That was the bait used for the snapper, too.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41   #7
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Here's another treat we were able to pull from the waters of Guantanamo Bay. And yes, we had beer with them. No GO #1 down there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Crab.jpg (247.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 06-26-2011, 03:47   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Those sharks sure smelled aweful when we cleaned them. We learned the hard way not to do it indoors. It smelled like someone took a dump on the floor. They tasted good though.
Any Shark caught for food, needs to be gutted, cleaned, and iced immediately. They release bodily fluids thru their skin and the ammonia will ruin the meat. It will also taint any other fish they lay against, so you need to ice them separately. If you are on the hook, gut them and rinse the carcass over the side..

The black Tip (Spinner) is a fantastic, very light flavor, firm textured white meat. It stands up well on the grill or in stews and soups. Also smokes well..

Additionally, They are very acrobatic on the line and fun to catch..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_ft0111.jpg (53.7 KB, 131 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:43   #9
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Any Shark caught for food, needs to be gutted, cleaned, and iced immediately. They release bodily fluids thru their skin and the ammonia will ruin the meat. It will also taint any other fish they lay against, so you need to ice them separately. If you are on the hook, gut them and rinse the carcass over the side..
I wish I knew about that back then. Since I live in New Mexico, I doubt I will get to fish for sharks again.

This pic is of the Cubera I caught in GTMO. It shows the teeth well. This one was about 40lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubera Snapper 40lb.jpg (131.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
I wish I knew about that back then. Since I live in New Mexico, I doubt I will get to fish for sharks again.

This pic is of the Cubera I caught in GTMO. It shows the teeth well. This one was about 40lbs.

Looks like fun,, Never caught one, they tend to hang in the deep water, 20-25 miles off shore. So if we are that far out we are trolling for dolphin. The Snapper and Grouper are only 5-7 miles away..

The Spinner was caught 1 mile off the North end of BKP in a 25 ft bomb crater in Spanish channel. Along with a bunch of Spanish Mackerel, Jacks, and a few Snapper.. This was December fishing, when the water cools to the low 60t's.. That's why I had the sweatshirt on.. Very Cold Weather..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_FT0112.jpg (86.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_FT0113.jpg (106.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_FT0114.jpg (96.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_FT0115.jpg (92.3 KB, 104 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30   #11
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Looks like fun,, Never caught one, they tend to hang in the deep water, 20-25 miles off shore. So if we are that far out we are trolling for dolphin. The Snapper and Grouper are only 5-7 miles away..
We were catching them in the mouth of the river close to where it enters the bay. We just hooked a live herring through the back, tossed them out and let them swim. You could tell when something was nearby because the herring would start to run. Once the fish took the herring, it would just stip out line for a while. We had to follow with the boat and try to keep them from going to the bottom where they could tangle our lines in debris. We caught several species this way, including Tarpon.
Old 06-26-2011, 19:57   #12
Retiredfire
Asset

snapper

those cubera look outstanding. They are caught (not by me) her in SE FL. guys will use lobster for them. Have caught the black tips but never ate them. good work.
Retiredfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 18:01   #13
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

I watched a TV show on grilling and they had 2 big cuberas cut open an on the grill. They put a rub on it, grilled and that thing looked great.

<*)))))>{
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36   #14
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

We made seviche (spelled wrong I am sure), batter fried it, made steaks, etc. It was all great! There's nothing like good fish straight from the sea. That is one deployment I would do again if I got the chance.