Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 05-12-2010, 18:27   #1
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

FISH and Wounded Warriors

F.I.S.H.
Fishermen in Support of Heroes

Wednesday May 5th, 2010

Well we did it! Took 10 Heroes out for the 4th Annual Wounded Warriors Hit the Pier Fishing Trip. Great Day of fishing was had by all. Thanks to my Board members and the volunteers Tim(NCPierman) Taramelli, Billy(Ice Creamman ) Manger, Bobby Parker and Billy Hobbs. Big thanks to Greg Ludlum owner of the Sea View Pier.

First thing in the morning when the Warriors got there at 0900 there was a significant mud/tide line that kept the blues and spanish away. A few mullet were being caught but the fishing was slow. With a high tide at 1400 the water noticably started clearing about 1200 and the blues started biting about 1245. For the day our 10 heroes caught app. 75 blues and kept 50, 7 mullet and kept 4, 3 spanish and kept 1. You can also toss in the caught but released pile a shark or two and several cow-nosed rays.

Here are a few pics of todays activities. Rod/reels/tackle packs and totes were donated for them young warriors and they now have there own fishing equipment.

Last edited by Habu-MFFI 175; 05-12-2010 at 18:42.
Habu-MFFI 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:29   #2
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Old 05-12-2010, 18:35   #3
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

A great day on the water.

<*)))))>{
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Fantastic,, Congratulation to you & the team,, Job well done...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:44   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Here's your website. http://www.fishheroes.org/
We can help too!

"Currently we can only accept contributions via cash, check or money order." Please send to the address below:
F.I.S.H.
P.O. Box 292
Hubert, NC 28539 Thanks
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:24   #6
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

FISH

Thanks Dozer for posting. We can always use support for our brothers at arms.

Please check out our website and see what we are all about. We are helping our Wounded Warriors get out and have a great day on the water. We are fortunate to have a lot of fishermen in eastern NC that also help by taking these guys out on fishing trips. It maybe from inshore fishing for red drum, speckled trout and flounder, or it maybe an offshore trip chasing dolphin (mahi mahi), wahoo or king mackeral. All the WW has to do is get to the boat ramp area and the rest is a free day of fishing.

Thanks to all that take the time to check us out and help.

Also check out.... www.militaryappreciationday.org

Habu
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51   #7
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Great Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu-MFFI 175 View Post
F.I.S.H.
Fishermen in Support of Heroes

Wednesday May 5th, 2010

Well we did it! Took 10 Heroes out for the 4th Annual Wounded Warriors Hit the Pier Fishing Trip. Great Day of fishing was had by all. Thanks to my Board members and the volunteers Tim(NCPierman) Taramelli, Billy(Ice Creamman ) Manger, Bobby Parker and Billy Hobbs. Big thanks to Greg Ludlum owner of the Sea View Pier.

First thing in the morning when the Warriors got there at 0900 there was a significant mud/tide line that kept the blues and spanish away. A few mullet were being caught but the fishing was slow. With a high tide at 1400 the water noticably started clearing about 1200 and the blues started biting about 1245. For the day our 10 heroes caught app. 75 blues and kept 50, 7 mullet and kept 4, 3 spanish and kept 1. You can also toss in the caught but released pile a shark or two and several cow-nosed rays.

Here are a few pics of todays activities. Rod/reels/tackle packs and totes were donated for them young warriors and they now have there own fishing equipment.

Many years ago a wise old prior SOG FOB 2 Major/Korean War POW (1,000 days) etc. told me to go fishing after I got out of Womack from two GSW's.

Fishing is the best medicine I know of for wounded soldiers. It does not matter whether it is salt water, a lake , or a stream/river. Water has a calming effect especially if you can get away from the crowd.

I commend you for all you are doing. I had offered to help with Project Healing Waters, but; the trips they plan are extremely extravagant IMO. The fresh air and getting totally away from the crowd even on a local stream has always helped.

Thanks for all you are doing to help the wounded. Pier fishing is a great day, too. Thanks.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:35   #8
Nightfall
Guerrilla

That's fantastic!

Is there any groups you guys know of like this in the Mississippi Delta area? I overheard a conversation at the local pro-shop about teaching fly fishing to wounded vets here at the Memphis VA, but there was something about the guy (retired Navy brass) who was going to teach it was going through chemo himself and wasn't allowed to due to his condition. I was going to attempt to butt in but I didn't want to be rude and conversation took a solem turn. I'd love to get involved in something like this.
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote