Old 05-04-2011, 16:36   #1
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Cabin on a lake

I am looking for a vacation spot in NC. Looking for a Cabin on a Lake. Doesn't matter if there are others next to me. Nothing Fancy. Just a place I can wake up. Walk to my Canoe and go fly fishing. Or a good Camping area around a Lake would work. I'm in Wilmington.
Old 05-04-2011, 18:17   #2
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

If you don't mind South Carolina.. A nice Two Bedroom Cabin in private lake front community on Keowee Lake.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:49   #3
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I dont mind driving. I live near the beach so ill have to drive some. I just hate camping on the beach. Ill look up the place you mentioned, thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57   #4
ArchAngel4200
Asset

Check out Lake Lure, nice little vacation area with Chimney Rock Park & the Rocky Broad River near by.
ArchAngel4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08   #5
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Prices ought to be good for Lake Keowee ( although there are some high end developments), Things were over built out this way and banks own many homes or others looking to sell, should definitely be a buyers market. If you look there check out Lake JoCassee just up from Keowee it is one of the nicest lakes in the country in my opinion ( not many houses on that lake though). Lake Keowee is a skinny long Lake with lots of power boats, not so much for Lake Jo Cassee. Lake Hartwell out of Clemson, SC is a large lake below Keowee.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 15:13   #6
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

That lake lure is what I'm looking for. Thats perfect. Anyone ever stay in one of these. Just hope they have a Canoe you can have with the Cabin.

http://www.lake-lure.com/Cabins.htm
Old 05-05-2011, 15:30   #7
ArchAngel4200
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
That lake lure is what I'm looking for. Thats perfect. Anyone ever stay in one of these. Just hope they have a Canoe you can have with the Cabin.

http://www.lake-lure.com/Cabins.htm
I haven't stayed in those particular cabins but the other ones I've rented in the area are all pretty much the same... nothing fancy but they have running water. I would compare the ones I have stayed in with the "something old" cabins on that website.

As far as canoes, there is a rental place right there in town by the lake.

Also worth noting, Bat Cave is the largest fissure cave in North America and is just 3-4 miles up the road from Lake Lure.
Old 05-05-2011, 15:50   #8
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
If you don't mind South Carolina.. A nice Two Bedroom Cabin in private lake front community on Keowee Lake.
Does it require one to sit through a "short" 90 min presentation on other opportunities to enjoy various properties worldwide?

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 15:57   #9
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel4200 View Post
I haven't stayed in those particular cabins but the other ones I've rented in the area are all pretty much the same... nothing fancy but they have running water. I would compare the ones I have stayed in with the "something old" cabins on that website.

Also worth noting, Bat Cave is the largest fissure cave in North America and is just 3-4 miles up the road from Lake Lure.
I too have stayed in a Cabin area there just off the bend on the HWY leading into Lake Lure while climbing at Chimney Rock SP. Nice Area, summer time it does get busy with people coming in for the weekends. During the week are better, lake and SP aren't as busy. Lake Lure Town now has a nice Restaurant overlooking the lake for evening Brown Pops. I like this Lake and Black Mounatin area too.

PM on SC cabin too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 16:29   #10
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Understand you are looking at Lake Lure

Lake JoCassee just for reference http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...5/lodging.aspx Devils Fork State Park, S.C.

The Lake is man made, old Camp JoCassee is 300' below the surface now. The lake is near the Eastern Divide and is a clear deep Mt. lake with several large fingers where rivers come into the lake and is surrounded by mountains. I believe it is 27 miles from the main put-in to the back of the NC side. NC opened up a park on their end a few years back...I am more familiar with the Devils Fork put-ins, cabins and park. know of some 17' Wilderness System, Sealutions if needed
http://www.google.com/search?q=Lake%...w=1280&bih=574 Images
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/gorg/main.php N.C. Gorges State Park

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 10-09-2015 at 15:38.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 16:14   #11
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel4200 View Post

Is there a web sight for those other Cabins. The ones in the link are kind of fancy. I won't be spending much time inside. Something more rustic would fit us better, probably cheaper also. Heading to lake Waccamaw NC next weekend for three days. Camp site right next to the lake. Have to ruff it in a Tent and Air Mattress thou
Ill post a small review when I get back.
Old 05-10-2011, 17:38   #12
ArchAngel4200
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Is there a web sight for those other Cabins. The ones in the link are kind of fancy. I won't be spending much time inside. Something more rustic would fit us better, probably cheaper also. Heading to lake Waccamaw NC next weekend for three days. Camp site right next to the lake. Have to ruff it in a Tent and Air Mattress thou
Ill post a small review when I get back.
The only website I can find is for some cabins I haven't stayed in, just driven by. They are a bit cheaper, as far as how rustic I am not sure. http://www.riverviewcabins.com/

There are lots of small places though with both cabins and riverside hotel rooms that are pretty rustic. If I were you I would call the cider house or one of the local real estate agents who can give you a much better idea of whats available since its been a few years since I have been there myself.

The cabins we used to rent were about 500 sq ft, 1 bedroom, living room and a bathroom with the kitchen being off the side of the living room. There is a string of 8 or 10 of them on the ride side of highway 9 right after highway 9 separates from highway 74 and heads north out of Bat Cave.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2011, 19:26   #13
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Understand you are looking at Lake Lure

Lake JoCassee just for reference http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...5/lodging.aspx Devils Fork State Park, S.C.

The Lake is man made, old Camp JoCassee is 300' below the surface now. The lake is near the Eastern Divide and is a clear deep Mt. lake with several large fingers where rivers come into the lake and is surrounded by mountains. I believe it is 27 miles from the main put-in to the back of the NC side. NC opened up a park on their end a few years back...I am more familiar with the Devils Fork put-ins, cabins and park. know of some 17' Wilderness System, Sealutions if needed
http://www.google.com/search?q=Lake%...w=1280&bih=574 Images
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/gorg/main.php N.C. Gorges State Park

Have to agree about Lake Jocassee. Really beautiful place. Devils Fork also has rental cabins. I've done the campground there several times; it's also a great place to do deep dives IF you have the technical experience/equipment (it's clear as air and really cold below 200' ). If you don't feel like driving that far check out Cheraw State Park in Cheraw, SC. They've also got campgrounds and cabins, the lake has good bass and panfish and there's also championship golf. Swing by here and we'll loan you the canoe (if the rugrats in the "Q" aren't using it ). SC does right by their state parks.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:11   #14
Penn
Area Commander

This requires some drive time..., but its pristine and affordable www.tidalcottages.com

We have stay there and are returning 4July; its that good.

of the three we stayed in the one on your Military right. They are all a bit Spartan, but authentic converted fish shacks.

Last edited by Penn; 05-10-2011 at 22:16.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 17:37   #15
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Camped on Lake Waccamaw NC for three days. Awsome place. Lake has a clay bottom. You can wade out over 200 meters. Perfect for fly fishing. You drive your vehicle to your camp site to unload. But then you have to park it. Only about a mile away.