Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 04-20-2008, 09:49   #1
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Fly Fishing for Trout in the North East

Any stories on the best streams. From the Au Sable to the Battenkill, and anything in between.

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59   #2
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Any stories on the best streams. From the Au Sable to the Battenkill, and anything in between.

Ive got alot of time fly fishing and canoeing on the main and north branch of the Au Sable, but the one in Michigan.

All the time I spent in NY I never did any trout fishing, still trying to get my 18th Century fly fishing kit together.
Old 04-20-2008, 14:58   #3
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Have you ever stayed at the Au Sable Lodge? Any Comments on it if you have?

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Old 05-21-2008, 16:09   #4
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rouge

This is real dated, but the fish don't know it. I was stationed @ PAFB 73-75. Always had fishing gear in the trunk. Fished the Saranac, Bouquette (sp) and Ausable. Loved fishing Union Falls which was at the head waters of the Saranac; bit of the flow dammed off in a beautiful setting. At that time about 10 miles of the Saranac was trophy fishing, as was much of the Ausable near the base. Lake Champlain was great for Northern Pike and Walleye. The mouth of the Saranac was the best for Walleye when they were running.

Living at the base, never had to look for lodging. Union Falls had some cabins and space for campers. Great resturant then was The Royal Savage south of the base on Rt 9.

I'd love to go back there to fish. Let me know what you find.

Jim
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 17:34   #5
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Planning to take me father to the Gates Lodge on the AuSable after Labor Day. Will gladly report on the trip once we get back. The "old" guy is looking forward to it. Then again, so am I.

Old 05-21-2008, 17:48   #6
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

NW PA

North Western PA has some very good trout fishing and parts of Oil Creek and Sandy Creek (Venango County) have designated flyfishing only areas.
Old 05-21-2008, 18:01   #7
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rouge,

Sounds like a great trip. Best of luck!

Jim
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 18:52   #8
takeumnow
Asset

I fish the upper Manistee in Michigan frequently, its fly's only and has some nice browns. The section I fish is behind camp Grayling, Portage creek holds some monsters, it's located next to some of the ranges so people stay away from it, I will be there this weekend.

Last edited by takeumnow; 05-21-2008 at 21:23.
takeumnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 19:03   #9
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I use to Fish the Deer field River in Western Mass. Also many weekend trips to the Aligash (spelled wrong) in Maine.
Now that I am in the South it's Bream in the Pond behind my house. Fly Fishing is great no matter what the Fish thou.
Old 05-21-2008, 19:15   #10
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I used to fly fish the White River in Vermont. Had a lot of luck with browns and brookies. The Third Branch of the White River that runs through my town here produces some good sized browns. I'm not allowed on the Battenkill because my kit consists of jungle fatiques, patrol cap, jungle boots, and an old ammo vest converted for fly fishing. You have to be decked out in the latest and finest Eddie Bauer/LL Bean togs to be acceptable to those that venture into tourist hell.
Old 05-26-2008, 16:17   #11
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
I used to fly fish the White River in Vermont. Had a lot of luck with browns and brookies. The Third Branch of the White River that runs through my town here produces some good sized browns. I'm not allowed on the Battenkill because my kit consists of jungle fatiques, patrol cap, jungle boots, and an old ammo vest converted for fly fishing. You have to be decked out in the latest and finest Eddie Bauer/LL Bean togs to be acceptable to those that venture into tourist hell.
Hopefully I'll have enough time this year to give those fish a chance at a fly this summer when I'm up in your AO later this summer with the family visiting my folks. Been meaning to do that for years, but time is always in short supply when spending time with parents that get older every year...
Old 05-26-2008, 17:39   #12
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
Jack
Have you ever been to Ashfield lake in Western Mass. My Family has a Cabin on he Lake there. I use to spend Summers fishing on the Lake and the nearby Deerfield River.
Old 05-26-2008, 18:50   #13
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
*Have you ever been to Ashfield lake in Western Mass. My Family has a Cabin on he Lake there. I use to spend Summers fishing on the Lake and the nearby Deerfield River.
No, but I have driven through that area-beautiful country.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48   #14
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Fly Fish MI

I got to hit the Au Sable and other streams around Grayling last year during the Hex, hatch. Great times and good chances at 20 in plus browns in the evenings, great streams, people and fish. And there is a bar in the middle of Grayling that has the best burgers at 1 am....
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote