Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 07-25-2005, 18:05   #46
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Nope, I've had it for years. Methinks it was around 1985 when I bought it.
just wondering...previous post was pert-nigh a year and a half ago...

don't know that i have a favorite handgun...never cared much for the M9, never was all that good with the 1911...i have a Ruger Redhawk in .44RM and a P90 just so i can have an autoloader...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 18:07   #47
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Nope, I've had it for years. Methinks it was around 1985 when I bought it.
Nice pistol, Doc!

I had a Bren 10 and now have a Para Ordnance in 10mm.

Great round till the Feebs ruined it. 10mm (-P)

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 18:43   #48
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Dang so many hand guns so little time. 10mm is a great round, I have a glock in it, Then there is 41 AE, and OH!! yes 45's .. Just bought a compact colt 1911. 38 Super another good one.

IMHO, the right tool for the Job is the best hand gun. I think I need to own a few more, to think in gun shops there are lonely hand guns looking for a good home. My oldest hand gun is a New model #3 S&W in 44 russian, a fun hand gun to shoot. While I don't think I would take it into combat, It is fun to own.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 19:52   #49
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Favorite Pistol

I was thinking about this one today while returning from some KD work with some great NCOs and Officers out of 4 Squadron 2 CR (SBCT).

Perhaps most of us had to deal with the 1911 in the Army. I figure we got used to them because most of us continue to like them. I certainly do and was shooting mine yesterday in fact.

The Army never expected the 9mm to be used I figure, and low and behold -- it is being used in Iraq much more than just for personal defense. And low and behold -- all the problems we faced with the Berettas are coming home to roost. And low and behold -- the guys using them say that the 9mm sucks. So the Army is now looking for another cartridge. I doubt it will be the .45. Probably a .40 or 10mm. No doubt it will turn into an abortion like that SOCOM pistol thing of ten plus years ago.

Favorite pistol? 1911 frame. Why? It fits my hand and I have been shooting one for about thirty years. My 1911 has a good .45 top end on it, a exceptional comped .38 Super top end for it, and even a (believe it or not), 9mm top end for the same frame. Why the 9mm? Because when we train fellows with the Beretta I can tap into the ammunition and do some shooting. Of the three cartriges however, I have the most confidence with the .45 ACP. Why? Shots go to my calls every single time.

I guess that the generation of the Beretta will probably say they love the Berretta design -- probably not the 9mm cartridge. They are used to shooting the Beretta just like we got used to shooting the 1911.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 19:53   #50
Spartan359
Guerrilla

Walther P-99 .40cal. Never was to fond of the 9mm. Anyone else fired one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P99_Bed_titel.jpg (4.0 KB, 59 views)

-Isaiah 6:8
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 19:54   #51
alphamale

I am at one with my snubbies. ::meditative hum::

FrontSight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r342_resize.jpg (65.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg J-Frame cropped_resize.jpg (132.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg j-frame-sight_resize.jpg (109.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 342-pillow_resize.jpg (167.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by alphamale; 07-25-2005 at 20:00.
Old 07-25-2005, 20:24   #52
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I carried, and still do, a Browning HiPower in 9mm. I have shot a LOT of folks with it, and I do need to qualify that it was with "non standard ammo", using '69-'71 vintage SuperVel ammunition. Granted, this was early generation "Hollow Cavity" stuff, but it put them down. Shot placement always comes into play, and if you can't shoot what you are carrying, while under STRESS, then unless it is an "Area" weapon, it dosen't matter what the caliber is !!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 21:27   #53
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Kimber 1911 full size.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 22:50   #54
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
I am at one with my snubbies. ::meditative hum::

FrontSight

You know, you sure do squawk a lot about Dots to have such a small one on your Front sight.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 23:36   #55
Tubbs
Guerrilla

...and the Lord said, "Let there be Sig's"

Put my money on a Sig 228, Houge grips and 15rnd MecGar mags loaded with Speer Gold Dots. If you know how to put the little bullets where they need to be you don't need big bullets.

"When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk with a gun in my hand wearing a bullet proof vest, singing my oh my how the time must fly when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night..."
Old 07-26-2005, 00:30   #56
Viking
Quiet Professional

Kimber TLE/RL II. I wish I had it with me right now. Damn M9.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58   #57
mfos2
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
HK USP.45

I agree I love my HK. My Browning Hi Power is number two.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:03   #58
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
Kimber TLE/RL II. I wish I had it with me right now. Damn M9.
Glad to hear you got it. Also glad to hear you like it.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:40   #59
KBAR_O4
Asset

My Colt Combat Commander 45 I purchased in 1977. I have a Kimber fullsize 45 as well, but like the Commander for the rare occasions I carry an auto these days. Since most of our trouble up here is with 4 legged pests, vice two leggers, I usually carry my Winchester 1886 SRC in 45-70, backed up by my Ruger old model Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
KBAR_O4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 13:46   #60
Guy
Quiet Professional

Glock-17/9mm

I was just on the range with some folks...

If the military switches back to .45...Start investing money!

Take care.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote