Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-14-2012, 00:15   #1
einherjar
SF Candidate

Custom Hydration Bladder

I'm am struggling to find a hydration bladder that is both durable and practical (works well with body armor/kit).

The camelbak style hydration systems have qualities I like. The hoses keep a water source easily accessible, mostly hands free while being located out of the way and in an ergonomic carry position. They come in a variety of volumes and most packs have pouches supports and house routing accomadations built in.

However, they leak (in my experience they can develop holes from abrasion and from pinching when under heavy compression). And the standard long vertical shape, while good for many rucks, doesn't work very well on a ballistic vest or plate carrier.

I recently found bladders by MSR made of 200D cordura. The weight of the fabric looks like the sweet spot of durability, flexability and weight. However, their shape is still long, narrow and vertically oriented. It wastes a great deal of valuable space.

Also, the bulky caps on most bladders don't work very well in a kit application. The zipper style fills solve that issue and are easier to clean. But, I don't know if they hold up against pressure as well as the cap style bladders.

The ideal solution would be a zip top bladder made of the more durable cordura material in a shape (similar to a ballistic plate) that made better use of the space.

I haven't seen anything like that available. Making one might be the only option.

I've found some suppliers that have some promising looking materials:

Both seattlefabrics.com and rockywoods.com have some heat sealable nylon from 30D all the way up to 430D.

If I could find the right material for the bladder I might be able to cannibalize the hose port from one of my bladders that already has a hole in it.

Also, I have never worked these kinds of materials before. To anyone with experience: some pointers and tool suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hydration Bladder Shape.jpg (38.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg MSR Bladder.jpg (14.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Low Profile Zip Tops.jpg (55.3 KB, 51 views)
einherjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 17:07   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like the Platypus.

The zip tops are very easy to fill, but I have not abused them by putting them into my ruck filled and then dropping the ruck, like you would on a lowering line. Not sure of the durability and water retention under those circumstances.

For regular hiking, they work great and with the right connections, can be used with the MSR water purification kit.

MSR makes some good gear.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 18:36   #3
cant hardly
Asset

pre-camelback

Last edited by cant hardly; 07-26-2022 at 18:19.
cant hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 18:49   #4
NoTime89
Asset

This might work

Durable and relatively inexpensive (on sale). Comparable are 2x.

http://source-military.com/packs/81-dagger-3l.html
NoTime89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 15:07   #5
militarymoron
Guerrilla

2nd the recommendation on source. source makes a plate-shaped bladder that actually fits in plate pockets:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...r.html#source2
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote