Old 08-04-2009, 19:58   #1
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

socks

im used to either army green wool, thorlo or white athletic socksfor wear with military boots. After last weekend I decided I need something new.
Any suggestions for a warm weather ankle sock for wear with light weight low hike shoes, mainly town wear. Im looking for a good combination of cool, wicking and cushion
I looked at the under armor and 5:11 just want some info from someone that has used something like these.
help?

Last edited by JoeyB; 08-04-2009 at 20:11.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 20:12   #2
Books
Quiet Professional

If you're going for gucci socks, check out Smart Wool. They have some nice light weight ankle/runner socks which, believe it or not, are pretty darn nice in the warm.

- Jack Moroney
Old 08-04-2009, 21:19   #3
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Ever Try Wrightsocks?

I just got back from a week of backpacking in Yosemite National Park - which was awesome and highly recommended. I wore only Wrightsocks. These are my usual running socks, but after developing blisters with a pair of Wigwams when hiking, the Wrightsocks are now my personal preference. The sweet thing about them is that they are double layer which helps cut down on friction and blisters. And while I cannot comment on them for use with SF/SOF applications, my feet were awesome.

You can check out the website at http://www.wrightsock.com as there are a number of different models. The ones I used were entirely synthetic (Style 566- Crew) so they tended to smell something bad after a few days. Wrightsock does make models that are made from natural fabrics and are designed more for hiking; however I do not have any experience with these socks. Best of luck!
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 18:23   #4
11Ber
Quiet Professional

I am a staunch supporter of Fox River
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47   #5
archade
Asset

I highly recommand Lorpen company.

http://www.lorpen.com/lorpen-na/

If you need report from the tactical serie I could give you my advice on those products.

My €.02

"We are the only country the order to make alot with nothing can be given without laughing "
archade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:22   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Wigwam (formerly Ingenius).

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:23   #7
exsquid
Quiet Professional

My suggestion is wool, wool, or wool. Yeah, synthetics like Thorlo & Fox River hold up well and are comfortable, but wool breaths better & is healthier for your feet. Smart Wool is my preferred brand.

x/S
Old 08-09-2009, 18:39   #8
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
im used to either army green wool, thorlo or white athletic socksfor wear with military boots. After last weekend I decided I need something new.
Any suggestions for a warm weather ankle sock for wear with light weight low hike shoes, mainly town wear. Im looking for a good combination of cool, wicking and cushion
I looked at the under armor and 5:11 just want some info from someone that has used something like these.
help?
Drymax Socks.(for running) I swear by them. At least 4 Marine Corps Marathons and 2 JFK 50 Ultras and NOT ONE BLISTER.

Info here:
http://www.drymaxsocks.com/

Best Price I've found here:
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1042/

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 08-10-2009 at 09:27.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 00:06   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Smart Wool without question for anything in boots and Drymax for PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 21:02   #10
kimberly
Guerrilla

"Darn Tough" Vermont socks make tactical (military, law enforcement)socks, ski, hiking, etc..

My daughter has 3 pair of military seconds (We live near the factory and they have a huge seconds sale of all their socks every fall). She wore them under her work boots when she was on a work crew through VYCC (Vermont Youth Conservation Corps). They are very thick and durable.
kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 20:24   #11
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Need socks

1. I have officially worn out every pair of army issue green or black wool socks I was ever issued or purchased at clothing and sales. Bad.
Can't find replacements in my AO. Bad-er.

Need recommendations for replacements for hunting in moderate(down to freezing) weather. Will be covering a lot of ground with my leather personnel carriers. Definately need wicking ability. Don't want to pay a gajillion dollars for one freaking pair of socks.

2. Need a recommendation for socks for intermediate distance(less than 13 miles) trail running. Unimproved trails. Often crossing water. Also, will be doing own laundry, so must not be white. Same price conditions as above.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15   #12
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
1. I have officially worn out every pair of army issue green or black wool socks I was ever issued or purchased at clothing and sales. Bad.
Can't find replacements in my AO. Bad-er.
PM me and I'll send you some. I have a whole bag full that I kept just for "packing lists". :-)
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:31   #13
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

+1 for Wigwam and Smartwool. I like both.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 20:43   #14
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I like the smartwool.

Never wore the others. (other than the issue green/black ones).
Old 04-21-2010, 21:18   #15
Koa18B
Asset

gotta agree on the wigwam's they work are functional and last longer then most.