Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 01-03-2012, 05:40   #1
wmaousley
Asset

Man arrested with explosives at airport was Army expert

http://news.yahoo.com/man-arrested-e...001817371.html

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A man arrested on New Years Eve at a Texas airport with explosives is an Army-trained demolitions expert and member of the elite Green Berets who served in Afghanistan and is stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, military officials said on Monday.

Trey Scott Atwater, 30, was being held in the Midland, Texas County Jail on a federal charge of attempting to board an aircraft with an explosive, the FBI said.

He was detained after a routine Transportation Security Administration (TSA) check noticed he had explosives in his carry on luggage while trying to board an American Eagle flight from Midland International Airport to Dallas Saturday morning, according to an FBI statement.

Officials declined to speculate on the reason Atwater had the explosives, which city officials said were in "military grade explosives wrapping" in his bag.

"At no time was there any danger to the people at Midland International Airport or the people of Midland Texas," Mark Morgan, Special Agent in Charge of the El Paso office of the FBI said in a statement.

Michael Martinez, an FBI spokesman in El Paso, declined to say what type of explosive he was carrying, or the quantity of the explosive. It is not known whether he was in uniform at the time. Records show Atwater is a 1999 graduate of a Midland, Texas high school.

The address listed for Atwater in the Midland jail records is the home of Bonnie Atwater, Trey's mother. A woman who identified herself as Bonnie Atwater at that address told Reuters "I have no comment," and then hung up the phone.

Lt. Col. Tom Bryant, a spokesman for Army Special Operations Command at Ft. Bragg confirmed that Atwater is an Army Sergeant First Class in the elite Green Berets, assigned as an instructor at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Ft. Bragg, where he is a member of the Special Forces Engineers.

Bryant told Reuters on Monday Atwater is an engineering and demolitions expert, and in that role would be "comfortable" with explosives, although he did not know whether he would have had explosives on his trip back home to Midland.

"I can't say if that might have been required," Bryant said.

Bryant confirmed that Atwater recently returned from deployment to Afghanistan. A notice in the Odessa American newspaper in March of 2010 said at that time Atwater was preparing for his third deployment to Afghanistan.

Bryant said Atwater's arrest had surprised military personnel at Ft. Bragg.

"We in the Special Operations Command take pride in upholding the highest standards. The entire team is disappointed," Bryant said.

The Army is cooperating with the FBI and local authorities in Texas, and he said military punishment is also possible for Atwater, regardless of the outcome of the federal case.
wmaousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:09   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Boneheads

Boneheads do slip through the cracks every now and again.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Question Anyone know this guy?..........

He's apparently on active duty,anyone know him personally..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19   #4
ddoering
Quiet Professional

What, you guys don't keep a pack of M112 in your carry on bag for emergencies?

I imagine Ernie T has been getting phone calls.....
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52   #5
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
"military grade explosives wrapping"
I wonder if he had some mylar stuffed in a pocket.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25   #6
Electron
Guerrilla

Maybe he figured he might need it just in case. I'm curious to see his explanation.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28   #7
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down Idiot!

I was praying he wouldn't turn out to be an 18c. Dumbass!
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote