Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 11-10-2011, 06:09   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

One Man Guerrilla - Hiroo Onoda

In March of 1974, some 29 years after the official end of World War II, Hiroo Onoda, a former Japanese Army intelligence officer, walked out of the jungle of Lubang Island in the Philippines, where he was finally relieved of duty. He handed over his sword (hanging from his hip in photo), his rifle, ammunition and several hand grenades. Onoda had been sent to Lubang Island in December of 1944 to join an existing group of soldiers and hamper any enemy attacks. Allied forces overtook the island just a few months later, capturing or killing all but Onoda and three other Japanese soldiers. The four ran into the hills and began a decades-long insurgency extending well past the end of the war. Several times they found or were handed leaflets notifying them that the war had ended, but they refused to believe it. In 1950, one of the soldiers turned himself in to Philippine authorities. By 1972, Onoda's two other compatriots were dead, killed during guerrilla activities, leaving Onoda alone. In 1974, Onoda met a Japanese college dropout, Norio Suzuki, who was traveling the world, and through their friendship, Onoda's former commanding officer was located and flew to Lubang Island to formally relieve Onoda of duty, and bring him home to Japan. Over the years, the small group had killed some 30 Filipinos in various attacks, but Onoda ended up going free, after he received a pardon from President Ferdinand Marcos.

And so it goes...

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT Onoda 1974.jpg (89.3 KB, 150 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Now, that's a soldier.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03   #3
JimP
Quiet Professional

Badass. No matter what you think of the Japanese soldier's conduct during the war, this cat is a testament to duty, honor, country. What a story - I certainly hope there's a book out there somewhere on this cat.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
What a story - I certainly hope there's a book out there somewhere on this cat.
No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War

http://www.amazon.com/No-Surrender-T.../dp/1557506639

Gutes lesen!

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No Surrender.jpg (32.0 KB, 32 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16   #5
mark46th
Quiet Professional

After what the Japanese did to Filipino civilians during WWII, I am surprised they let him go. I guess time does heal all wounds...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War

http://www.amazon.com/No-Surrender-T.../dp/1557506639

Gutes lesen!

Richard
sicher!

http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...ight=surrender

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-s...-wouldnt-quit/
He did give back to the people over there

Quote:
When Onoda returned to meet with Suzuki and his old commander, he arrived in what was left of his dress uniform, wearing his sword and carrying his still-working Arisaka rifle, 500 rounds of ammunition, and several hand grenades.
Talk about the meticulous rifle (and ammo) maintenance required in 30 years of tropical climate. What was that old creed: This is my rifle.....

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 11-11-2011 at 01:44.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:19   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

It seems incredible he didn't read any of the dropped leaflets or heard that the war was over.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 14:54   #8
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
It seems incredible he didn't read any of the dropped leaflets or heard that the war was over.............

Big Teddy
Quote:
It was upon killing one of these cows that one of the soldiers found a note some months later. It was a leaflet left behind by a local resident, and it said, “The war ended on August 15. Come down from the mountains!” The Japanese guerrilla soldiers scrutinized the note, and decided that was an Allied propaganda trick to coax them out of hiding. It was not the only message they encountered; over the years, fliers were dropped from planes, newspapers were left, and letters from relatives with photos. Each attempt was viewed by the soldiers as a clever hoax constructed by the Allies.

In September of 1949, over four years after the four men went into hiding, one of Onoda’s fellow soldiers decided that he had had enough. Without a word to the others, Private Akatsu snuck away one day, and the Sugi Brigade was reduced to three men. Sometime in 1950 they found a note from Akatsu, which informed the others that he had been greeted by friendly troops when he left the jungle. To the remaining men, it was clear that Akatsu was being coerced into working for the enemy, and was not to be trusted. They continued their guerrilla attacks, but more cautiously.
He sure did, but he is the embodiment of the True Believer in NDD's signature:

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home. He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 18:19   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
He sure did, but he is the embodiment of the True Believer in NDD's signature:

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home. He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
They continued their guerrilla attacks, but more cautiously.

Their guerrilla attacks on who?.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 18:59   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
They continued their guerrilla attacks, but more cautiously. Their guerrilla attacks on who?
Teddy,

Well...since they were on Lubang Island...I'm fairly certain it wasn't the Tralfamadorans.

Richard