Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-11-2011, 15:18   #16
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
So work it - and remember to bulk and weight out your weapon and ammo when you're loading up if your going to a place that does not allow weapons and ammo. Weapons and ammo weigh a lot and if you drop the bulk and weight you can sneak in a bunch of Twinkies - no fair - thats cheating .
Although now soldiers can *talk* about the twinkies in their fanny-packs.
Old 01-11-2011, 15:24   #17
cmts58
Asset

Hey now, Twinkies are a part of the Warfighter's balanced diet, especially deep fried.

"...and this is why we can't have nice things."
cmts58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:08   #18
JimP
Quiet Professional

Dude - WAY too much stuff. A Large trashbag (you can stuff it with leaves/needles/grass for insulation when sleeping); a water purifier and cup; a means to make fire; and some signalling device and you'll be fine.

Learn how to make debris shelters. Pete had great advice - make a list and then go "live it". After a couple days of suck-fest, you'll be surprised at what was surplus and what was essential. Continue to refine your kit - from what you wear (pockets; stowability); signalling; to what you'll carry and what you need to move and survive.

From the pro's I've seen, they could pull enough stuff out of their pockets to "get by". Attached to them is another layer for longer duration/better comfort/mission-essential items. Carried in bags/rucks is more "stuff" not immediately needed/necessary.

Be surprised at how little you "need" to survive and what - particularly as we get older - we 'want" when in the woods.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:13   #19
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

When I was on a Team, all they issued us for a 6 month deployment was a pilot knife, a little bottle of halazone and one meellion rounds of ammo. When did they change that?
Old 01-11-2011, 17:08   #20
Pete
Quiet Professional

After.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
When I was on a Team, all they issued us for a 6 month deployment was a pilot knife, a little bottle of halazone and one meellion rounds of ammo. When did they change that?
After the last hard class.......
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 18:28   #21
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

dainbrain - Just one small hint: If you want to "play soldier" or prepare for TEOTWAWKI, do it where/when you're not going to upset the locals. If you go wandering around in the woods with the crap you've got listed - somebody will call the local sheriff. Save the airsoft getup for weekends with your buddies where you're not likely to encounter granola eaters. Witness Arizona - fringe lunatics are going to be getting a lot of scrutiny - and people wandering around in the woods in a militia getup qualify as fringe lunatics. Learn wilderness skills the traditional way, with unremarkable civilian equipment, preferably with unremarkable friends to enhance the learning experience. My .02, YMMV.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 19:14   #22
monsterhunter
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
dainbrain - Just one small hint: If you want to "play soldier" or prepare for TEOTWAWKI, do it where/when you're not going to upset the locals. If you go wandering around in the woods with the crap you've got listed - somebody will call the local sheriff. Save the airsoft getup for weekends with your buddies where you're not likely to encounter granola eaters. Witness Arizona - fringe lunatics are going to be getting a lot of scrutiny - and people wandering around in the woods in a militia getup qualify as fringe lunatics. Learn wilderness skills the traditional way, with unremarkable civilian equipment, preferably with unremarkable friends to enhance the learning experience. My .02, YMMV.
I think the above advice is crap! Should the zombies come to life the weekend of your trip, and you followed Peregrino's advce, you are screwed. Use the local sheriff to work on your E&E skills.

After all - the sheriff needs practice too! Peregrino
monsterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 21:47   #23
cmts58
Asset

Or you could sign up for Mantracker...

"...and this is why we can't have nice things."
cmts58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 21:58   #24
wet dog

Brain

I always liked the name "brain", it reminds me of Harry Dean Stanton as Brain in the movie Escapre from New York.

In your intro, you mentioned limited military experience due to heat exhaustion in OSUT. What is the prognosis today?

You are new to PS.com and we welcome questions, but use your "search fu" skills. There are many threads that cover basic loads, equipment and what works vs. not work conclusions.

Are you training for something specific?

Last edited by wet dog; 01-12-2011 at 07:38.
Old 01-12-2011, 13:39   #25
dainbrain
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I always liked the name "brain", it reminds me of Harry Dean Stanton as Brain in the movie Escapre from New York.
I got that name for being a bit of a nerdy computer guy (it is what it is, I'm sure somebody here plays World of Warcraft).

Quote:
In your intro, you mentioned limited military experience due to heat exhaustion in OSUT. What is the prognosis today?
I don't recall saying heat exhaustion was the cause, but it was related to that. I passed out and sustained a serious head injury which resulted in a couple seizures. It's a bit of longer story than that, which I will freely and truthfully elaborate on if anyone wants to know.

Prognosis today is perfect health. Tried to get back in once, was denied. Years later was informed that 'there's a waiver for everything'. Went seeking guidance from several retired friends much older and than myself who advised me to remain a civilian, take care of my family, try to be a better person, and thank the Lord everyday for my freedoms that were gained by the blood of heroes. I still wrestle with it every single day, it weighs on me.

Quote:
You are new to PS.com and we welcome questions, but use your "search fu" skills. There are many threads that cover basic loads, equipment and what works vs. not work conclusions.
Thank you for the training. My search-fu has proven to be weak I suppose. That and due to my ignorance on certain subjects, I guess I wasn't even sure what I was really looking for. I feel I was guided a little back to the straight and narrow from the advice above.

Quote:
Are you training for something specific?
I guess I try to train for unknown unknowns. I'm not a zombie hunter or a nazi slayer or any of that bullshit. I'm a young guy, fairly new to the fatherhood club. I'm a conservative and a Christian (but not a fanatic). I obey the law, pay taxes, vote, and try to fulfill any of my other obligations as a citizen the best way I know how. I feel obligated to be able to protect my family, my friends, and my country if I'm ever needed to do so, because I believe that we should not rely solely on our government to secure our quality of life.

So I guess I try to train for any situation I can think of, and I try to keep my brain sharp during times of stress.

Sorry for the mouth diarrhea. Sincere thanks.

Last edited by dainbrain; 01-12-2011 at 14:52.
dainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 13:52   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainbrain View Post
I guess I try to train for unknown unknowns. I'm not a zombie hunter or a nazi slayer or any of that bullshit.
Bullshit is it? Well, try to remember that when your brains are being eaten or they skin you of your tatoos to make a lampshade. Trained for everything? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dainbrain View Post
Sorry for the mouth diarrhea. Sincere thanks.
No apologies necessary. Quite the contrary, thank you,. We so seldom get this opportunity.

(really, 12-21-12 is a reality. be ready)
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 15:23   #27
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Bullshit is it? Well, try to remember that when your brains are being eaten or they skin you of your tatoos to make a lampshade. Trained for everything? I think not.
No apologies necessary. Quite the contrary, thank you,. We so seldom get this opportunity.

(really, 12-21-12 is a reality. be ready)
TOUCHE'

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote