Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-25-2006, 20:58   #136
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Cheap bastard.
Yessiree, Bob! I learned to live on enlisted and NCO pay prior to getting edumacated and having fancy letters after my name - then I got divorced, and she got half of everything - but no alimony. Better cheap than debt ridden. Plus AL has seen the GB movie.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 21:19   #137
Q
Quiet Professional

Speaking of the movie

You guys ain't gonna believe this. I have a group, black and white photo of JW and the A-Team they used for the walk-on. Did you know they built the A-Camp at Benning right off the DZ they used for Jump School.....what the heck was the name of that DZ? Damn I'm gettin' old! Regardless what you might think of the Duke he and his family were great supporters of Group. But I've got to agree Maggie was the best. "Q".

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!" Then the Lord said, "Go........Isaiah 6:8
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 21:20   #138
Tubbs
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
I will have to confer with counsel, AL, not RL - and get back to you. Since you were a Marine, we may have to cut you some slack, realizing that you are already 'challenged'.... Ultimate proof being that you chose to live in West Texas - or is it West, Texas by Waco....
WHOA!!!

Them's fightin' words. I would never choose to live in West Texas(although originally being from Boston I am NOT a Kennedy supporter). My options were to...
a. live with my wife in West Texas for 6 months to a year or
b. find a new wife

But yeah, I can't argue with the rest of it. At least it was all "good training" .
Old 07-25-2006, 21:21   #139
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
You guys ain't gonna believe this. I have a group, black and white photo of JW and the A-Team they used for the walk-on. Did you know they built the A-Camp at Benning right off the DZ they used for Jump School.....what the heck was the name of that DZ? Damn I'm gettin' old! Regardless what you might think of the Duke he and his family were great supporters of Group. But I've got to agree Maggie was the best. "Q".
Fryar DZ.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 21:23   #140
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Fryar, or Luzon were the 2 they used for ABN

Dammit TR, you beat me to it while I was typing.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
Old 07-25-2006, 21:27   #141
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
WHOA!!!

Them's fightin' words. I would never choose to live in West Texas(although originally being from Boston I am NOT a Kennedy supporter). My options were to...
a. live with my wife in West Texas for 6 months to a year or
b. find a new wife

But yeah, I can't argue with the rest of it. At least it was all "good training" .

fort Woth was bad enough for me - but I do have a cousin in The land that oil has sunk, literally, the area has dropped by a foot since they started pumping - Odessa-Permian area.

Old 07-25-2006, 21:30   #142
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

If Doc Farr ever posts again, I believe he has an interesting story regarding airborne ops and The Duke's A-Camp.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 21:32   #143
Tubbs
Guerrilla

Quote:
fort Woth was bad enough for me - but I do have a cousin in The land that oil has sunk, literally, the area has dropped by a foot since they started pumping - Odessa-Permian area.
Trust me, as soon as I get out of this dump I am never looking back. After this experience I told my wife it was me or the AF. If I get my job before she re-ups then we're out. If not...well, I have a nice apron and I can probobly get some pointers from the lovely ladies on the site.
Old 07-25-2006, 21:55   #144
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
Trust me, as soon as I get out of this dump I am never looking back. After this experience I told my wife it was me or the AF. If I get my job before she re-ups then we're out. If not...well, I have a nice apron and I can probobly get some pointers from the lovely ladies on the site.

Being a house hubby is all that not bad, it has advantages. Set yourself up a small business, helps prevent massive boredom. Generally the wife has the biggest problems with it. I have found a good dinner calms the savage beast.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 22:29   #145
Tubbs
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS
Being a house hubby is all that not bad, it has advantages. Set yourself up a small business, helps prevent massive boredom. Generally the wife has the biggest problems with it. I have found a good dinner calms the savage beast.
Well, I do the cooking anyways, so being a house husband was actually her idea. I tried the small business thing but apperently thugery is not a legitimate business.
Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2006, 22:31   #146
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Yeah Q. Maggie was the BEST!!!!! I was privileged for two nights a long time ago to have sat, BS'd and drank with her back at Flint. The second night, it somehow turned out at the end of the night in the NCO club it was just her and I. That woman could drinkkkkkkkk. My estimate was easily a fifth of vodka. So being it was just her and I and really late/early. I drove her back to her quarters in my '61 VW. This was in 1970... maybe early '71. We don't often get to be around people like that. Not the celebrity...... the person. Incredible!!!!!!!

While she was there, we got a sheet or something like it and she signed it as we all did. She had a special room in her home for SF stuff. As I understand it, that room was recreated at the SF museum at Bragg. I realize she had collected a ton throughout her years with SF. Just wondering if any of you still at Bragg have seen the display and if that 'sheet' is there.

BTW. When I was in. JW had the Team House. Yes any guy that was SF or past SF could go and stay there.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34   #147
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
If Doc Farr ever posts again, I believe he has an interesting story regarding airborne ops and The Duke's A-Camp.
Doc Farr was possibly the best instructor I ever had in SF, tough but fair, plus Doc Rocky used to be a 91B(S) NCO, so he knew what we really needed on a team.

NDD - I've heard the story, years ago at Ft Sam, prior to one of our 'keep the pay' jumps in the briar fields of the NG tng area outside San Antonio, can't remember details, all I remember is we were all laughing so hard that it was difficult to get into our harnesses.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:11   #148
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Doc Farr was possibly the best instructor I ever had in SF, tough but fair, plus Doc Rocky used to be a 91B(S) NCO, so he knew what we really needed on a team.

NDD - I've heard the story, years ago at Ft Sam, prior to one of our 'keep the pay' jumps in the briar fields of the NG tng area outside San Antonio, can't remember details, all I remember is we were all laughing so hard that it was difficult to get into our harnesses.
So who is going to get Doc Farr to come in here and tell the story?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:58   #149
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Yeah Q. Maggie was the BEST!!!!! I was privileged for two nights a long time ago to have sat, BS'd and drank with her back at Flint. The second night, it somehow turned out at the end of the night in the NCO club it was just her and I. That woman could drinkkkkkkkk. My estimate was easily a fifth of vodka. So being it was just her and I and really late/early. I drove her back to her quarters in my '61 VW. This was in 1970... maybe early '71. We don't often get to be around people like that. Not the celebrity...... the person. Incredible!!!!!!!

While she was there, we got a sheet or something like it and she signed it as we all did. She had a special room in her home for SF stuff. As I understand it, that room was recreated at the SF museum at Bragg. I realize she had collected a ton throughout her years with SF. Just wondering if any of you still at Bragg have seen the display and if that 'sheet' is there.

BTW. When I was in. JW had the Team House. Yes any guy that was SF or past SF could go and stay there.

If someone wants to start a COL Martha/Maggie thread, I'll contribute to it.
Old 07-26-2006, 14:08   #150
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
So who is going to get Doc Farr to come in here and tell the story?

Somebody has got to track down COL Rocky Farr (Jeez, he used to just be a CPT when he taught us) and get the man to post a little. NDD, TS, TR - any contact with DOC Farr?