Old 03-28-2007, 16:35   #1
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Dry firing pistol training

Recently it was suggested that I spend 70% of my time at the range in dry firing exercises and the remaining 30% live firing.

While I do dry fire often, unloaded of course, this persons exercise drills and the resulting proficiency with 30% of the remainder of my time life firing seems like solid instruction.

What do you think of dry firing and it's practicallity to accuracy, speed and timing of live fire shooting ? Taking muscle memory and trigger press and grip into account.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 17:01   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndtrooper
Recently it was suggested that I spend 70% of my time at the range in dry firing exercises and the remaining 30% live firing.

While I do dry fire often, unloaded of course, this persons exercise drills and the resulting proficiency with 30% of the remainder of my time life firing seems like solid instruction.

What do you think of dry firing and it's practicallity to accuracy, speed and timing of live fire shooting ? Taking muscle memory and trigger press and grip into account.
Dry firing is almost as important as using the "search" button on ProfessionalSoldiers.com.

Had you done so you'd have found about 22 threads discussing dry firing, now 23.

I've heard it suggested spending more time reading and less posting sharpens one's ProfessionalSoldiers.com bulletin board survival skills.

Team Sergeant
Old 03-28-2007, 17:17   #3
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Point recieved.

Point taken. Will not make that mistake again.

The time spent dry firing was a suggestion from Paul Howe.
Old 03-28-2007, 18:58   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Point taken. Will not make that mistake again.

The time spent dry firing was a suggestion from Paul Howe.
Yes, I'm sure it was... some of us have had some of the same training as Paul Howe. Have you used the search button on "Paul Howe"? Just a thought.

Team Sergeant
Old 03-28-2007, 20:09   #5
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Paul Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Yes, I'm sure it was... some of us have had some of the same training as Paul Howe. Have you used the search button on "Paul Howe"? Just a thought.

Team Sergeant
Yes I have read the Paul Howe thread/s .

The concept of spending a 70%/30% dry/live fire was stated in one his training simulations with PD officers on another forum. Although he did not break down the types of drills and remediation drills for the dry/live fire portion of his training. I did not see this explained in the "Paul Howe" thread stating specifics.

I did use the search feature, but nothing specifically addressed this. I'll not post again until I find more specific question that has not been addressed.
Old 03-28-2007, 20:39   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes I have read the Paul Howe thread/s .

The concept of spending a 70%/30% dry/live fire was stated in one his training simulations with PD officers on another forum. Although he did not break down the types of drills and remediation drills for the dry/live fire portion of his training. I did not see this explained in the "Paul Howe" thread stating specifics.

I did use the search feature, but nothing specifically addressed this. I'll not post again until I find more specific question that has not been addressed.
If we told you everything you need to know how would Paul make a living?
Old 03-28-2007, 23:03   #7
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

CSAT Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
If we told you everything you need to know how would Paul make a living?

I'll sign up for one of his pistol/carbine courses and bring back a full AAR. Give me a few months though.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09   #8
jatx
Area Commander

82nd,

Paul does not teach dry fire drills. He teaches his students to shoot to a specific standard of speed and accuracy at a variety of ranges and shooting positions. For carbine, those are included in my AAR. To get value from the dry fire training, though, you will need to know what you are working on aside from trigger squeeze and speed. That's where a coach like Paul adds value.

In my limited experience, which is miniscule compared to others here, the area where dry fire training has helped me the most has been follow through, i.e. two complete sight pictures for each shot. That is really important when you start to try to build speed while maintaining accuracy.

If you are contemplating one of his courses, but have been out of the service for awhile, you might also consider revisiting the fundamentals as laid out in the BRM FM. As Paul says, "High speed means doing the basics perfectly every time."

For live fire training, you should look into purchasing a shot timer.

I hope this helps.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:21   #9
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Timer and Follow through

Here is one of the articles that I found where Paul Howe mentions the 70/30 % concept of dry/live fire and the use of a timer with emphasis on follow through. It's long but worth the read.

http://www.policeone.com/writers/col...icles/1204309/