Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41   #1
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Private Shooting Range Backstop

I am picking up 20-30 railroad ties this weekend for the purpose of building a backstop for a personal shooting range on my property. I live on extremely flat prairie. Mostly handgun, small rifle caliber and occasional shotgun with ranges out to about 100m.

Any advice?

I must be google-challenged since I couldn't find anything on this.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Target View Post
I am picking up 20-30 railroad ties this weekend for the purpose of building a backstop for a personal shooting range on my property. I live on extremely flat prairie. Mostly handgun, small rifle caliber and occasional shotgun with ranges out to about 100m.

Any advice?

I must be google-challenged since I couldn't find anything on this.
Use a lot of dirt as well, and plan your range fan for ricochets and overshots. Someone eventually, will wing one over the backstop.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

What's wrong with a nice high dirt mound? Throw some fertilizer on it to grow some weeds to stabilize it and you have the perfect back stop.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35   #4
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Thanks, Guys. At least now I'm expanding my thinking.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
If it is that flat,,

TRENCH,, at least for the short range,, You can get someone with a bulldozer or even a plow-blade tractor and just plow a trench 40-50 ft wide x 10-15 ft deep. use the tailings to build a burn around the target end.. Just look for a spot that is 30 - 40 ft above the water table,, so you don't create a swimming hole...

I have seen some good improvised ranges at streams that erode pastures, creating trenches that are almost perfect for ad-hoc target shooting..

An aside: I have use RR ties to line my drive-way, very common here,, about 5% of the ties have spikes and rail plates still attached.

Good Luck,, when your done,, let's see some pictures...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:46   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

If you're really into it you could bulldoze and big U shape and shoot 270 degrees!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26   #7
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
If you're really into it you could bulldoze and big U shape and shoot 270 degrees!
Thanks again. I've been told I do that anyway
Old 02-05-2009, 11:49   #8
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Over shooting.

You can do a lot to prevent shooting over the berm. You can erect an over head baffle about 1/3 distance the range to stop the occasional stray. The baffle should be low enough to shoot under and just high enough to catch the strays. Watch your ballistic arch to the target. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 02-08-2009 at 07:00. Reason: spelling
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I also hear that if you shoot from behind a log, you need to check and make sure that the muzzle is clear, despite how nice a view of the target you have through the optic.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I also hear that if you shoot from behind a log, you need to check and make sure that the muzzle is clear, despite how nice a view of the target you have through the optic.

TR
Yup, this is also extremely important if one is about to pull the trigger on the M-203......
Old 02-05-2009, 12:09   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
TR - You refering to our stupid stick?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 13:07   #12
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
TR - You refering to our stupid stick?
LR1947: You did not see me do that on Empire Range during Range Week!
Old 02-05-2009, 13:15   #13
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Target View Post
LR1947: You did not see me do that on Empire Range during Range Week!
I smell a story brewing . . .

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 14:40   #14
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

I don't remember.

To quote one of my heroes: "I know nothing!" Feldwebel Schultz
Old 02-05-2009, 14:42   #15
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

OK. RUMOR was that someone shot the shooting stand on the firing line on the .45 range. It was NOT me.