Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-26-2013, 15:55   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

Only the SEALs would spend money on waterproof paper...and then plan to use an ink pen instead of a pencil.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 16:12   #17
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I haven't seen any mention of benzedrine or toilet paper.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21   #18
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
When I was in Ranger Batt we used to get a lot of M142 firing devices. We never really used the booby trap devices except to booby trap each others rooms but the cans made excellent survival containers. Basically a giant Altoids can.

(There were also coveted plastic versions that you could use as Copenhagen containers, they would hold like 2.5 cans of dip.)

Like MtnGoat said, seal it with tape, I liked electrical tape for that.

Another point would be: When was the last time we had a survival/E&E situation that warranted that much equipment, cost, and space? Marcus Luttrell? Scott O'Grady? "Gene" Hambleton?

I always had on my person: A trashbag (for water), a lighter (for fire), a knife, a piece of VS-17 panel, and an American Flag. I always had 550 cord and 100mph tape in my kit and ruck. SERE School taught you the rest that you needed to know.

Fish hooks? Not a lot of fish to be caught in the Helmand river and you can use a grenade for that, it's not even that loud! The idea of Hooah Bars stashed around your pockets would get you a lot farther than fish hooks IMHO. Not to mention SERE taught you how to make fish hooks if you need them.

Antibiotics, iodine, and bouillon cubes I see the benefit in, but it has to be durable and then you need a "kit" to keep them safe. A kit reminds me of the Army's version of the "Blowout kit" for GSWs. The ones individual 18Ds made for their teams were small and would fit in your modified sleeve pockets. Then on my second tour to A-Stan they handed out the IFAK kits that took up a whole section of your IBA. I took out the Chitosan bandages and vacuum sealed them in with the sleeve kits so my guys wouldn't have to wear those ridiculous things!
I currently roll with multi level of dual-purpose items. I.E.: Trash bags and Zip-lock bags in my plate area for survival and SSE. Many different survival and medical items across my equipment/kit and body. I started this trip with carrying batteries for all of my "Toys" in my shoulder pocket in a mini zip-lock bag. With protein/energy bars and cliff Shot Energy gel packages in my bottom leg pockets.

I view survival/E&E items need to be on every level you wear. Not just in a pouch or rucksack/backpack flap. Just my .02

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 19:11   #19
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

For a SEAL Survival Kit I didn't see a booklet with the numbers and emails of any publicists, or book publishers.
Old 02-27-2013, 20:21   #20
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I currently roll with multi level of dual-purpose items. I.E.: Trash bags and Zip-lock bags in my plate area for survival and SSE. Many different survival and medical items across my equipment/kit and body. I started this trip with carrying batteries for all of my "Toys" in my shoulder pocket in a mini zip-lock bag. With protein/energy bars and cliff Shot Energy gel packages in my bottom leg pockets.

I view survival/E&E items need to be on every level you wear. Not just in a pouch or rucksack/backpack flap. Just my .02
Concur on all...multipurpose and several levels.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 21:48   #21
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
For a SEAL Survival Kit I didn't see a booklet with the numbers and emails of any publicists, or book publishers.
I also noticed no hair products.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02   #22
eggroll
Guerrilla

Actually the containers are machined from 6061 aluminum billet and type III anodized.

The speced containers exist and are manufactured in Colorado Springs... ala the SUMA containers from SOLKOA Inc. I had a complete contingency kit in my work bag prior to it being stolen.

Unfortunately, the packing list was specific to devgru, but somehow that list found its way onto FedBizzOpps (in that quest to get it "Cheaper") and onward to TIME mag and this articles author wanted to hit on the Osama raid association and the publics love affair with any sealy

Last edited by eggroll; 06-07-2013 at 03:09.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote