Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:33   #1
Dadaleci
FTFSI

G-Shock questions

Hello Quiet Professionals, and those who respect the QP.

I've been reading on the web a lot of reviews about various watches, primarily the G-Shock's, which I've come to understand are good quality for the price and supported by more than a couple of members of this forum.

I searched these forums for the "G9000" model but could not find any results, so I'd like to ask about the G9000 in particular, as well as some other questions.

Firstly, my price range is any durable watch under $100.

1) The G9000 is the "Mudman" release by G-Shock, which is meant to be "mud resistant", does this claim mean that other G-Shock versions such as the G6900 are not (or less) mud resistant?

2) Has anyone worn the G9000 and are there any particular drawbacks that a deployed soldier might find to it?

I've read that these watches have "Auto Dual EL Backlights with Afterglow", I'm under the impression that this could reveal your position to an enemy, so has this posed a problem for anyone?

I do like the altimeter and barometer of the ProTrek, for example, but I won't worry about getting that right now unless I'm actually going into a situation that I will need it, as of right now I basically just want a rugged watch which will do what I want when I want, and not do unwanted things such as glowing in the dark when I'm trying not to be seen.

I also like that this watch (W94HF) is only $15 http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Wa...rts/W94HF-3AV/

It has a nylon band, which I prefer, but I've read it is a lot smaller, anyone have this watch that can comment?

Thank you in advance, QP
Old 11-02-2012, 15:27   #2
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Not sure if this will help or not, http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...=wrist+watches, . This is an older thread, but it may address some of your questions.

RF 1
Old 11-02-2012, 17:13   #3
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Not sure if this will help or not, http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...=wrist+watches, . This is an older thread, but it may address some of your questions.

RF 1
Hello Red Flag 1, thank you for your response. I have read that thread thoroughly and was interested in a few of the watches, but they were expensive for my taste. Also I know that some G-Shock's have brighter/dimmer lights than others, as well as other features that are more/less appealing to an active duty soldier.

I know that in the end of the day it is "just a watch", but I rarely buy items for myself and when I do, I am picky and like to buy something well crafted that will last a long time which I will thoroughly appreciate. Everyone has their faults, that's one of my many.

I have actually been shown a few nice watches, such as the Seiko seen in this picture... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...0,190,246_.jpg

But I imagine having many of the features on a digital watch outweighs the aesthetics of this analog one.
Old 11-02-2012, 19:01   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaleci View Post
But I imagine having many of the features on a digital watch outweighs the aesthetics of this analog one.
But there are things that an analog will do for you that a digital will not.

Personal preference...I prefer a watch with an analog function (available as a G-Shock)

A watch is not just for telling time. (do a search on field expedient direction finding)

James Madison
Old 11-02-2012, 19:13   #5
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have read that thread thoroughly and was interested in a few of the watches, but they were expensive for my taste. Also I know that some G-Shock's have brighter/dimmer lights than others, as well as other features that are more/less appealing to an active duty soldier.

I know that in the end of the day it is "just a watch", but I rarely buy items for myself and when I do, I am picky and like to buy something well crafted that will last a long time which I will thoroughly appreciate. Everyone has their faults, that's one of my many.

Is it advice you are looking for or validation for the decision you have made?

My advice? A quality field watch will cost you more than $100.00.

Much like the rest of the gear/kit/items we use in the field that we literally trust our lives to, you get what you pay for.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
Old 11-02-2012, 19:14   #6
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
But there are things that an analog will do for you that a digital will not.

Personal preference...I prefer a watch with an analog function (available as a G-Shock)

A watch is not just for telling time. (do a search on field expedient direction finding)
Hello Ret10Echo, that is true. Do you know of any durable analog watches (withstand exposure to lots of mud and being banged around)? I'm looking at the Traser Type 3 right now, it looks really nice, http://www.medalsofamerica.com/Item--i-W3008

Thanks for the responses so far,
Old 11-02-2012, 19:17   #7
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Is it advice you are looking for or validation for the decision you have made?

My advice? A quality field watch will cost you more than $100.00.

Much like the rest of the gear/kit/items we use in the field, you get what you pay for.
Well I like to discuss these decisions with people who have experienced using a good watch in a dirty environment, and hope to stumble upon a gem.

Indeed I would go for a mudman if I don't find a more appealing option.

I agree entirely with "Get what you pay for".
Old 11-02-2012, 19:19   #8
stfesta
Quiet Professional

http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Wa...ck/DW5600E-1V/

I've had one of these for about 20 years. I finally replaced it...with another one.

I agree with knowing your survival directions but, there are ways around that.

Just my $0.02
sf
Old 11-02-2012, 19:39   #9
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hello Ret10Echo, that is true. Do you know of any durable analog watches (withstand exposure to lots of mud and being banged around)? I'm looking at the Traser Type 3 right now, it looks really nice, http://www.medalsofamerica.com/Item--i-W3008

Thanks for the responses so far,
It comes down to personal preference...what do you need this tool to do? (Yes at the end of the day, it's a tool...perhaps your preference is a tool that looks cool...that's up to you)

What standard of performance? Does there need to be a light...alarm...multiple alarms...analog function with digital capability...band, case...etc. You can buy an expensive watch that does a lot of what you don't need or you can buy a watch that does what you need. Depends on your criteria, and personal taste. If a G-Shock presents an attractive price point for you, I would suggest you look through their site and find one with the functionality you desire.

I've never had a watch that was categorized as "mud resistant" nor have I had one that stated in the documentation that it would survive 25,000+ feet unpressurized..but my G-Shock survived.

James Madison
Old 11-02-2012, 20:00   #10
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
It comes down to personal preference...what do you need this tool to do? (Yes at the end of the day, it's a tool...perhaps your preference is a tool that looks cool...that's up to you)

What standard of performance? Does there need to be a light...alarm...multiple alarms...analog function with digital capability...band, case...etc. You can buy an expensive watch that does a lot of what you don't need or you can buy a watch that does what you need. Depends on your criteria, and personal taste. If a G-Shock presents an attractive price point for you, I would suggest you look through their site and find one with the functionality you desire.

I've never had a watch that was categorized as "mud resistant" nor have I had one that stated in the documentation that it would survive 25,000+ feet unpressurized..but my G-Shock survived.
Good points from everyone, yes I've thought about the functionality and tried to imagine which features I need.

The thing is, I haven't been deployed before or in a spot where I needed to survive, so I can't say for certain. The "better to have and not need than to need and not have" quote comes to mind.

I'm going to get a g-shock since everyone raves about them, but now I'm very keen on trying out an analog, so I'm searching around for a solid accurate one.

I think I'll keep it simple for now, and later I can upgrade to a digital watch such as the ProTreks, with altimeter, compass, etc...

I know I've gone far from my original post, I should've been more vague, at the time though I was pretty set on the G-Shock G9000, which I still prefer over the other G-Shocks at the moment, but now I've seen some nice analog watches which really grabbed my attention.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:20   #11
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Hello Red Flag 1, thank you for your response. I have read that thread thoroughly and was interested in a few of the watches, but they were expensive for my taste. Also I know that some G-Shock's have brighter/dimmer lights than others, as well as other features that are more/less appealing to an active duty soldier.

I have actually been shown a few nice watches, such as the Seiko seen in this picture... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...0,190,246_.jpg

I am a watch geek, and have watches ranging from Timex to Rolex. The most useful watch that I have is a Citizen Skyhawk. It provides three time zones at a glance plus a slide rule function that I can use to estimate fuel consumption rates while flying. A time piece that I generally use day in and day out is a Casio AMW-320R, http://www.amazon.com/Casio-AMW320R-.../dp/B000GB1R5U,. This timepiece is analog/digital with dual timezones, alarms, timekeeping modes, etc. It is accurate, rugged, and within your price window.

Like most are saying, it is preference, and $ that makes the decision. For me the analog/digital is perfect; analog gives me time at a glance vs reading a digital product.

Be well,

RF 1
Old 11-02-2012, 20:29   #12
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I generally use day in and day out is a Casio AMW-320R, http://www.amazon.com/Casio-AMW320R-.../dp/B000GB1R5U,. This timepiece is analog/digital with dual timezones, alarms, timekeeping modes, etc
RF.... Same day-to-day timepiece I wear only with yellow dial

James Madison
Old 11-02-2012, 20:40   #13
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I have never owned a G-Shock G9000, I have owned some G-shocks. I like them. No issues.

What are you looking for in a watch?

I will give a review on a Timex Expedition Shock, I love this watch. Go for military use, not an altimeter watch, but has a compass. Which the compass you can turn off and on as needed. Which helps with battery life. I love this watch night funtion, whihc you turn on so any button you push the light turns on. It takes a beating for sure. I got mine from the PX for around $60.00.

I hate Sunnto now, their first couple of years they were the shit. Not now.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 11-02-2012, 21:06   #14
Dadaleci
FTFSI

Quote:
I am a watch geek, and have watches ranging from Timex to Rolex. The most useful watch that I have is a Citizen Skyhawk. It provides three time zones at a glance plus a slide rule function that I can use to estimate fuel consumption rates while flying. A time piece that I generally use day in and day out is a Casio AMW-320R, http://www.amazon.com/Casio-AMW320R-.../dp/B000GB1R5U,. This timepiece is analog/digital with dual timezones, alarms, timekeeping modes, etc. It is accurate, rugged, and within your price window.

Like most are saying, it is preference, and $ that makes the decision. For me the analog/digital is perfect; analog gives me time at a glance vs reading a digital product.

Be well,

RF 1
That Casio AMW-320R is very nice indeed, and will save me some money.

So here is a new question, as I've read some mixed opinions about lighting... Are the hands bright and need to be covered during a mission? Does it expose your position to the naked eye, or NVGS?

I'd like to know these valuable life saving facts, as well as whether it ticks loudly? Is the steel shiny? The steel looks okay but can be hard to tell from a picture.

Thank you.

MtnGoat, yes that Timex was on my watchlist but I figured I might as well get a G-Shock if I'm going for the rugged route. Because I'm new to watches, as I've never bothered wearing one before, I'm overwhelmed by the options available, so I don't know exactly what I want, I discover new elements which are changing my opinion by the hour. At the moment, after reading an insightful post on a different forum, I'm keen on something light and durable, reliably accurate, which won't draw attention due to its brightness, etc...

Thank you all again
Old 11-03-2012, 13:04   #15
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
MtnGoat, yes that Timex was on my watchlist but I figured I might as well get a G-Shock if I'm going for the rugged route. Because I'm new to watches, as I've never bothered wearing one before, I'm overwhelmed by the options available, so I don't know exactly what I want, I discover new elements which are changing my opinion by the hour. At the moment, after reading an insightful post on a different forum, I'm keen on something light and durable, reliably accurate, which won't draw attention due to its brightness, etc...

Thank you all again
If you're look at the enemy seeing you light from your watch, IMO that is not something you'll be looking at or needing to turn on. They are close!! The fire going on is OUT GOING FIRE!!

I like the Expedition and it is very rugged.

I will say this, don't pay for a feature that you will never use or only use a couple of times. I.E.: altimeter watch when you don't climb mountians, if you're looking towards Afghanistan, great but IMO altimeter not need here. If you are looking for tracking movement along a mountainous environment then I would even look towards these ones, they have GPS features too:

(I don't own any of these, but poeple love them, but more for fitness that I know that have them)

New Model Garmin Forerunner 110 $150-$200
Garmin Forerunner 910XT (Heffty price tag tho.. $450-$500!!)
Timex Ironman Run trainier GPS $200-$250

Most guys nowadays wear some kind of GPS on them. Most wear a Garmin Forerunner

What do you want the watch for again?? If you want a Rugged beefy watch, you can find one for $40.00.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Closed Thread